Omeprazole Query

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi All

Need a bit of advice about taking Omeprazole, and hoping someone out there can help.

I've been prescribed Omeprazole for the last year, and am currently on 40mg a day. I take 20mg in the morning and 20mg in evening. Along side this I take Mebeverine morning, lunch and evening.

Today, I have just realised that I had taken my evening dose of Omeprazole at lunchtime instead of my Mebeverine (Duh!!). The Mebeverine isn't so much of a worry, as I wasn't that late in noticing and took it as soon as, but I rely more on the Omeprazole and was wondering if taking my evening dose, about 5 hours early than I should've, is likely to cause me any problems before my next dose due tomorrow morning.

If anyboday can give me some advice or info on this, I would be very grateful. Its been 3 hours since I took the Omeprazole earlier than I should and I feel fine at the moment.

Many thanks in advance.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I took two 20 mg in the am and 20 mg in the evening just like you. I also did the same thing by taking my evening dose at lunch time when i was supposed to take carafate, and was fine.

On another note, I found that omeprazole was causing problems for me. So I decided it was worth a try and started weaning off the omeprazole. I've been off it for 5 days now and feel fine.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply chrisgee. Really appreciate it!

Glad for you that you've not had any rebound problems weaning off the Omeprazole. I've heard some horror stories about coming off Omprazole, so to not have any probs must be good. I heard that proton pumps are back to full working order 72 hours after stopping. I would like to try and come off them myself, for all their help, I don't know if it might be causing other problems I'm getting.

Enjoy being Omeprazole free and thanks again.

• Posted

I did have rebound each time I lowered the dose. It typically started the the following day and lasted two days. It wasn't pleasant but it passed every time. You just inspired me to post my experience. Check it out if you have time.
    • Posted

Btw, I'm certain omeprazole caused me other problems. They have all ceased after weaning off. I didn't list everything but just a few symptoms were depression, anxiety, insomnia etc...
  • Posted

You can relax. It will make no difference.

Some research shows it's not actually necessary to take two doses a day and you should find taking all 40mg at one go quite satisfactory.

PPIs like omeprazole stay in the system and gradually become more effective after a few days "topping up".

It is also safe to take double your prescription if you accidentally take your tablets twice.

• Posted

you will be fine, have done it many times. Start again in the morning. By no means am I endorseing long term use of prilosec. Read my discussion.
  • Posted

Always discuss with your GP if you wish to discontinue taking PPIs.

You have been prescribed them for a reason and that may be to prevent you getting cancer!

• Posted

Speedy responses from all of you, for which I am grateful. I can relax again!!!

I will check out your other discussions, and I definitely will talk over being taken off Omeprazole with my GP. I tried once, at the doctors recommendation, but within a couple of days I was back on them, although my GP didn't advise weaning off them, she thought it would be ok just to stop. I've never had to take regular medication at any point in my life till now, so all of this is still newish to me, and didn't know any better, and also trusted my doctors decision.

Thanks again to you all for your help.

• Posted

Hi Paul been there, done that, if you're really worried about it call NHS Direct on 111, they will set your mind at rest. What I was told was just don't take the evenig dose, and take the normal one in the morning!

If you have any side effects from Omeprazole, speak to 111 or your GP before stopping taking your medicine, cheersĀ 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.