Only took Gabapentin for two weeks. OK to simply stop?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I began taking Gabapentin 300mg (once a day) a fortnight ago.  The side-effects I felt - and have continued to develop - are so bad I wanted to stop taking it.  I spoke to my GP today and he said that it would be OK for me simply to stop.  I know there are warnings about stopping cold turkey, but at such a low dose and for such a short period of time, is my doctor right?  Many thanks.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I would think you would be OK. I am taking1800mg and I was going to come off it. My doc suggested 300 every week as a reduction. In the event I have arrived on with it.
  • Posted

If you have consulted with your doctor he should know best.

the recommendations suggest the higher the dose the more gradual reduction of the drug.

you could also check with a pharmacist if you are unsure

• Posted

I trusted what my GP said, but I have heard many horror stories about Gabapentin withdrawal - which is why I thought I would ask the question of people who had personal experience with using this particular drug.  Thank you for your reply.
    • Posted

I didn't want to alarm you as you are right and needs to beccarefully done. Just out of interest what we're the side effects you experienced

• Posted

It's a long list:

Pins and needles in my feet

Decreased sensation in my feet and toes

Excessive flatulence

Heartburn

'Spaciness'/head spinning

Drowsy/very tired

Cough

Runny nose

Sore throat

Sore glands in neck

Difficulty with speaking (I have this problem anyway, thanks to Fibromyalgia and CFS/ME), but it has been markedly worse

Toothache

Earache

• Posted

Thank you. I think it's helpful for people to know

• Posted

I agree.  I have to take a lot of medication, but there are some I am hyper-sensitive to, and it appears Gabapentin is one of them.  :-(
    • Posted

Yes and the contraindications with other Meds is also important.

everybody is different.

• Posted

Hi,i started 15 years ago and still take 1800mg a day,the start is truly awful but once your through the other side it will all be worth it,i think I started getting back to normal after 4 to 6 weeks ,as to going cold turkey thats a big no no,talk to the Dr and come down gradually over time they come in 100mg tablets so won't be a problem.

Hope you either start feeling better on it now or feel ok reducing to nothing.let people know either way ie boyfriend,family etc as its always better to chat,take care.

• Posted

Thanks, Dave.  It was prescribed to help a problem in my inner ear, and also for sensory neuropathy in my feet.  Taking the Gabapentin made my ear feel much worse, and my feet seemed to get worse rather than better.  Today was the first day of not taking a tablet, so I will see how I go.  I'll discuss it again with my GP next time I see him.  My health is fairly poor, and having to cope with the side-effects was making a bad situation even worse.  

I'm grateful to the contributors here who have been kind enough to reply.  I'll let you know how I get on, and in the meantime I send my best wishes to everyone.

• Posted

Dave, after about a week and a half after stopping the Gabepentin, I find that I am bothered by withdrawal symptoms.  The worse are dizziness to the point of vertigo (I fell over earlier today), and problems with my speech.  I have problems with that because of Fibromyalgia, but the Gabapentin made it worse, and it isn't showing any signs of improvement.  I'm hoping that things will improve soon.

• Posted

If you only took it a few days it shouldn't be a problem. I developed extreme blurred vision and spaced out feeling and asked my pharmacist because I was unable to ask my doctor, because it was on a Sunday.  Anyway, since it had been such a short time, he said to stop.  I called my doctor the next day and they told me the same thing.  It was a shame to stop as it had helped my extreme pain and other symptoms it was prescribed for, but the pharmacist told me that blurred vision was a side effect, although not that common.  

• Posted

Thank you.  I seem to be doing OK, so hopefully I have escaped any nasty withdrawal side-effects.
  • Posted

As well as the symptoms mentioned in my response to Dave a little while ago, I am also suffering a lot of pain.  I have Fibromyalgia, so am used to dealing with pain, but this is even worse.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.