Open Heart Surgery

Posted , 30 users are following.

2 weeks ago I had extensive tests done on my heart and was told I would need open heart surgery to repair hole they have found. I never thought at this time of life I would need to have an operation like this. Has anyone had any heart problems or had an operation? If so please let me know how you are doing.

thank you

linda

3 likes, 58 replies

58 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Linda

I had a triple bypass at 55 years in 2011. They found 3 badly blocked arteries luckily before I had a heart attack, so open heart surgery and take a vein from the leg and bypass the blockages. 3 month recovery and then I went back to work as a sales rep. Lost some weight and eat a little lean meat and chicken and lots of fresh fruit and veggies and feel 10 years younger!

It is major surgery and I'm sure your scared, I sure was, but these days with modern technology it gets better and easier for the surgeons with each passing year. A positive mental attitude (which you may have to cultivate) will be your best friend. First month or so of recovery can be a bit tough but that's where this forum can help.

good luck and I hope you recover as well as I did.

cheers Timo (Paul)

• Posted

Hi Timo,

Glad you recovered well from your bypass. I will take your advice and try to develope a PM.

Have a goo day

linda

• Posted

hi Linda

I was informed after having 3 stents 2 and a half years ago that all arteries were completely blocked. im 47 yrs old with a family history of heart disease. ive accepted the fact surgery is needed ( triple heart bypass )but feel very anxious and currently waiting for appointment for surgery as a priority. How long does it take from surgeon saying its needed to having the date of surgery. kind regards

scott

• Posted

I had my aortic valve replaced at the age of 78 in 2012. I went into with no worries although the chance of not coming through it was about 18%. On the other hand if I had not had the operation I would not have got through the next year. It's like getting on a plane you just trust the pilot.

Such surgery nowadays is routine. I can honestly say that after the operation I had no pain and resented being given paracetemol. Day two I was hauled out of bed by two physios and marched along a long corridor and up two flights of stairs and back to bed. That was tough!

After that It is a matter of getting through three short daily walks for a week or two and gradually building up your strenght again.

A neighbour in his mid 80's had a triple bypass and aortic valve replaced. He had to cope with two flights of stairs to his flat. I have a lift but always made the point of walking up the first two floors and taking the lift for the last two.

• Posted

Hi Derek happy to hear you are diing well. I an feeling less apprehensive now.

Thank you.

• Posted

I actually get more worried about going to the dentist!

My post operation problem was going into AF and being on some nasty drugs until having a successful cardioversion four months later.

Any idea how long you are going to have to wait for your operation?  I had a 54 week wait after seeing the cardiologist.  A friend in America was diagnosed and operated on three weeks later.

My tests were very drawn out. Five week wait to see a cardiologist after initial diagnoses of aortic stenonis elsewhere. A seventeen week wait for a stress echocardiogram. Seven weeks for an angiogram before that hospital forgot to refer me to the hospital doing the surgery and then a twelve week promise for surgery stretching out to nearly six months. All of this with me pushing them all the time.    

• Posted

Hi the cardio said on 4 feb 2015 l would get a letter in 2 weeks but as you knowthey drag their feet. At the moment I am waiting to hear from the royal brompton.

It mudt have weighed you down just waiting to hear when your operation will be.

I just want it over and done so re cooperation can begin.

• Posted

It puts your life on hold and you can't make any plans or go away in case a letter comes.

It is supposed to be no longer than 18 from consultation to operation. When I qouted that I was told that had been 'suspended' at the present time.

• Posted

At the moment my life feels like it is on hold. I am packing at the same time to move.

Do you need to have your heart consrantly checked?

• Posted

Now I just have an annual echocardiogram to show that the valve is is working properly.

My long term problem is very erratic hyperpentension.

• Posted

I undrstand i too suffer from high blood pressure too. Glad you are doing good...
    • Posted

Mine has not been properly controlled in 14 years. I had high hopes when I got a referral to a Hypertension Centre last year but their tests have not found any reason for it and they have not suggested any better medication.  
    • Posted

Hi, Derek,

My cardiologists keep telling me that I need an aortic valve replacement because of heavy aortic regurgitation ( a leaking aortic valve ) not stenosis.  The problem is that I can't find a patient with my diagnosis who has undergone such a srgery and is still alive. Do you know any? Can you help with some advice?

• Posted

Whether it is regurgitation or stenosis it is the same operation.
  • Posted

Hi Linda, my husband had a triple bypass 2012 he was so fit after he wanted to do everything straight away but with a lot of pressure from me he did as he was told to do by the cardiac team and after three months returned to his gardening and everything else except lifting heavy items which he still refrains from hope everything goes ok for you just follow there instructions and you will be fine and they are only at the end of a phone line if you are worried about anything.
    • Posted

Hi Linda thank you for your valuable advice. Glaf to hear your husband is doing good.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.