Opium addiction

Posted , 6 users are following.

So tomorrow is the day I'm attempting to go cold turkey I have been taking codeine morphine and tramadol now for the past 4 years after having an operation so nervous about quitting but enough is enough

0 likes, 82 replies

Report / Delete

82 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi paulaball75, can I ask why you where taking them? Also have you checked with your doc cold turkey can be very dangerous. All that aside good luck I wish you well, I started 2 weeks ago tapering, I was taking 3 X 75mg tapentadol/palexia and 60mg MSD, iv dropped my morning and tea time dose out, the first week wasn't so bad but the second dose was harder and seems to be taking longer to stabilise I am however going to have a few days rest before I drop the next one, I don't know if you've been through this before but it's hellish and you have to do what's right for you but before you do cold turkey please speak to a professional first, I wish you all the best on your journey, stay strong and positive 😊

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi hunni I had major lung surgery and then 6 weeks after that I had a brain operation no I haven't told the dr that I'm addicted I feel ok at the min got a runny nose but that's about it

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Paulaball75 no my mum isn't free of them yet as her body reacted badly to the reduction of them so it has had to be slowed down . Please be very careful as it is extremely dangerous to go cold turkey on codeine x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

The first time I tried to cut down I was really ill to and was told with such a bad reaction cold turkey wasn't an option, stroke, heart attack even death that is why I'm dropping one dose at a time and your mams doing the right thing to, it may take a little longer but it's safer, it won't be long before she's over this so I wish yous both the very best for a brighter future x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi hunni I'm not doing to bad feel like it got the flu had about 4 hours sleep during the night so I'm just staying home today I did end up taking just one tramdol at about midnight because I felt so rough hope ur mom is doing ok lots of love xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi hunni I just feel like I have the flu but I no I haven't everybody else who doesn't no thinks I have I had one tramdaol last night at midnight because I felt so rough had about 4 hours sleep so staying home today and it moving of the sofa I'm going to get some of those nytol tablets to see if they will help me sleep xx how long have u been clear of them xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Ah bless you yes youl be feeling like rubbish the next few days, hot baths are good or a short walk which might seem impossible at times but does make you feel better, sleep as much as you can when you can. I'm only half way through I take 4 doses a day and have cut 2 out and I started 2 weeks ago and today I feel so much better(withdrawal free) but I'm in a lot of pain which is why I was taking them in the first place, im going to drop another dose later this week but really needed a couple of days feeling right before I start again, I would say Thursday last week I'd had enough and new I couldn't go on until I'd rested. Do it at your own pace, make sure you eat if you can and plenty fluids, you are probably going to feel a lot worse before you get better and withdrawals depend on what you take and how your coming off them, if your doing cold turkey you could be poorly for 7-10 days but like I say it depends on your plan, have you got someone close to confined in as it helps to have support, if not I'll be here anytime to help if I can, take care and keep in touch you will be over the worst before you know it 💖

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yes I have my husband and 2 close friends the one friend has been to the shop for me to get a few things in if done a small amount of housework this morning and I am going to force myself to have a sandwich for lunch right now I'm feeling tired but my friend has been and brought me some nytol tablets so hoping they work tonight xx thanks for your advice xx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hey I quit cold turkey myself!! I was on opiates for 5yrs then went to suboxone for 3yrs n I was just tired of it being a part of my everyday life and having to depend on it!! I have 37 days sober today!! The worst for me was the first 10 days the insomnia got the best of me!! I was lucky to get an hour of sleep a night within the first 10days but I did find that taking warm baths and exercise does truly help!! Ik yr not gonna feel like wanting to exercise but push yrself to just take a walk or something!! It does get better!! The only problem I'm fighting now is the anxiety!! I truly got so much more life in me now n I have actual feelings now!! I can actually enjoy life now!! Don't give up n don't look back!! I'm very proud of how far you have come n wish you the best of luck in the rest of yr recovery!!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi babe thanks for taking the time to reply had a rough few days the insomnia is driving me nuts I'm crap with no sleep I feel ok with energy now I'm going out doing my errands the only days I didn't go out was Monday and Tuesday I just couldn't go any were I felt that crap my stomach is settling down so the only thing wrong now is my lack of sleep I did have about 5hours last night so that's the best night yet can't explain what it's like when I try and sleep I just can't get comfy and because Inno im not going to go to sleep I keep thinking about sleep and that doesn't help I do feel better in my self though hope ur doing well babe xxx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yes the lack of sleep was the worst for me also!! I thought I was gonna go insane with no sleep!! I still only average 5 to 6 hours of sleep a night!! I gave up thinking about sleep n dwelling on it!! Just keep pushing everyday it does get better I promise!! Im doing good thanks!! I truly have no desire to even use again or cravings! My anxiety is always up n down but nothing I can't handle!! 38 days sober today!! Very proud of you!! Keep moving forward!! Don't ever give up!!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Hun your probably over the worst of it, well done your doing amazing!! All those wrestles nights and long days are getting easier as we speak, hang in there not long before your on top of the world.

