Omeprazole and Birth control pill?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been prescribed omeprazole for long term dyspepsia, I was wondering if anyone knew if it affects birth control pills at all? The one I'm on is Rigevidon which from what I gather is the same as Microgynon?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I was on Omeprazole for heartburn but I'm not on the contraceptive pill so I can't answer your question.

I took myself off of it as it made me feel awful, headaches, blurred vision, dizziness and generally feeling unwell, I was on it for about 4-5 weeks, now I just take Gaviscon which works just aswell and doesn't have any side effects

• Posted

Hi Bethan

I only know that omeprazole can inhibit absorption of iron, which I found out myself when anaemic.

If you take the omeprazole in the morning half hour before food as instructed, and the birth control in the evening, that may be the best suggestion.

But I would definately check with your GP or pharmacist to be safe. Best wishes

• Posted

Omeprazole doesn't affect birth control, I've been on birth control the whole time I was using the tablets

• Posted

How long have you been taking Omeprazole and at which dosage? Any sides from it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.