Omleprazone coming off them

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have been on omleprazone for 10 years now and have just decided to come off them ..been off them now for 4 days and the stabbing feeling I have in my chest like a knife is terrible ,special when I eat or drink something .I was wondering how long this pain will last for its day 5 tomorrow anyone knows how long it will be before the pain will go smile

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, I was only on Omeprazole for about 4-5 weeks and I couldn't bare the side effects, my GP put me on them as I was suffering occasional heartburn which I have now put down to stress.

I haven't had a tablet since yesterday morning and although I feel abit groggy, today is the first day in ages that I've felt relatively normal, no blurred vision, less dizziness and general feeling of being unwell.

Did your GP advise you come off them or was that your decision?

• Posted

I went back on because I was taking 300 mg daily of Rantinidine, and in between chewing Rolaids chews or Mylanta.  Nothing I ate seemed to agree with me, and I just got tired of feeling like that.  So now I am back on 10 mg or less daily, and I feel good again.  I think this whole thing with the lawsuits and crap have people panicking needlessly.  Not sure how high a dose you were on, but maybe taking a smaller dose would work.  
    • Posted

I was only on 20mg in the morning and 20mg in the evening so not a high dose, but Ive not taken any for 2 days and I have felt pretty good fort hose 2 days, onwards and upwards!!!
    • Posted

No it was my decision I'm going to see my GP next wk to tell her I have not been taking them and see what she says I just think if u start again it's going to push me back to were I was before so I'm going to keep off and see what happens

• Posted

You shouldn't just stop taking them without guidance from your doctor. Ten years is a long time, it must have been for a reason. Why did you stop taking them?

• Posted

I stopped taking mine without guidance but I had only been on them for 5 weeks max, I'm seeing my GP on Tuesday to discuss

• Posted

That's good, if they were for acid build up, you need something to protect your stomach.

• Posted

I didn't have acid reflux, I as suffering from heartburn which I've established was stress. So I don't feel I need them, they were making me feel so crap and I'm going on holiday in just over a week and the thought of being away and feeling crap really scared me to the point of not wanting to go

• Posted

I stopped taking them because of what I have read and what people say about them and because i have been so I'll lately ..I also got told you can just stop this medicine you do not have to ween your self off them like other medication

• Posted

Please let me know what your Gp said ..I'm taking galverson for pain and lots of rennies I'm seeing my GP next wk

• Posted

I stopped because of all the right up about then and because they don't work for me any more my doctor will just say double the amount and I don't want to I want to try and get off then to see if this is the reason why i feel so I'll

• Posted

Why were you taking omeprazole and why are you coming off them?

If you need them to reduce acid, you should remain on them. The pain you are feeling is probably a resurgence of the acid - which will be greater for a few days as soon as you stop taking them.

Do not be put off by the many scare stories about the supposed maleffects of PPIs. Visit the www BarrettsWessex org uk website and find the page on "PPI dangers" (it's under the Treatments / Drugs tab - or use the site search) . It puts the media scare stories into perspective; scare stories are of "side effects" are usuall from induced hypochlorhydria or exaggerated from misinterpretted data or papers which show correlation rather than causation.

PPIs like omeprazole are literally life savers for many: research has shown they probably have a chemo-protective effect - preventing the development of oesophageal cancer.

• Posted

I really don't know why I was put on them, the occasional heartburn and chest pain I put down to stress (as I had a lot personal things going on)!

I was fed up with the dizziness, blurred vision, confusion and feeling crap, I have felt better today than I have in ages

• Posted

This is why I chose to ask my doctor again to put me back on just 10 mg, which works for me.  I was taking 2 150 mg rantinidine a day, plus needing other antacid chews in between and still didn't feel great.  Now I can eat without being miserable, sleep better, and don't have hiccups, and belching, and that burning sensation.  

• Posted

I was taking them because I have a hi hatis hurnia but been on them for years now they don't work for me any more I get acid all the time..been told to change my diet .had cameras down been back and forth to doctors because of panic attacks and anxiety not been able to breath propely tingling feeling down left arm heavyness in arm had ECG test and all normal ..having test after test to see why I feel so bad next test is angina just had test for helibactor waiting for results after reading all the comment on omleplazone I really thing this is my problem because every think else comes back negative I'm out of breath all the time have no energy and chest pains always so for me there is only one more thing to try and that's to come off these tablets and see if I'm better but coming off them is tuff as I've been on for 10 years

• Posted

I have a hi hatis hernia that's why they put me on these ten years ago ..but they do not work for me any more and for the last 4 years I've been poorly ..I had a real bad panic attack 3 years ago I get anxiety lower back pain, can't breath propely tingling feeling down left arm .heavyness in arm..still get tightness in chest and panic attacks I've had test after test and every think comes back negative I've just taking blood today for helibactor and hormones I've had ECG tests all came back normal I'm going in to see if I have angina the list goes on and on and they can't find anything ..then reading this about people who have been on omleplazone for years are having the same symptoms as me so the only thing left to do is to stop the tablets and see how I get on its been a wk now and it's hard the pain in my chest is bed like a stone trying to oust up that's the only way I can discribe it and yes with terrible acid so I'm taking a lot of galviscon and rennies to help me through this to see if it is the omleplazone I'm taking.. it is hard for me as I've been on them for 10 years but I need to get to the bottom of why I'm feeling like this as it's driving me nuts

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.