One person's journey with sertraline

Posted , 18 users are following.

I would have found it helpful to read one person's journey with Sertraline, so I offer mine.  I was put on Zoloft twenty years ago for depression, but the side effects of suicidal feelings were so strong, I was taken off.  My mornings always were hard, but things would get better as the day went on.  I've dealt with this for years, as well as social anxiety. I'm ready to try medication again.

6 likes, 102 replies

102 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Day 1&2. Taking 25 mg sertraline.  I feel nauseated and dizzy with headache.  Day 3:  I woke up not suicidal!  First time in months!  Splitting headache.  Took 3 exedrine migraines that day.  Slept fine.

• Posted

Day 4-7.  Have had splitting headaches each day.  I took 5mg cortef (to decrease asthma inflammation).  I'm having dry heaves throughout the day.  Feel horrible.  BUT I have woken up each morning not suicidal!!! Something is going on in my head.  

• Posted

Day 8:  My Doctor said he would plan on increasing the dose.  So being headstrong, I have increased it myself to 37 mg per day.  Splitting headaches. Dry heaves.  Strong suicidal thoughts.  I remember this horror happened twenty years ago.    I'm going to stick it out this time.  

• Posted

Day 8-15.  My Doctor had said he planned on increasing my dose.  So I increased it on my own to 37 mg per day.  Huge splitting headaches.  Nausea, dry heaves, even with Bomine.  I feel like someone has taken a pickax to my brain and is renovating it.  But I no longer wake up each morning suicidal!  Instead it hits me throughout the day, when I least expect it.  
    • Posted

I remember why I quit before.  Suicidal thoughts every morning is predictable.  Suicidal thoughts hitting me at random times throughout the day has me on complete edge.  I'm going to stick it out this time.

• Posted

Day 15:  I see my doctor, and the dose is increased to 50mg per day, with me gradually going to 100 mg. per day.  I take it in the morning.  Day 16 still splitting headaches, even with 4 exedrine migraines per day.  Dry heaves have decreased to only once per day.  I am sleeping fine.  I have not woken up with suicidal thoughts once since day 3.  But, I average 2-3 hits like a wave of suicidal thoughts at various times throughout the day.  This is miserable.  I'm going to take the plunge and go to 100 mg faster, I can't take this long drawn out torture.  Headaches have decreased.

• Posted

Day 16-18. Taking 75 mg sertraline.  Still headaches, but the dry heaves are down to less than 1-2 times per day.  I feel really weird.  I forgot to mention that I was battling dizziness the entire time too, but Motion-eaze from Walmart helps a lot.  Suicidal thoughts have decreased.  I feel like my brain is being pried open with a crowbar, and light is coming in!
    • Posted

First time I started this med I had thoughts that were not so nice. Scared the crap out of me but deep down I knew they were just thoughts. Gave me so much more anxiety than I had before. I'm so glad I stuck with it because after the horrible beginning, I lived again and it felt great! Best of luck my dear

• Posted

Days 19-20 went to 100 mg.  I've not woken up a single morning since day 3 with any suicidal thoughts.  Mild depression has hit at various times during the day, but I handle it with deep breathing, prayer, etc.  Motion-eaze is keeping the dizziness at bay.  My brain feels really weird, but calm.

• Posted

I've been very dizzy as well.

• Posted

Day 22:  yes mild dizzy and moderate headache, but all the colors in the world seem to be opening up to me.  The flowers are beautiful in this newfound light.  I am able to calmly listen to loved ones.  I feel like this barrier is being broken down in my brain, and though there is a lot of rubble to clear away, there is bright light where there had been none before.  Not hallucinating, just the colors I remember the world had when I was a child.
    • Posted

Day 23:  Woke up with a headache, but singing in my heart "O What a Beautiful Day".  No suicidal thoughts at all today.  Only once dry heaves.  I have been sleeping well.  I've had no appetite since Day 3.  I force myself to eat, and make healthy food choices.  I feel a newfound hope that I could be "normal".  

• Posted

Day 24:  woke up with no headache, but I feel like I did before meds.  Feeling hopeless simple tasks seem insurmountable.  At lunch, hyper ADD symptoms kicked in, feel like racing heartbeat, with exhaustion.  I'm leaving on a weeklong trip and will post more later.

• Posted

Vigorous head massages seem to help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.