Omeprazole not working

Posted , 50 users are following.

Can anyone help? I have suspected Acid Reflux and I have been taking Omeprazole for 3 weeks, I have only noticed a very slight improvement in my condition and I'm wondering if I should stop taking them or do they take much longer to take effect. I have to say I'm not too happy taking them with all the side effects!

5 likes, 79 replies

79 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have been taking them for a week with little change to my symptons but i am going to give them a few weeks.Have you tried increasing dose to 40mg?.
  • Posted

I was taking Omeprazole for 6 months before the symptoms significantly improved. This was long enough for the inflammation in my stomach to clear up and they are now no longer necessary. However, it caused lack of focus and blurring in my eyes which hasn't completely cleared up one year later. Hope this helps but I would warn some people suffer hair loss. I was lucky I didn't but my hair is still in very poor condition.

Jean

• Posted

Northeast how many mg were u on a day and may I ask what we're your symptoms and did u have to change your diet like low acid foods etc.. Thank u kindly
    • Posted

I have now been off antacids two month and still got blurry vision. How long did it take for this to stop please and what tests did you have done. I wish I had never taken these horrible tablets ever! Thank you
    • Posted

I am suffering from blurry vision and inability to focus and I stopped my antacids over two months ago.... did you see your GP about this and what happened please cos I am worried about it too.  I had taken Omeprazole for over three years at 40mg a day thebn Ranitidine 150mg twice a day for 2 months.... I wish I had never taken these terrible drugs ever!  I would appreciate any information that you have please.  thank you  Karen
    • Posted

Dear Jean, I have exactly the same problem with Omeprazole 20 mg.( gastro- resistant capsules ). I have been taken them in and off for years for reflux, but also because I have been taken a lot of pain killers since and accident in 1992. The pain killers are for Arthritus which is in my spine and mist joints etc. I find it hard to get to sleep for te last 23 years ! No GP told me their where side effects. My wife noticed lately that my hair has receded and going slightly bald on top ! My eyesore has been very blurred for some time now, and like your goodself I have been finding so very difficult to focus ! I have been loosing interest in our Engineering business which we started in 1977 ! I have unexplainable mood swings and loss of patients and tolerence which I never used to have ! Since reading your remarks a have been cutting down painkillers and all tablets related to IBS and diverticular problems ! Friends and Grandchildren and other members have been Prsying for me ( In Jesus Name! ) I have found Orayer had worked remarkably better than the mixture of drugs that GOs gave been subscribing ! I have to keep remind myself that drug Company's are multi billion ' Regimmes', and are not really interested in people's health but bottum line profit margins ! Although I am not far off 65, I aim to he " drug " free ASAP , has some of the stomach side effects have been worse than the pain ! Thanks for being an ear, and I sincerely hope you have moved forward and are well on the mend ! Good diet and faith, letting God do the worrying is the answer ! ( learning to relax and Living just one day at a time ! Which I am guilty of not doing for the past 38 years ! Never too late to start implimenting 'The Power To Change !'Kind regards, David.
    • Posted

I love not too late to start The Power of Change.

67 year old here on Omeprazole 40mg. (I took advil for arthrtiis pain and I am a great worrier that causes great anxiety....so here I am.

How do I know th Omeprazole is working. Some burning and now again some gnawing.  Not a pill popper here..but doing this....also I can tell a negative thought has reation in my stomach.  Doc also said to take Zantac or whatever that is called. It does help somewhat...so does Almond Milk

that seems to comfort me the most. He said to stay on Omeprazole for 30 days..which brings me to dec. 21..so not sure if I should do that or go for endo now....

Theresa

• Posted

Also, David are you still on omeprazole? How are you feeling?
    • Posted

Hi wanted to see how you are doing i have had same side effects with omeprazole n jst stopped a week in a half
    • Posted

I have been on Omrprezole for almost 1.5 months.. I have not noticed much if any improvement.  Any other prescrption that works better?  Or do I need to give it more time?  I have a lump feeling in my throat on one side and just an irritated & swollen throat all the time (Some days are worse than others)  Its at its worst right now.  Really depressed.  

• Posted

Hey Jacqueline,

I had seen your post and I know it's from 2 months ago but I'm wondering if you found relief? I have been on omeprazole for nearly 2 weeks. I don't feel as sick as I did before taking them and I don't get heartburn constantly every day like what had developed in the past few weeks, but I still get it occasionally. Stressing doesn't help. I'm concerned because the acid reflux I have makes me feel really gassy and gaggy at times as well. Thanks, M

• Posted

@theresa05250,

Boy oh boy do i get you when you say that you are a worrier. And that it causes you great anxiety. I know your post is a little old and i hope that you found some relief from your stomach problems and that awful anxiety that attacks you. Because i can relate to that because i to worry way too much .

Just thought i'd say hello and hope you have gotten well. or at least calmed down your anxiety levels. Because they don't play fair and i think that anxiety is evil in every way it pops it's ugly head into our lives.

SINCERELY,

DMZABO.

• Posted

Hi Jean,

I have suffered from heartburn and acid reflux for just over 12months and initially my GP prescribed Omeprazole which I took for just over 2 weeks but felt no improvement to my condition as i had quite bad oesophagitus so as omeprazole doesn't give immediate relief I gave up.

I have been throug endoscopy and ph mamontry testing which confirmed a hernia. I was advised to persist with the omeprazole and have to say after 2 months my condition has vastly improved to the extent I have thrown the last bottle of gaviscon out.

I have reduced to 20mg and will continue long term but my life is defiantly better.

Good luck

• Posted

ms Jean  how many mg of omeprazole a day were u on at first before u seen vast improvement  before u could drop down to 20 mg & did u have to take gaviscon extra strength  and was it  teaspoon or tablespoon thru out the day or after each meal or before bedtime. Did u have to check your in take of acid reducing foods etc.. Thank u kindly
    • Posted

Dear Theresa , I have been taking Omperzole for years now! I only decided to stop taking, from 20 gm per day then 2x20gm per day, as I did seem to feel any different! Still burning throat , lump in my throat acid tummy etc. A Consultant told me my problem was that I needed my ' Septrum' ' broken ' and this would sort out the mucous at bsck of throat, hence sswallowimg problem and reflux etc, shd tgen ssid to keep taking the Omperzole !!! Do confusing !!! For three months now at the Consultants recommendation I have been taking two puffs each nostril, not to sniff, each day of :- ' Avamys' ( ref trade mark ), Fluticasone Furoate 27.5 microgram so/ dose Nassl Spray steroid spray to clear up my onfmation in mucous membrane of nose, which caused mucous to go down back of throat for years ! After 3 months I find Zi can breath better through my nose ! But, I still have not taken any Omperzole ! I have actually run out for nearly two weeks now ! I thought the last one when I accidental mixed it with a Rennie peppermint antscid tablet, within 20 minutes or so I took a severe sharp pain at the botuum of my left side and after 6 very sore pain I was about to go to Hospital, but thankfully it gradually asked off then suddenly stopped ! It may not have been the Omperzole so please be careful before you would stop taking them! If you trust you GP Doctor, tell him/ her you want to reduce them and eventually stop them and see what happens! I think the HyperLargr Drug Companies have us all depending too much on them, we need to think and work things thriugh ourselves perhaps ! After all, they ' Love ' Tgeir Massive Profits, before they Love US !! Hope I have been of a little help, and tgsnks for your recent reply, I Pray right now that God will help you get to the bottum of your annoying, problem, In JESUS NAME, Amen ( ..." We all agree!" Apparently that's what Amen means, that we pray together in one mind ! ). Regards, David, ps I am so long winded ! D.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.