Oops, first appointment with dentist

Posted , 11 users are following.

I had an appt today with my dentist for a cleaning and oral exam. I woke up this morning and thought "oops", wasn't there something in the instructions about telling your dentist you've had a hip replacement. They rescheduled me to next Wednesday and I'll have to take Amoxicillan. I thought maybe for a week but I only have to take ONE, an hour before my visit with dentist.. What happens in your mouth that has anything to do with your hip? Now.. I have something else to worry about. 

4 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

My husband was also told that he needed a single antibiotic 1 hour before any dental procedure, including routine cleanings, for the next two years and the surgeon gave him a script to fill "before your next cleaning". The surgeon said when you get gum bleeding during dental work bacteria can enter the bloodstream which could result in an infection. I was curious so did some reading and found this is based on AMA/ADA guidelines from 2003 but more recent studies have shown that the risk is minimal to non existent. However lots of surgeons and dentists still recommend this one off antibiotic as a precaution.

• Posted

That seems so strange...but better safe than sorry. I don't bleed but maybe it's because I'm not looking in my mouth and I'm high on Nitrous Oxide. cool
  • Posted

I have to take (4) 500mg Amoxicillan 1 hour before dental procedure...It's the worst bacteria that could get into your blood, we actually need antibiotics for all surgeries...
    • Posted

I heard your mouth is full of all kinds of bacteria. Never thought about that getting into your blood stream. I did get them before the hip surgery, shots for flu and pneumonia. So...if you only have to take them for 2 years, after that the bacteria in your bloodstream is not an issue anymore? 
    • Posted

My surgeon said for the rest of my life....Really what would ony 2 years have to do with it, the bacteria doesn't get better...the risk never goes away!rolleyes
  • Posted

There are conflicting messages from different dental sbd medical sources fearing bacteria might enter the bloodstream during a dental procedure. Some dentists will work on you if you refuse to pre-medicated. Despite chances are very slim, I would follow my doctor guidelines.

Good luck

• Posted

I truly think that this is a case of personal preference. One can follow one's surgeon's guidelines.And/or one can research this and find conflicting studies, e.g. there certainly are studies that have determined that antibiotics are unequivaocally not needed before dental treatments (the Bonesmart patient forum has posts on this). It depends upon your surgeon's perspective, what research s/he has read, etc. And there's antibiotics resistance to remember. Again, I think in in the end, it's whatever decision you're comfortable with.
    • Posted

I think better safe than sorry, we have foreign material in our bodies and my surgeon said if an infection starts there our white blood cells wouldn't no to fight an infection.
    • Posted

It's no big deal to just go ahead and take it before every dental exam or work/cleaning. It's not like you have to get a colonoscopy first or anything...eek

• Posted

I went last night, said he could do a clean, so I asked about anti-biotics, he said it used to be all the time,but it was changed, said it would be best to check with the consultant first, so my cleaning will wait until next time.
  • Posted

hi luv,

I don't know anymore. ..surgeon told me that antibiotics would be needed for deep gum cleaning and something invasive. ..

dentist is not concerned. ..1st dental appointment is May 11 ...

just a check up. .

big warm hug

Renee 🐱

• Posted

I think the guidelines in the UK are different to US. I had the root of a broken crown removed at 6 months post op and the dentist said I didn't need antibiotics and I should check with the surgeon. He said I didn't need it either - there was no evidence it was of any value but there was plenty of evidence that we were becoming immune to antibiotics (or the bacteria was) due to over use.
  • Posted

I was told to take two 500 mg of Keflex for every dental for the first 2 years after the replacement in the USA
  • Posted

Your mouth has more bacteria than any other part of your body.  They always require antibiotics before cleaning, because bacteria goes directly through the bloodstream to the most current surgery. They require it at least 2 years, but I have been taking them for 4 years so far.  My dentist gives me a years supply.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.