Open abdominal myomectomy in three days, I'm terrified!

Posted , 8 users are following.

3 days until surgery, I'm so scared. Please help me get my mind right.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Melanie

Its natural to feel anxious nearer to the date but dont be terrified.  Surgery has moved on in the 21st century and you will find that its not as bad as your imagination is telling you it will be.  Your previous posts describe your fibroids as  causing you so much misery. Mine caused me the same misery for over 10 years and when I had sugery in January I realised I should have not been afraid and should have had it earlier, as the quality of my life has improved so much.

Use the time to you have before the surgery to focus on the positive outcome and the reasons why you are having the surgery, eat a healthy diet, do some walking or exercise, do something for relaxation, prepare your home, think about the help you may need around the house with housekeeping,shopping or any lifting i.e. the practical side. Make sue you have your list completed for what you need to take into hospital and a list of any questions you want to ask the consultant or anaethetists.  Read up on any post surgery exercises that your hospital has given you. Make sure to follow any instructions you have been given with regards to not eating or drinking before the surgery.

My list for hospital included:

Large pants that went up pass my belly button, didnt want elastic troublling the scar

Loose clothing - jogging bottoms, large T shirts

Sanitary Pads

Cushion for traveling back home 

Mints for any gas, didnt need them in the end

Slippers

Prunes incase of consitpatioin from the painkillers

Wipes

Toiletries

Notebook

Magazines

Although the say the average is 6 weeks recovery, youll find youll start feeling stronger each week. I started feelng stronger from week 3, even though I had 32 fibroids out!

Always remember your consultant and anaethetist have performed surgery several times, my anaesthits told me most people are afraid of him more so than the surgery and he cracked some jokes so I laughed before my surgery. My consultant reminded me that my fibroids were not that large before the surgery, he has obviously seen so many large ones.

You will be fine, best of luck and let us know how it goes once your back home.

• Posted

It is normal to be terrified before surgery but you are going to be fine. I had a myomectomy almost two years ago and I am fine. I had A LOT of fibroids (the dr stopped counting at 50). You will be fine. Worrying will not help or change a thing. It can be overwhelming at times but have faith in the Doctor and team you have selected for the procedure and know that you are going to be fine. I don't know if you believe in a higher power but my faith in God and prayer really got me through. I will be praying for you! Also, depending on the type of procedure and recovery time, make sure you have what you need for your post surgery recovery. God bless!

• Posted

Try and be in the right frame of mind before the 3 days. Which country are you from
  • Posted

Thank you so much ladies! :-) it does help speaking to others who have gone through something similar. The list is great, really helpful! I am in South Africa. Lots of hugs x
  • Posted

Let us know how the surgery goes. I'm in Washington, D.C. Sending you lots of love and prayers!

• Posted

Thank you. Your prayers are appreciated
  • Posted

I have mine on July 6th and I am trying to back out but I am going to do it. You will be fine. I will be Praying for you.
    • Posted

Yes we will. I talked to my sisters tonight and they really motivated me. They both said, you will feel so much better afterwards. God is in control and he got us. Have a Blessed Night
    • Posted

Thank you, it's morning here. On my way to work. GOD bless

• Posted

Oh Im sorry. Where are you? I am in Georgia. Keep me posted after your surgery.
  • Posted

I've not gone through it but would like to wish you good luck. Be brave and positive! Good advice and list from f91864  :-)

• Posted

So it's 3 days post surgery, I am still in ICU, I manag ed to pick up pneumonia, I can't wait to go home

• Posted

Thanks I can't wait, it was 5 pounds and the size of my head!

• Posted

Hi Melanie

Thanks God the surgery was ok. God is always in control. Wish you quick recovery. Stay blessed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.