One month no alcohol (benefits)

Posted , 9 users are following.

I just read an article about what benefits I wreak when I don't drink...since i need some positive thoughts....I am sharing....of course...lol (what else to do besides sit here feeling sorry for myself...) smile

This is a quote from an alcohol abuse page:

Giving up alcohol for one month may significantly improve your health, though more research is required.

The only real downside: Those involved in the study felt less social.

So if you’re looking for an excuse to binge watch Netflix while possibly losing weight, lowering your cholesterol, and sleeping better, try going dry. Then share your results in the comments section below.

After Dr. today (I think it has been a month)...I have lost 3 pounds..but I attribute that to eating cottage cheese at night vs. bagels...and lessening bread intake.

I also have to admit...I am sleeping better...2.5 hours at a time vs. 1 hour at a time.

Cheers!

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

oops - "then share your results in the comments section below", copied that sentence by accident...but yea...comment....

Most recent folks that have tried stopping that come to mind are I7...and tre....and paper..

• Posted

Missy I have to agree with you the benefits not drinking even after two weeks are awesome. My skin looks amazing and has a glow back about it. I sleep like a baby and always feel rested. I am much more articulate in my conversations. Keep up the good work I am two weeks behind you. And yes that three pound weight loss is awesome. I love not feeling bloated or looking like I am five months pregnant.
    • Posted

i really don't know if I have a month....it just popped up...I might have almost a month....I cant think about it...its too late...but I know I have more than 2 weeks.

I'm SO happy for both of us....BED is now my friend...I used to go in there...afraid...

Afraid of what i did to my body...afraid of how I was going to get my alcohol for the next day...afraid something would happen to someone in my family and I would be knocked out..and unable to be of any use.

Your right...we are just different...a better different....

• Posted

Yesterday was my 2 week mark and I feel great and sleep the whole night through smile Let's keep going yo!

• Posted

Thank you. All you guys helped me get through it.
    • Posted

Thank you Misssy. Great job yourself! I love hearing good thing's happening to good people.

• Posted

Well...you sound so much HAPPIER...do what I used to do...look back at your posts from a week ago......what a relief it is....

Sweet dreams...so MUCH better than the alternatives.

• Posted

I knew that...yes becoming healthy and I could do with lowering cholesterol since I eat cakes, , crisps etc after stopping the drinking..Robin
    • Posted

Robin...didn't you quit a while ago?  3 years or something?

I think for cholesterol...you have to join the gym? smile smile

• Posted

I am 28 days AF tommorow.I have lost 10 pounds but have been actively slimming.

Bit concerned about some online blood tests I had about 2 weeks ago so going to do them again

• Posted

Congrats on 28 days, Nicole! How are you feeling?

Keeping my fingers crossed that the blood tests come out in range...

• Posted

Well done, keep it up, I've just hit 10 months! Alcohol free, it's a different life but a much better one, keep going x

• Posted

28 days! WOW...smile

I think I have that too...I'm just waking up...so I have to figure it out later...that will give me a reason to start another post..lol.

Don't worry about your blood work (easier said than done)...but mine is all off all the time and I've researched ALOT about it....

I have problems with White Blood Count....Platelets....Red Blood Counts....

Im just telling you because maybe these are the culprits for your blood....and I read about them and alcohol can raise and lower...espeially the platelets...when drinking they are low or within normal range...but when we stop...they can spike really high.

I bet....next blood test is more normal for you.

• Posted

10 months!   You are going to be ok...Don't EVER think you can pick up a drink...no matter how long you get.

I was 8 years sober and picked up a drink...and the last 2 years have been h*ll...trying to NOT drink.

Life IS so much better sober...hold on to it!

• Posted

I'm going to, thanks for the advice, appreciate it, you keep it up to x

• Posted

HI Missy, yes I did quite 3 1/2 yrs ago. Not looking bad and feeling better. Do not quite understand other comments...simply drank too much for SO MANY YEARS and the small children I was blessed to have saved me...will I die or live longer to see them grow up? yes that simply and I stopped. best of luck to you again! Robin
    • Posted

The other comments? About cholesterol and gym?

LOL.

You were replying to this thread about what happens after 1 month sober and you mentioned something about having to focus on your cholesterol...I was teasing you saying....that you have way more than 1 month sober...so your cholesterol is not just going to bounce back without some hard work from you...the gym...smile

• Posted

Since we seem to have drifted on to songs, here's one just for Robin :

'If I'd known you were comin' I'd have baked a cake.'

My daughter was always singing it to her fiance. Now they're married she probably still sings it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.