omeprazole made me feel like a zombie!

Posted , 10 users are following.

I started taking this drug about 10 days ago as I had never heard of it, and went to the doctor with bad indigestion. I don't  like taking medications but I was in pain and thought what harm could it do. Anyway I started getting really strange feelings like I was in a bit of a dream, and getting really anxious when I went out walking on my own. I started panicking about getting home,and getting dizzy. Then I had a weird dizzy spell while parking my car. I went to my doctor who said my blood pressure was high and my heartbeat very fast and booked me in for an ECG and blood tests to check thyroid,liver function etcetera. I then became worse, I couldn't watch TV as it was making me feel dizzy, couldn't go to the gym as that made me dizzy. Sounds were too loud as I had a crushing feeling of pressure in my head,especially at the back. I couldn't hardly make a cup of tea,all I could do was lie quietly on the sofa without moving! Anyway I stopped taking the omeprazole on Thursday, four days ago. I only took 8 in total. Then on Sunday my sister suggested we go for a walk and I reluctantly agreed,by the times d come back from the walk my husband couldn't believe the change,I was almost back to normal without the dizziness and anxiety and headache. Today I'm just a bit light headed, but not like I was before.  I suggested to my doctor when I went in with the dizziness it was the omeprazole and she said that they had no side effects!!! It was like a bad trip, the whole experience.i did the blood tests and will see how they turn out, but I am convinced it is the medication as the symptoms started and finished alongside my taking this drug.they worked great for my stomach,but I was like a zombie. Hopefully the drugs will work their way out of my system completely quite soon. 

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Jane....I have been on these tablets for a long time  15 yrs & I too have experienced lightheaded feeling/Anxiety/foggy head, cant think straight/ eyes not focus.. Doctors game me all sorts of tests, and said all was ok.

I have come off the tablets now ( 4 weeks ), only have a slight improvement & guess it may take many months to get out of my system due to the length of time being on them.....Im sure in getting better. Kind regards to you.

• Posted

Oh I hope you feel better soon Pamela. I Definitely felt better yesterday, now I've got some symptoms back, very lightheaded and headache. I guess it takes a while to get out of the system even though I only took it for a short time. It will be interesting to hear what my doctors says on Friday when I tell her I think its the omeprazole. You have been on them a long time so it will probably take some time to clear. Best wishes
  • Posted

Wow, what a scary experience you had Jane.  It sounds like more than side effects.  Sounds like an allergy.  Whatever it was, the Doctor should have given more acknowledgement of your symptoms.  They just dole out this stuff and have a blind eye to side effects that are listed and reported by their own patients.  I refused to take these meds for years, but my Doctor did a little scare tactic with me, using the "C" word relating to my lungs and esophogus, and I was weak and just gave in.  I am sorry also.  Be strong everyone!
    • Posted

yes it's like an allergic reaction. Every time I take anything from the doctors it usually makes me feel worse! I generally go for natural stuff if I can. Hope my doctor is understanding this time, and admits it's the tablets!
    • Posted

Good luck with that one Jane.  I have no faith in medical field anymore.  I am like you.  I prefer the natural stuff and Naturopaths.  Only trouble is, Medicare doesn't pay for it.
    • Posted

I have spent a small fortune on alternative treatment in the last few years. Its done more for me than the doctors. A big part is that they actually listen, or have time to listen. I only went to the GP as I was away from home and in pain, normally I would have asked my nutricianist. She will tell me off for taking this medication!., she's totally against doctors, having heard so many bad experiences. She treats everything through diet.
    • Posted

Hi Misellie, dont forget that the Meidcal profession training etc is funding in a major way by the Pharmaceutical companies and thus, there has to be a fair amount of indoctrination regarding the efficiency of a product and dismissal of side effects. The law needs to be changed regarding the legalities of making the public aware of such.

The 'C' word is predominant and if you look up the research, since this vile drug has been freely prescribed to the public, the increase of Oesophageal cancer has increased massively. 

Why?

Because the iissue  is only in part due to the acid, if you have reflux, this drug does NOT stop it..it merely stops the pain you feel from the acid by stopping you produce acid (its a PPI = Proton Pump Inhibitor...Proton pumps are what secrete the acid) 

If you take a PPI and your pain is due to GERD, reflux... you are more at risk of getting carcinoma because you wont feel the reflux.

Also, because the reflux is still present, you are far more likely to suffer countless chest infections and could asphyxiate on vomit whilst sleeping... This all apart from stopping you absorb vital vitamins and minerals. 

Do your research on any drug youre given smile

• Posted

I also took these drugs stop then started some months later, I think they are an awful drug, I a, awaiting to have a gastroscope to find out why I get acid and treat if necessary with another drug if any, meanwhile I take gaviscone advance some aloe Vera in water 3 times a day and 200mg of peppermint oil morning eve with food and much better , it is food we eat and finding what we are in tolerant to, I think many of us experience these acid feeling with pain but if continues to see a consultant, meanwhile I think these GP just prescribe these tablets to much and they can mask other things and they definitely have side affects, I myself didn't have such bad side affects as yourself but I had cramping unsettled bowel movements and headaches, headache is the top side affect so this could of cause the dizziness you described. Try and get some more tests . Good luck 
  • Posted

Jane, I had been on this drug for a few years... I was so delighted that I could function on a normal level and be able to eat what I wanted and when I wanted. Working long hours in a hospital, it allowed me to eat 'on the trot' as it were, I never questioned the drug, I was ridiculous.. I had light headedness, I had muscle cramps etc etc, I thought it was the hours I was working.

