On Tregatol and taking Nytol

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have taken Tegratol for over 30 years and have always had trouble sleeping. I have decided to stop all medication for sleep ie. Amitriptyline. I am now taking, off the shelf Nytol. Does anyone know if this is a problem?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Pharmacist told me he wouldn't sell  me any more until I went to the doctor about my sleep problem. The thing was: the doc had told me to buy the antihistamines rather than keep bothering her for sleeping pills.

• Posted

Hiya, doctor put me on Amatriptilyn. The side affects were awful. I take nytol and I'm sleeping 4-5 hours. I just hope it doesn't interfer with the Tegratol.

• Posted

Hi. I took amitriptyline (Tryptisol) for a while when I was around 20 (I'm in my sixties now). The head in the morning was awful, and the dry mouth wasn't very nice either, but they did steady my nerves and help with sleep a bit (but I still also needed some nitrazepam (Mogadon) occasionally too).

• Posted

Amatriptilyn did help me sleep but I work full time and I couldn't concintrate. I'll continue to take my Nytol until I speak to the pharmacy.

Most medication makes me put on MORE weight....something I have a great problem with. Thanx Robert.

• Posted

HI Jane,

Like yourself I have also had many years off limited or no sleep, I have been prescribed Zopiclone as well as other meds with little or no help. I've now come off prescribed sleep meds so I am giving Melatonin 10mg tablets a go as at least they're a natural substance our bodies produce, without any side effects. I've only been on them for just under a week so early days but got to be worth a go, you've got nothing to lose and hopefully a decent nights sleep ahead! 

Regards Reddave8

• Posted

Sounds a good idea. My granddaughter (13) is on Melatonin tablets. Frightening thought that she may be like her granny.

Do you get Melatonin tablets from a health store or pharmacy?

• Posted

Hi jane lily, 

Although I purchased my tablets fron Meds Direct an online Chemist you can buy them from Health Shops as well. I'm not sure whether Pharmacy's sell them but would suspect they do, I am taking the 10mg tablet, which appear to be starting to have a positive effect so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I wish you all the best! 

Regards Reddave8

• Posted

You'll find melatonin in health stores in the United States, you won't in the United Kingdom. You need a prescription for them in the UK.

• Posted

Been there, tried all of that...but not any more..

neurologist taught me brain makes Melatonin in preparation for sleep. but lights and screens inhibit this natural process. .I now take Melatonin over the counter no more than 3 mg two hours before bedtime and I sleep wonderfully!

kind regards

,judith

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.