on the up, should I come off?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been on 30g mirtazapine for about 12 weeks. I only ever intended them as a short term fix to enable me to cope with flashback. Overall theyve been quite a rollercoaster. They've taken the edge off but have made me almost useless at work with frequent abnses and leaving early. Its been a no win.

I've taken a drastic decision to pursue a degree and change career (at 40). I needed something that had a long term focus and to get me into a job where im not sat in the office all day. This time last year, i used to cycle 50 mile a day to commute (25 each way), but these tablets just make me too tired, or with the depression just not bothered. I was in a rut. My situation is all positive now, but my life evolves around it.

My question is how quickly should reduce the dose. Should I wait for now and get myself on a better place first. On the one hand I feel like getting off of these things then sooner the better. On the other hand I fear I might crash and burn.

Would love to hear from you and get some advise. Please share if you've had similar experiences.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Only you can decide. I can warn you, if you do decide to come off it, to do it in very small stages, and wait at least 2 weeks to check you are not going to get the withdrawal effects before going down more. You might be OK, I've struggled but I've been on it 6 years. I've ddecided to stay on it while I deal with other health issues.
    • Posted

Thank you. I'm as desperate to get off these as I was to get on them to stop me doing something stupid.
  • Posted

have you tired reduction of any kind so far? you may not get WD. some people dont. play it on the safe side first reduction the lowest and must be for one month. why ? because wd symtoms dont start for 2/3 weeks good luck.
    • Posted

Not yet. I just know I want to be normal again and as soon as possible. I will see the doctor next week to get a conclusive answer.
    • Posted

Understand everything Dave. Can't function at work on this med, and am wiped out at home. Glad things are looking up for you, and hope you manage to do a Low and gentle taper when time is right.
    • Posted

Thanks Lee. I know the meds on their own can't do all the work, but just help us get out of a rut we are in. I'm simply taking advantage of the strength and desire for change I have at this moment in time. I'm actually scared it might fail, but what's the worse that can happen.
    • Posted

Dave,you said you are desperate to get off, so speak to your Dr about all the positive changes, and consider lowering your dose very slowly. I am learning that this is an exercise in patience. The worst that can happen is you stay on your current dose if tapering down does not work for you. Stay strong smile
  • Posted

My advice would be to taper down very slowly if you really feel ready to come off, I have first hand experience on the withdrawals which can be a nightmare. I found every time I dropped the reduction hit me around 3 days laters, but could of course be different for you. All I would advise is do it slowly and see how you feel. You will know pretty quickly if you go too fast. I would certainly let your doctor know if you decide to try, best wishes
  • Posted

My experience with Mirt is: my mood changes from 0 to awesome within a night! Literally! I take it and I am happy and suicidal thoughts are blown away... far far away.... then I don't take it for a few days (because of the weight gain issue) and as soon as a tiny little issue rocks my boat, I fall in the deepest darkest depression.

So.... take them for a while. Maybe reduce the dose so you are not as tired or take them at night and go to bed earlier.... but dont assume that you are well now and can stop taking them.

Just my 2 cents

• Posted

Latest. I went to 15mg (down from 30mg) 8 weeks ago after I had a petty tantrum (a side effect that was gradually getting worse) when cleaning out the shed. I broke my little finger which required an operation. Which was a sure sign enough was enough with the morass. I started taking 15mg every other day about 3 weeks ago (my choice - not sure if it's general practice). I've been much better and my partner has noticed a considerable positive difference in my mood and generally well being - the general symptom we've called given the pet name of the mingmongs has been much less noticeable in the last week or two. I've experienced muscle pains, in my legs, but they went away after a week or so. I'm on a diet (well as of last week) and aiming to do exercise almost daily. I want to shift the weight gain pretty quickly.

We were away over the weekend (3 nights) and I forgot my meds. I'm now reluctant to take them at all now, though I know it's early days for going cold turkey. I know I should speak with the doctor but only I know how I feel and I'm currently in control - no tantrums sinse my accident. I've got plenty of med and I'll use them immediately if thing get considerably bad.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.