I have have tapered by half but tomorrow I am dropping another dose then in a week I'll drop the last one, have to be honest I'm not looking forward to it as I'm getting bad withdrawals at the moment but know until all this crap is out my body then I'm never going to feel good, I'll keep you updated on my progress, have a great weekend, get wrapped up and out for some fresh air it will make you feel great, best of luck 💖

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you, I know i can do it I don't have a choice anyway just wish I could sleep for the next 2 weeks "haha" but that would be to easy, thanks for the support we all need that little helping hand 💞

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Stick with it Hun you can do it, I dropped my dose today instead of tomorrow so the withdrawals are starting now so I know what your going through, I'm here for you and I know you are for me so well take strength from each other, sending hugs ??Xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Fight it babe mine started with a runny nose then goose bumps that literally spread over ur whole body I now no why they say cold turkey I put the heating on full and wrapped my self up on the sofa everything's over got a bad bad cold coming if only they new x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

What an awful night, so i dropped my 3rd dose yesterday with only my 9pm one to go, I fell asleep around 6pm till 4 this morning waking up with horrendous cramps and the shakes, then I'd realised I'd slept through my last does, not good but I only felt better after taking the meds I missed, I was thinking that I might just go cold turkey for the rest of this journey now, I'm going to feel like crap no matter what but this way it will be around a week of suffering instead of 2, do you think it will be safe to do that? X

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Stay strong babe have u heard of gabetin it's a neurological drug no opium in it it helps with withdrawal I'm on it because if my brain op but when I stopped taking the pain meds I stopped that aswell then I read it helps with withdrawal so I took it last night no restless legs no chills slept for 9 hours x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Gabapentin? Is this what you mean? I have some that I take for sciatica, so these are OK to take for withdrawals and what dose would you take, I'm sure these have got to be better than diazepam, thank you xxx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Diazepam will have some opium in them I'm sure they do yes I just take my normal does 300mg 3 times a day yes the one u said it's what u mean honest read up about it xxx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Honest just type it in to your browser it's all there to read if put my self through hell this week and had those in the kitchen all the time hoping to get some sleep tonight like last night xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yes I slept for 12 hours I never sleep more than 4, iv not been up long but I'm rough today, cramps, runs and the rest but these tablets are going to help massively thank you, how are you today xxx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

If buzzing today I think I've nailed it no cramps no upset stomach no sneezing no runny nose and had some sleep aswell I'm actually cooking a full Sunday roast keep up with those gabepentin babe they really have helped the past few days I was ready to give in on Friday so glad I didn't no a whole week pain killer free and I feel great u can do this if I can u can babe hang in there go at ur own pace if u can't clean the hose or cook a meal don't u have to fight it sending u all the luck and hugs in the world xxx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Ah I'm actually nearly crying reading this, I'm over the moon for you and to think you nearly give up on friday, you've come so far to do that, if you feel like that again you must message and il help you through as much as I can but you've got it now Hun you can only look forward as the future is so bright now, we'll done darl I'm so proud of you xxx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

This time next week u will be jumping for joy because u will be a week free and ur new life and self will be back I'm actually going to start going to the gym 😂😂😂😂 next for me is stopping the cigarettes honest u have got this come on ur strong we are women we have to be strong xxx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I have no desire to take any more meds, I was suppose to taper the last 2 doses and just thought hey it's going to be hell no matter what so I quit the last 2 together, same as you the ciggys are next, I'm going to try the vape but with an oil that is supposed help for pain but not aloud to mention it. I'm feeling ok right now going to shower as iv never stank so much even my dog won't sit next to me 😂😂. Ah the gym is my fav place but can't go because of my back I used to be a fitness instructor so I am so gell right now but over the moon for you the gym will make you feel really good you go for it girl, thank you for all your support by the way xxx😊

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

A fitness instructor ur just what I need I'm crap at keeping fit I joined a gym for twelve months and went once 😂😂😂 I decided I was a sun bed girl 😂😂😂 my hubby was not happy with me xxx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Haha, you don't kneed a gym get out in the fresh air, power walking is great and it dosnt have stress on the joints, you can do all sorts at home as well, ah I love it but have a knackered back so can't do much but I get so angry about it because the surgery I had wasn't even necessary. You have to find what works for you tho or you won't stick at it😂😂, get your husband to go on walks with you😂

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Ah there was so many things went wrong now looking back but back then the Internet wasn't like it is now so research wasn't so easy, the lumbar fussion I had led to me having a cyst on my thiracic cord but went undetected for 7 years and they told me the pain was normal. I now have cervical degeneration and this is all because of lumbar surgery, I had no idea I would end up like this it makes me so angry. I have to have 16 injections every 6 months in my faucet joints this is caused by the opp as well just so I can walk, this is how I ended up on meds so I'm a bit worried about the pain when I'm finished my cold turkey 😊

