One ear temporary hearing loss/Tinnitus

Posted , 2 users are following.

A couple of months ago I suddenly lost my hearing in my left ear for around 4 days, my hearing came back but since I lost my hearing I have experienced constant tiniitus. I used to experience simple fungal infections in my left ear over the years and used castenen drops to clear it which worked. However this tinnitus has obviously come from the hearing loss. I have no pain, I have seen GP's and ENT's and they dont seem to be keen to have a good discussion and want to get to the root cause. I have taken anti biotics, seroids, ear sprays to no avail. I have started taking ginko and magnesium, zinc supplements. I am due to have an MRI in a few weeks but will that tell me anything other than if it is a tumour. My ears seem full but not blocked and there is no discharge from my left ear since the tinnitus started but before I used to get loads of discharge. Also when I wiggle my finger in my left ear it sounds different pitch and more echoey that my good right ear, any suggestions?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I had the same issue deanboy. My hearing came and went three times before I went to an audiologist. He put me on a steroid and omg it fixed the entire thing in one week. He also put me on stronger prescribed allergy medicine and also decongestant (stronger with a steroid in that) I could not believe I had allergies!  I am starting my second set of prescriptions because I never want that to happen again it was awful!

He also said I had the cleanest ears he had seen. He also said mineral water is cheap and his suggestion for keeping your ears working well. 

• Posted

the decongestant was in the form of nose spray
    • Posted

Hi Melissa I had prednisone after first visit to ent but did not do to do much. I have been using beconase nose spray and anthistimines but I don't feel particularly bunged up sinus wise. Were you? What medication was you on name wise and also did your tinnitus start as soon as the hearing loss?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.