Omeprozole

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been on Omeprozole for just over a year for gastric reflux and hiatus hernia at a dosage of 80mg per day which seems high. I have poor sleep, vivid dreams nightly and sometimes nightmares again seeming real. Is anyone experiencing these symptoms or on such a high dosage as it has always bothered me. I was told I have to take these for life. Interested in views. Lin

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Be careful with taking such a high Mg...... I have been taking Nexium and prilosec for over 15 years and CANNOT do without it. After the "patent" ran out on Prilosec I switched to it many years ago and now I am using just "omeprozole" as it's a lot cheaper than Prilosec and thank God it "works" as I have also started breaking the "pill" in half taking 10mg vs the 20mg tablet.

Without it my stomach is on fire with acid but with all the TV ads and attorneys stating the lawsuits with PIP drugs I have so far...managed to lower my dosage.

I wish you luck my friend. "Consider" other alternatives (diet) (surgery) or whatever and then again maybe all these "warnings" about Omeprozole are not verified. Whatever the case..... keep reading, researching and looking for ways and causes that creat your problem.

Again I wish you luck as I can relate to the terrible symptons without it

• Posted

Hi. Much appreciate your response. Have decided to make a dr's appt to query dosage. I was initially put on this high dosage due to consultant at hospital's recommendation due gastric reflux, ulcers, hiatus hernia and ulcerated oesophagus and he recommended 80mg per day and be on medication for life. Thanks again. Lin
  • Posted

80mg omeprazole is indeed a high dose. Do you need such a high dose?

I was on 80mg of omeprazole for a number of years. Although it reduced my acid (too much), it was not very effective in dealing with reflux.

Many years ago, before I started PPIs, I used to experience raging heratburn like a blow troch down my throat. The omeprazole stopped that but not my reflux which caused chronic cough and the many other symptoms shown on the attached graphic.

Eventually I opted for reflux reduction surgery (fundoplication) and haven't looked back.

Whether your nocturnal hallucinations symptoms originate with the omeprazole, I don't know. They didn't affect me that way but the induced hypochlorhydria did mean I was anaemic requiring iron supplementation. (It can also result in malabsorption of calcium and other essential minerals.)

Discuss this with your doctor. You may need mineral supplements. If the symptoms are considerd to be due to omeprazole, you may try a different PPI. (80mg omeprazole is equivalent to 120mg lansoprazole or 160mg pantoprazole).

But much recent research shows PPIs probably protect against cancer.

• Posted

thanks for your comments. I have made a dr's appt for end of week to check whether dosage can be lowered. I would feel easier. Reason I was put on high dosage was through hospital consultant when I had bad reflux and they discovered ulcers, hiatus hernia and ulcerated oesophagus. Good luck to you and thanks. Lin 
  • Posted

Hi Lin

I'm currently on 40mg of Omeprazole a day, 20mg in the morning and 20mg in the evening, and they were taken for stmach ulcer(s), but now used to treat acid reflux. One doctor I saw, about a totally unrelated issue, thought 40mg was a rather high dose to be taking, so to me 80mg a day sounds like overdosing. I'm not sure if some of my symptoms are due to taking Omeprazole, but I am going to try and wean off them at some point soon, as I've heard of people feeling so much better after coming off them. I know this isn't really something you are probably able to do, but have you ever tried lowering the dose, even very slightly to see if it helps? On my 40mg a day, I have sleep problems now and again, and whereas I never used to remember my dreams before all my digestive problems, since the Omeprazole I definitely dream more frequently and vividly, so it does seem to be a side effect of the drug.

Take care and all the best.

• Posted

Hi. Thanks for your comments. I have made a dr's appointment to find out if I can reduce down dosage. I have felt so uneasy about this high dosage which was prescribed by hospital initially as had so many problems with ulcers etc etc. Surely now could go down. Find out next week. Take care. Lin
  • Posted

I have been taking daily omeprazole for over 10 yrs I started of at 20 mg but have been prescribed 40 mg for the last couple of years. I also suffer from insomnia and a degree of anxiety and I would love to be able to stop taking omeprazole but the pain and the gnawing burning in my stomach are unbearable I have gastritis and osaphagitis , I think there is devided opinion on the drug as one doctor in my practise says I need to take the 40 mg and another says I have been taking them for too long but could not offer a substitute for PPI,s . I did however have a blood test as taking this medication over a long period can deplete your body from magnesium, iron and vitamin b12 but my tests came back ok ,I do think that  80 mgs is a high dose but perhaps the doctor thought you needed that level ,talk to your doctor about reducing it 
    • Posted

Hi. Sorry you have so much to deal with. I have decided to go to dr's to query the high dosage. I heard that this medication could cause osteoporosis in years to come but not come across any cases. One person has confirmed the bad sleep and constant vivid dreams. Thanks and good luck to you. Lin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.