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I was worried about my pain to but guess what touch wud iv had a few prangs but nothing worth taking morphine for I'm going to have a fag then going to get some sleep with the help of mr gabepentin don't forget to take tours before going to bed xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Ah i feel so ill today it's actually scared me, iv ended up taking diazapam, the docs said that it was dangerous to go cold turkey so I'm panicking a bit, I tapered down 2 doses and thought I'd just drop the last 2 together but I never thought it could make me feel like this, the thought of having to go back on a dose and drag this on for another week I just don't think I have the strength xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Ah bless you, Ye I can't go back but I really did get scared today and thought gave I gone to quick, but it's day2 and I want to be me by the weekend not in another 2 weeks or so I just can't handle it, did you feel this cad and what day should it get better and will I get worse befit I get better xxx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Sorry I feel so ropey that my typing isn't the best, that last part was will I get worse before I get bbetter and did you feel this bad and what day willi start feeling better xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Day 3 and 4 are the worst if u get past those days u will slowly start to feel better stick with it u don't want to be taking them for the rest of ur life think what it's doing to your liver and kidneys xxxxxxx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you Hun, iv had a ropey night, iv got the runs and my legs feel so achy, I'm hoping it dosnt get any worse today but yesterday I thought I could go into work but within an hour of getting up I ended up on my bed shaking, slering my words and feeling like I was going to die, I know that sounds dramatic but it really did scare me, what's with the sneezing 😊Xxx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I have no idea about the sneezing but I can say I haven't stopped sneezing since I stopped them it must be so

W thing to do with the vessels i. The nose returning back to normal xxx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Sorry for being a pain but today is so bad, iv got stomach cramps, the runs, I'm sweating from every part of my body, I'm struggling to keep my balance if I get out of bed but the wrestled legs are the worst, I'm not sleeping through the day but as long as I sleep at night then I'm fine 😊

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Don't u dare go back keep pushing forward another few days and u will see an improvement I promise u your to strong to give in stick with it get a hot water bottle and cuddle it during those bad chills take the gabeptin for the legs take an extra one if just the one doesn't work please please don't go back xxxxxxxz

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Before u know it u will be a week free I'm having anxiety now it's like fluttering feeling and keep going dizzy one day I feel great and the next I feel tired it's really odd but compared to the first 5 days it's nothing ur bad stomach will last a week u get that because ur digestive system it's starting to work how it should the main thing I had was the restless legs and the chills I don't even get the goosebumps now but the sneezing iv still got that I really think the gab has helped me what day are u on now xxxx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I think it's day 4 but I dropped 2 doses within a day of each other so I'm hoping my body has been tricked into thinking its day 5, I feel really good today and even managed to clean down stairs although it nearly killed me, I still get the cramps and I'm sweating and smell so bad and I feel really weak but I think this is day 1 of getting better xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Sorry I'm having to message separately as it keeps going off and iv tried 7 times now😡, when you think what we've put in our bodies I think it's going to take a week or 2 after our ordeal to get back on track, but that's our bodies repairing themselves so it's a good thing, so glad your getting through it tho. Thank you for being my rock through this horrendous ordeal you've been amazing and I thank you from the bottom of my heart ??

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yeah I had to have major lung surgery then they found out that I had a brain annerysium so have had 2 brain operations to try and keep it stable but they have failed so there is no more they can do for it so now they just try and treat the symptoms I get for it I am terminally ill so they say but there's fight left in this old dog yet xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Ah god I'm so sorry to hear that and I know you won't give up you definitely have fight in you big time!! you have been amazing for me I can't thank you enough, I wish you all the good luck in the world and all the strength to fight this ??💞??

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Paula sorry I havnt been in touch but my Facebook went down and not really that bothered about it to be honest, just thought I'd let you know how I'm doing, anyway it's week 7 and I'm back to work 🤗 I never thought I'd see the day, when your in it you just dream of it, it did take 6 weeks in total but I got there in the end, still have a bit restless leg but even the post withdrawals are barely noticeable, I feel human again even got my appetite back and put a few pounds back on all ready, I have chronic back pain but you know what if I can't do it I don't and my family have been a great help, I will never go back to to taking pain killers so have to try and manage it differently now, it's not until you come out the other end you realise just how destructive opiods are on so many levels im just glad i havnt wasted any more time.

I want to thank you so much for getting me through it you've been amazing and maybe one day I can thank you in person, I hope your keeping well also and wish you and your family all the luck in the world and sending big hugs to you you've been my rock 💖💞💖xxx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Aw you have made me cry I'm so so proud of you I may have helped but you did all the hard work it's great to feel alive I'm sleeping a lot better now I even get up at a decent time and don't feel like a zombie now you just don't realise how the painkillers zap every inch of the real person you are I'm never taking them again and I really think the doctors who prescribe them should be held accountable it's been on the news that there has been a death increase in people who are in morphine and tramadol that says it all really feel so sorry for the people who this has happened to but at the same time so proud of you me and everybody else who has stopped them that's a few more lives saved love u loads babe xxx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

You've been a hugh help more than youl ever know, so glad your getting back on top to Hun, every word you said there is so true iv missed out on so much, I thought I was on top of things but how wrong I was, it absolutely destroys everything about you as a person without even knowing, I'm Also sleeping better but got this awful cold/bug at the mo but you know what I'm even having a night out with hubby tomorrow and I'm so exited about it something we havnt done for over 2 years other than a few family occasions iv had to go to, sending hugs right back, take care Hun xxx

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up