Around 4 years ago, down to a vaccination I was given, I ended up being given a double dose of a different PPI, I couldnt stand up, I was so dizzy and fell breaking bones in my hand very badly. I was offered a DEXA scan and found out that I had Osteoporosis and Osteopenia. In short I was terrified.

I then, only then started doing research for my own problem and I was astounded by what I found, its changed my life and my whole thinking... I was getting chest infections almost fortnightly, I lived on antibiotics (I thought it was my childhood asthma returning) 

I changed my whole lifestyle, I found out that Im Lactose intollerant and this alone was a major player, I stopped eating meat and dairy and take only supplements, no drugs.

In the following 4 years after sorting out my nutrition (it took a while, coming off the drug took ages and it was nothing short of torture) I havent had a cold, chest infection and the light headed feeling, the muscle cramps have all gone. My finger nails are like iron, my hair is like it was in my 20's and in short... I feel brilliant.

I still get reflux and this is down to consuming food too late in the evening. I dont wish to have an operation so I will live with a hiatus hernia I have had since birth smile

I do hope youre feeling better but please dont take my word for all this, look it up, do your research and expect Medical professionals to argue this with you... Its your body, your life and we all need to be accountable for our own actions.

• Posted

Glad you sorted out your health. i really dont like pharmaceuticals, they are pushed by the doctors. A lot of my stomach problems are caused by stress I'm also going through the menopause, got aging parents, teenage children and a demanding job. So I'm a bit A Typical for stomach issues. My stomach pains are back now I stopped the omeprazole, so I'm hoping to manage it somehow. I take aloe vera, digestive enzymes and probiotics. Hopefully l can try and do less, which is the key too.
    • Posted

Madness,  please know you don't have to live with a Hiatal Hernia.  A Kineseologist can take care of that for you with a simple, very simple and painless, adjustment.  Many Chiropractors are also Kineseologists, but you have to search for one.  I have it done regularly.  It is not permanent.  And my Kineseologist is also a Nutritionist, he tells me it's something I am eating that my body is reacting to.  For instance, you might be allergic to cows milk , not lactose intolerant.  
  • Posted

Has anyone tried ranitidine? scared to take it as that might have the same side effects
    • Posted

Yes I have and allot better than omprezole not as many side affects as you can buy over the counter called Zantac, I personally prefer gaviscon advanced 200 mg peppermint and aloe Vera is God twice a day , but I have seen consultant and going private to have a gastroscope to see why I have acid before taking this kind medication.
  • Posted

First day yesterday on the omeprazole 20mg 2week supply.. Pain /discomfort is not there well kinda but no but I been feeling loopy somewhat tight chesteted short on breath feeling like the gas is on my chest. I woke up this morning with more frequent bowel movement and more of it then normal not diarrhea tho light headed lil headache drowsey.. I do suffer from ADD and panick attacks so the chest tightness shortness of breath could be from that . Although the slight headache tender is not normal feeling loopy drowsey like this is not normal. I feel better now in regards to chest and breathing. Oh and tired sleepy. I slept good took this med last night at around 9pm have not token it agin.. I'm a call the ER cuz that's who prescribed it to me and let them know my symptoms. I had blood work everything is good had X-ray and ultrasound done everything is good no gallstones etc. although I do need further testing for ulcers and gastritis which I'm getting treated like if I were to have ulcers even tho it's not dignosed is this right to do? I have a doctors appointment with a new doctor Monday so I dk if to just dc this med up till I see my doctor?? My story I been having off on pain discomfort since July got more prEsisitant 2weeks ago or so going on 3. Been having a lot of gas in my stomach burping acid reflex..I'm a big time drinker have not drank for lil over a week fatty food haven't really cut off spicy foods my favorite I have cut off. Anyone know if this is an ulcer or gastritis or just stress ?? Or of a medication u can refer
    • Posted

Well I think once you have test you will find the cause to treat, alcohol is the worst to cause acid reflux gastritis and ulcers , I was a social drinker and gave up 8 years ago for this reason, but still I have problems and I am fit as I have ever been, i excercise daily , have a great  healthy diet , but unfortunately I suffered trauma in my life loosing both parents and the grief was so bad on my stomach and unfortunately I had some issues in my employment which is resolved now and my life is all good and still I have problems, as I am a young 52 I went private last week and am having a gastroscope in few weeks as I am on holiday for 2 weeks. You can't put it all down to stress as life is one big roller coaster ,Mean while I take gaviscone until I find out what the problem is , we can all self diagnose and go on these forums but at the end of the day let the professionals diagnose . 😇good luck 
    • Posted

Well I don't drink everyday never did even when I would drink it wouldn't cause any issues at times discomfort but rare.. IT is gasy so I have cut way back on that. I just dk now if it's the med or my anxiety I see a doc soon so she can go over everything with me. I just dk if these symptoms r normal? And thanks like I said everything is fine with me as far as blood work infection pancritis, gallstones
    • Posted

That good to hear nice to go on this forum for support and talk to other suffereers . I hope you get sorted even though you find out nothing bad it is still horrible living with it daily and can make you anxious , and knowing what foods or how we feel triggers it. Lots luck to you 👼🌟

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.