On Bisoprolol for paroxysmal AT

Posted , 6 users are following.

When I was put on Bisoprolol last year for PAT I remember feeling freezing cold and it was summer and everyone else was hot. That symptom seemed to wear off or I just got used to frequently feeling cold and I thought maybe it was because I had bad circulation. I felt reassured that the tablet was doing its job as I wasn't getting the racing heart, palpitations & other awful symptoms I had previously been getting. As time has gone on, must be nearly a year I've been on it, I've felt worse generally.There isn't a day goes by I don't get a headache, they don't last long & sometimes I describe it as just a pain in my head..always in same spot above my left eyebrow...off and on throughout the day. I try to walk every day for at least 30 mins and often I can manage it comfortably...on the flat and when the wind isn't strong..but some days I'm quite breathless just setting off and have the uncomfortable tight feeling in my chest. Yesterday was particularly bad. I had to cut my walk short and when I got home was exhausted and had to lie down. Despite very warm weather my husband got blankets for me to try and keep me warm as I was so cold and shivering. I did try coming off bisoprolol last year when the cardiologist said it would be OK to stop them and see how I was and to go back on if I wasn't good....which is exactly what happened within a day. So on the one hand I get some reassurance being on it as I certainly couldn't cope with the symptoms I was getting with PAT. I hate the way I'm feeling though, so tired,struggle with my weight, sometimes a bit dizzy, etc, but its difficult to know for sure what to blame as I am also on medication for RA and on statins and BP tablets. Along with the uncomfortable feeling in the chest does anyone also get a sort of weird feeling in the throat and sometimes stomach? Bit hard to explain. Its been so helpful to read this forum and realise so many people have experienced same symptoms on this drug and I'm not going mad....completely!

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Debra

I myself have a condition called VST

And have been on Bisoprolol for the last 6 weeks since being

Diagnosed

I work full time and have never been on medication

My energy levels have dropped by 50% and my day to day

Life has changed I have similar systems of body temperature

Changes mainly hot for me and headaches not lasting long

I was thinking of inviting my GP for dinner as I've been to see

Him so much since my incident

His advice to me is good as in think of the benifits and that I hopefully will not have another episode while on these tablets

I will be reviewed in 4 months time and see were it goes from there

The breathless situation I believe is very common as I have this

I play golf and since my incident have no energy to take that step back out there but that does not mean I will not in the future

Good luck with everything and things can only improve going forward

Regards

Rob

• Posted

Hi,  I was on Atenalol another beta-blocker for Angina but due to vascular eruptions in various parts of my body (like varicose veins but smaller and in my mouth and groin) which the consultant said were most likely caused by the Atenalol I changed to Bisopropol Fumerate 1.25mg with a plan to increase the strength gradually.  Immediately started to get headaches but have also had visual problems including severe vertigo the other morning when I woke to the point I ended up in hospital with it for check up.  I am due to have a brain scan as they want to make sure there is nothing else amiss.  So I am either grateful that the tablets have highlighted another problem I already have or sad that they are causing me so many problems.  In any case I will be changing my prescription most likely when all the tests are complete.  They won;t change them until after the tests in case it isn't the tablets causing the problem. 

The reason I am writing this is that sometimes I get a wierd feeling in my throat too.  Like parts of it are constricting or going hard - weird.  I know what you mean about hard to explain as constricting isn't quite the feeling and I don't know how to describe it.  This often preceeds an angina attack.

• Posted

You poor soul, how awful. Luckily I don't get any of your symptoms but I am really tired all the time which is irritating to say the least. I'm on a mixture of tablets for the clinical trial I'm on and I feel dizzy and light headed a lot of the time. I had my Bisoprolol stopped yesterday in preparation for a test next week and today I'm very aware of my heart beat and the rate has gone up, and that's just not having had a dose for one day!

Let us know how you get on, good luck!

• Posted

Thank you for replies. I'm going to see how things go and if they continue as they are will see my GP. Have had a good nights sleep but within a very short time of waking up have the pain in my head and uncomfortable feeling in my chest and throat. Just walking to the bathroom and back has puffed me a bit!

I'm in the process of trying to move house so aware life is a bit stressful at the moment. Hopefully things will settle down soon. Good luck to everyone & thank you.

• Posted

I've been on bisoprolol for a month now and every day I get the tight chest and feeling like I'm about to not be able to breathe properly every day, along with random headaches and cramps in my legs and arms. Some days are better than others, and it's crap you get some of these symptoms too because it makes my life hell, but it's nice to have someone to relate to.
  • Posted

I'm giving this one more week and I am going back to GP to ask them to change the tablets.  I am still having headaches and the tight chest, throat feels funny still..  Fortunately the scan was all clear apart from age related changes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.