Ongoing Achilles Tendonitis

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had Achilles tendinitis for 6 months now, and it is no better now than 6 months ago. It is very swollen at the moment. I have been to the doctor a few times and have been given Naproxen for the inflammation and pain. This has done nothing. I have done exercises, and have used kinesiology tape. It is getting me down because I cannot get out walking in the hills, my main hobby. I'd it just a waiting game? Should I not be doing anything?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Linz,

I have the exact same issue. 12 months of pain, linmping around and the doc just wants to give me pain killers / anti inflamatories.

I am so sick of being in pain. I sometimes feel chopping my foot off would be easier!!!!!

L

• Posted

Liz

What is your location.

I mean what country ?

Greg

• Posted

Hi Linz

sorry to hear of your problem I've had no experience of this myself but a good friend of mine has suffered with it and it' was a long slow proses as it seems with most tendon problems

Hang on in there :-)

• Posted

I had tendonitis and found the best cure was to rupture the tendon completelly... didnt intend to, just stumbled and it went. After 30 seconds of terrible pain it just went away and felt great... except the foot didnt work any more. 9 months down the recovery route, the tendon is fine, just struggling with muscle strength.

For the tendonitis I had had various pain killers, discussed (and dismissed) steroid injection, had nitroglycerine patches (no effect) and massage. I have come to the conclusion tendons need a redesign. :-(  But hang on, it does get better

• Posted

Hi Linz,

I have too have been hobbling around for nearly 5 weeks with an achilles tendon injury. When it initially happened, I was put in a splint/soft cast and crutches for 2 weeks. Orthopedic doctor has me wearing the aircast walking boot and anti-inflammatory meds. I begin physical therapy in 2 weeks. I still have pain and am very concerned about long term recovery. My diagnosis is tendinitis/tendinopathy. I am used to being physically fit with running and walking trails; and have been doing so for majority of my life....soon to be 49 years old, and very discouraged!

Good luck to you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.