ON STATIN DRUGS AFTER HEART ATTACK HAVE GOOD CHOLESTEROL

Posted , 6 users are following.

have just been discharged from hospital after suffering a heart attack earlier this week. I am a very fit and healthy 63 year old women. With excellent cholesterol. Had an angiogram and an major artery on the front left hand side of my heart was 95% blocked. They placed a stent. All my other arteries were smooth and clear.  I have a strong family history of heart diseases (father died from heart attack and both younger brothers have had them too) Upon discharge I was given blood thinners and statin drugs. I asked why did I need statin drugs when my cholesterol was so good, I was told it was standard protocol. Obviously, I don't to have my stent block. But don't like taking unnecessary drugs especially when there are well documented side effects. Appreciate thoughts and comments.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Not everyone gets side effects in fact it is quite a small percentage. With your family history they were bound to prescribe it.

Anticoagulants or aspirin ?

• Posted

In the end,its up to you. You have the right to refuse meds. Hard situation. My husband had a heart attack,had to have two stents,hes on a statin and 2 bp meds plus a low dose asprin. He also has neuropathy in his feet bad enough so he cant feel the bottoms of them,his toes and up half the top of his foot. We believe its from the statin but no way to prove it. I went off statins,i had neuropathy and muscle weakness,3 years after stopping thats gone. He remains on the statin because we dont know what to do since he did have a heart attack. If you take the statin watch for unusual symptoms such as muscle pain,soreness,stiffness,weakness,nerve tingling,pins and pricks numbness etc. You can always quit if you notice anything unusual. Google side affects and user reviews for your statin.some seem to have more side affects then others. Xx
  • Posted

I had a triple bypass in 2004. I'm a 69yr old male from the U.S. Had it redone in 2010 , not because of cholestrol though. They did robotic surgery and really messed it up. But I was put on statins in 2004. Had all kinds of aches and pains, even though I eat very healthy. I changed GPs 8 months ago and the first thing he did was take me off the statins. He said the pharmaceuticals had lied and hid research from everyone. Some of my pains have gone away in the last 8 months. Some are with me forever. Many of the side effects are permanent though and many are debilitating. New research has shown the real culprit in blockage is inflamation , not cholestrol. Your body will make some cholestrol no matter what. This , I think , is a decision , you have to make on your own though. I think most doctors may be getting kickbacks for prescribing statins , so , it continues. The new research is available to all doctors , so I can't imagine any other reason for them to continue. I think it's all about the money now. There's more info here on patient about statins. Need to look it up. My prayers are with you.

• Posted

Ive also read having too low choelesterol is not good either. Personally after what I went through if I had a heart attack I would have a hard time going back on a statin. Make sure you ask about taking CoQ10 with the statin,its supposed to help ward off side affects.
  • Posted

Hi Donamac - "standard protocol" is the alarming phrase that is used to justify prescribing a drug that has many negative side effects which in turn will open the door for the prescription of even more drugs to combat the side effects.

There is no evidence that statins prevent heart attacks.  You say you have excellent cholesterol levels. Dump the statins. Also it should be noted that the "safe" level of cholesterol was lowered from 6.0 to 5.0 thereby ensuring millions more customers for the pharmacuetical companies whose business model is to have every human being on the planet reliant on at least one of their products - thus we see cases of babies being prescibed ADHD drugs and even anti deppressants.

The doctors are in on it. Portacrean knows this too. It is a sad reality that our health is the price in the greedy race by pharmas for more money. I survived statins - made me terribly ill: weight gain, plummeting towards trype 2 diabetes, hair loss, memory loss, inflamed liver, excema, aches in joints, painful left arm/hand - the list goes on. Now a year after quitting them (Lipitor) damage diminishing but very, very slowly. Other ailments can include rhabdomyelosis (muscle wasting disease), alzheimers, liver problems, and I have read one case of a woman whose husband died of cancer. The Oncologist told her that he had seen a spike in cases of cancer in those who were using statins and wondered why no-one had sued the pharmas. 

Like you, I was fit, slim, and ate healthily. Heart probs hereditry. So? No-one gets out alive. I am looking foward to regaining full health unlike some on these threads who have permanant and crippling damage - heartbreaking stuff. Lives and potential ruined by a drug the medical fraternity know are dangerous. No more doctors for me. 

Good luck whatever you decide. Not your doctor. You.

• Posted

I had a heart attack after a jog. Had very low cholesterol. Had low blood pressure. Non-smoker. Light weight... anyway, discharged with statins which surprised me as my cholesterol was low. Cardiologist hadn't bothered to tell me, due to standard protocol, that the statin was to stabilise any plaque formation in my vessels- which they never found! I found this out myself. My GP is far too busy to work out that many years after my heart attack and my cholesterol/BP etc is still much lower than average that she could cut my dose in half or more!! I cut my dose in half with a scalpel and my cholesterol levels haven't changed! I think any plaques have stabilised now. Shame the medics treat everyone as fitting into a protocol simply because they had a heart attack because it saves them thinking. Did I mention I'm a medic and I NEVER followed protocol/policy blindly. BTW, I'm happy being on half dose statin for anti-inflammatory effects, might visit 1/4 dose a couple of months before my next blood test.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.