Open myoectomy experiences

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I am 25 with 3 fibroids and have recieved a date for my open myoectomy. My consultant hasn't given me much information about the surgery and I was wondering for those who have had the operation how long you were in hospital for and how long you were signed off work for? Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Depends on hopsital, Private hospital in the UK is usually 5 nights, NHS hospital is 3 nights. You will be given 6 weeks off work for Open Myomectomy.  I had one done in January 2016 best decision I made, prepare yourself physically and mentally for the sugery. All the best.
  • Posted

It's usually 3 -4 days and you will get signed off for 6 weeks. These forums are a good resource for what to expect, what to buy in advance and how to prepare. Had mine 7 years ago and it made a real difference to my periods.

• Posted

Hi Ki,

I had an open myomectomy four weeks ago. It was quite lon, 5 1/2 hours, as I had 14 fibroids.

I was out of the hospital after 48 hours even if I lost 2,5 litres of blood during the operation (and subsequently had a transfusion). But I went to my mother's house where I did nothave to cook or wash or do anything but rest. But this, I think, was due to the extreme length and toughness of my operation. 

After almost 3 weeks I was working, but in this case with a theatre company with only people who knew that I needed to rest a lot and could only really work 2-3 hours a day. 

Now, after 4 weeks I am still tired, but working. Not with my usual capacity, but maybe that is also part of what I needed to learn from all this: to relax some more, to breathe. 

I think, if you have a flexible job, you could be back after 2-3 weeks (depending on the operation, maybe it will be much lighter than mine), but if you need to come back with full capacity, I would say a month is better. 

All the best to you

Anna

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.