One swollen tonsil

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I am a 30 year old female and have been dealing with an array of symptoms over the past few months. About 6 months ago I started experiencing chest discomfort only on the right side, a feeling of a lump in the throat on the right side, along with asthma flaring. I was prescribed acid reflux medication and Singulair to help control the asthma. My doctor believed it was reflux that was contributing to my asthma symptoms.

Fast forward 2 months, I was still dealing with the 'lump in throat' feeling and I noticed my right tonsil was bigger than my left. It was a fleshy, hard bulge instead of laying flat against my throat like the left one. No pain, and my ENT said to just keep an eye on it.

Fast forward 3 more months to current time and my right tonsil is still swollen, hard, and now painful. I went for a CT scan to make sure there were no masses in my throat or neck that were missed and everything came back clear.

I am scheduled for a full tonsillectomy to biopsy the tissue on 2/8/17. I am so nervous because of my active asthma but it has to be done. I am also nervous because everything I Google says that assymetrical tonsils equal cancer. Has anyone experiences assymetrical tonsils and had the results not be sinister?

Blessings,

Melissa

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Melissa.

I am sorry u are going thru such a

scary time. Do u smoke ? If so quit well before surgery. Best place to be if u have asthma is in hospital.

I had one sided lingual tonsillitis once that lasted ages. 8-12 weeks. Mostly i get both sides. Was about to have biopsy and it went away. Lucky me.

You did not say how it started. Was it with viral illness? It is possible to have one sided tonsillitis but it would stem from post nasal drip.

Guidelines suggest unilateral is biopsied. So your doctor is being very thorough, which is good to hear. Have your lymph nodes been enlarged or any glands?

All the best for your surgery. Please let us know how u go. I will be thinking of you and hopefully this is not cancer.

Distract yourself with happy things whilst waiting. Books. Movies. Music.

Even if it was cancer you will cope.

Rhonda. Melb. Australia

• Posted

Hi Rhonda!

I do smoke, though I quit in September and recently just picked it up again due to the stress- which I know is not making the situation better. I plan on stopping again within the next few days.

ENT wanted to do the surgery in a surgery center but I asked for a hospital just to be cautious. I am so scared- of both the surgery and the results.

Praying for the best because there is not much more I can do in the mean time. I just want to feel normal again, this issue is all consuming.

Happy to hear yours didn't amount to anything. I have a feeling this isn't going to go away prior to 2/8. sad

• Posted

Also, I was not sick at the time when I noticed the swollen tonsil. The only thing that made me look in the back of my mouth was that globus sensation I was experiencing from what they believed was reflux.

I did do 1 round of antibiotic- 875mg of amox for 10 days with no relief. Again, at this time the tonsil was no painful. Since then, it has become painful. sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.