Omeprazole side effects

Posted , 6 users are following.

Have been on Omeprazole for some time now for hiatus hernia and stomach acid.  I took 20 mg twice a day which settled my stomach, but then I noticed some leg aching and this got better when I went down to 20 mg once a day.  For the last few months I've been getting increasing puffiness of my ankles, lower legs and possibly upper arms.  I've had extensive blood test and heart tests but all OK.  I saw this problem listed as a rare but possible side effect in the Omeprazole literature, but my GP says she has never seen this side effect from Omeprazole.  I just wondered if anyone else has noticed this?  I've emailed the company who makes my Omeprazole and I think I'm going to go back to taking Ranitidine.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I never experienced much swelling when I took Omeperazole but I did have some minor swelling in my feet & discomfort in my right armpit. I only took it for a couple of months so maybe I stopped it before a large amount of swelling occurred. I wouldn't rule out this drug being the cause of your swelling especially if it's a listed side effect. Rare or not it's still a listed side effect. From what I'm told, any side effects occurring from Omeperazole is rare but I see many people suffering from this med so it doesn't make sense to me that a lot of drs don't take the time to research this drug more.

Best Wishes

• Posted

i take both tablets and have for 18 years you will get side effects but not as bad as all the heart burn 
  • Posted

Well, the NHS site says that more than 1 in 1000 who take Omeprazole suffer from oedema of the extremities as a side effect so maybe not one of the common side effects but it is recorded. http://www.nhs.uk/medicine-guides/pages/medicinesideeffects.aspx?condition=Indigestion%20and%20excess%20acid&medicine=omeprazole

I've posted about the following elsewhere but maybe worth mentioning again here. Have you tried controlling your reflux with diet? I too have a hh, suffered from reflux and tried on the usual drugs. I didn't get along with any of them. They seems to work for a month or so and then the symptoms would return with a vengence. With a lot of trial and error, I managed to figure out which foods triggered the reflux and it's anything containing sugar. Chocolate is the absolute worst. I never did eat a lot of refined sugar products but once I cut them out my symptoms disappeared completely. This in turn lead to a loss of belly fat which helps with the hernia. I've also cut out some of  the usual suspects, very spicy food and caffinated drinks and substitute leeks for onions in cooking. Tomatoes are fine. It took me five years to get to where I am now, to being completely reflux free. Giving up chocolate was hard but worth it to feel so much better. Worth a try?

• Posted

Good call ! I also cut chocalate and spiced food ( chilli curry) fizzy drinks 

take pinenut oil twice a day 1 in morning and late afternoon no reflux for 6weeks .

i put weight on with omeprazole and felt really bloated.

• Posted

Thanks - unfortunately I agree with you about chocolate.  I never have any after about 7 pm but might eat a bit during the day!  Your comment about leeks replacing onions is really interesting, I'm going to try that.  

Many thanks.

• Posted

I've not heard of pine nut oil so may try that.  Thanks.
    • Posted

Quite expensive £10 for 60 gells but I have  no reflux since taking them ! 

Also available in bottles like olive oil named Siberian pinenut oil 

• Posted

I would be interested to know how pine nut oil benefits someone with dyspepsia?  I suffer really bad gastric pain, and would be willing to try anything that would help.
    • Posted

They are a natural essential fatty acid which help digest food in stomach!  the antacid we take also takeaway our ability to break food down fast enough causing a catch 22 in your stomach pine nut is supposed to help promote acid in digestion but also protect duodenum from ulceration vitamin B complex also helps bloating we have to address the balance antacid only relief temporarly and cause worse acid in the long run you need to put back some digestion ability into the gut or just get worse and worse by just taking antacid meds as a full cure ! You need to find the foods that trigger your acid and cut them down or out of your diet all together for me chocalate is a killer reflux causer .good luck  hope this helps Trev.
  • Posted

Thank you trev.  Will maybe try it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.