Only been on it a few days, really bad side effects!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, Iv recently started on sertraline given by my GP, they told me about the side effects and when to seek help from a hospital or A&E but I can't remember what side effects he said for, but Iv become really ill, migraine, sickness, diarrhoea, high temp, Lack of breath, trouble walking around without feeling I'm going to faint due to being dizzy all the time! Eyes are sensitive to light and it's killing me writing this now but I genuinely don't feel myself I feel so weak not sleeping and when I go I don't know if I'm sleeping or not dream and so vivid and horrible and my eyes seem to always be awake so don't know if I am asleep or not, I'm not eating tried to eat toast and it make me feel so sick even more and needed the loo straight away same with drinks even water! Not sure what to do but I feel so run down and horrible!😭😭

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rachael,

So sorry you're feeling so rotten. I think I would ring 111 for some reassurance/advice.

Maybe you need to reduce the dose for a while but this needs to be with a Doctors guidance.

Xx

• Posted

Hello,

Sorry your are feeling like this. It's horrendous.

How long have you taken Sertraline for?

From what I understand the first two weeks are the worst until most side effects ease and they do ease, it's just sticking with the tablets which is hard.

I went through the same but on Fluoxetine. A lot of it sounds like Anxiety though massively enhanced which is a side effect. I remember going to A&E because I was in a massive panic state for about 3 days. Shakes, racing heart, can't breath, restlessness etc, nothing could calm me down. Ended up getting sleeping tablets as i had been up for 3 days!

Insomnia, confusion, sickness and no appetite being the worst for me though, it makes you weak. Also weirdly aches and pains.

I couldn't take the side effects and ended up stopping after about 15 days though. Withdrawal wasn't fun.

Best advice I can give is to just keep drinking water, eat what you can and when between feeling ill, I remember having liquid meals like the weetabix breakfast drinks and try and rest / distract yourself to the storm passes.

I am kicking myself as I am starting Sertraline on Monday (booked time off work for the side effects) and thinking had I just sticked with Fluoxetine a little longer, I wouldn't be going through this again!

Sorry if this doesn't help much. If your worried, go the doctors to. They can give you things to take the edge off the side effects such as propranolol for the anxiety and diazepam for sleep.

Trying to stay calm and breath deep is the hardest though.

• Posted

Hi Rachael,

Those side effects sound really extreme.

How long have you been taking the tablets?

Probably best to seek medical advice.

C

• Posted

Hello rachael I went through very similar side effects and was posting on here just like you. You can find some of my posts on here. It passes. And it will pass for you. I had to take some proponal too at the start. I have a few off days here and there now but generally feel so much better than before. Stick with it and try to keep busy...you will get better
  • Posted

How are you feeling now Rachael?
    • Posted

Hi, Iv had to come off them as I got very bad in going back to doctors Wednesday to see what else they can give me! Just hope there is something better than them as the side effects I got were herendious, I was hulisinating and everything was horrible, made me more suisidal but I'm starting to feel better than they made me now Iv stopped but still very depressed x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.