Optimism

Posted , 4 users are following.

Was on 45g for 2 years and 30g prior. Down to 7.5g in 6 weeks.  Doc said stop completely.  Not brave enough!  7.5g first week and alternate or so next.  

Anyway feeling fine, No probs.  Slight irreg sleeping patterns and a bit of a ming-gong, one day, but nothing extoardinare.

One little tip for those that rely on mirt for sleep and want to reduce is:- the eves when you go to bed and are tired..don't take anything, if you wake up give yourself an hour or so- watch telly, radio etc restless legs, pacing etc.  Take one half of normal dose.  Sleep guaranteed..  2 or 3 hrs later ok prob bizarre dreams, but still sleep, good enough for the next day.  Take it from there!

It really does get better,  Heather.  

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I really like & admire the "Doc said stop completely (at 7.5) NOT BRAVE enough". ..... I think you have been very brave and done so well up to here & now. I agree with your inner voice that's telling you to take it steady.

2 years on MIRT is after all considered long term, & trusting your instincts & knowing your own body (& mind) as you're saying has to be the right way.

May you continue to do as well as you have so far - I hope the 7.5 to zero is as plain sailing as it has been so far. Hope you stay with us to tell your story / very interesting as most folk appear to take a lot longer.

Wishing you well Heather smile.

• Posted

Hi I just wanted to ask advice. I have been off mirt for just over three months. My only withdrawal is insomnia and I am still struggling. My sleep came back for couple of weeks although not like I used to sleep but back to some nights where only get an hour and a half. Is this withdrawal or my anxiety back again I am so confused. I don't really want to go back on it. Thanks susan
    • Posted

Hi Susansasha

You don't say how long you were taking Mirt' for but it definately sounds like the withdrawal from Mirt' - even after 3 months.  Awful isn't it to get this far and still have similar symptoms to when you first started taking it !  Insomnia will cause anxiety in some people, me included, others just feel groggy - I wouldn't mind the groggy so much would you !

Normal sleep pattern takes time to come back for most after Mirt' as our brains have got used to the sleep aid and need time to readjust and the slower we withdraw the better able our brains are to readjust (aledgedly !).  One lady on here this week said she just reads for an hour when she can't get back to sleep - by which time she feels tired again and goes back to sleep - the worst thing for us is to lay in bed "trying hard" to get to sleep, vicious circle, so maybe get a few easy books for a while?

I hope your sleep returns soon, and wish you well x

• Posted

hi i started mirap 4 wks ago, 2 wks on 7.5 and last 2 on 15 mg, think is i find there making me worse was given for anxiety but am now extremely drepressed, i have cut down to 7.5 the last 3 nights do you think i'd be ok just stopping from tonight
    • Posted

Hi April, I answered you in another discussion also.  It's not good to stop quickly on Mirt' - I know you said you had only been on it for 4 weeks - but I would go slowly,  stay on 7.5 for a week longer, then take one on alternative nights (missing one) for a week, then take 7.5 twice a week.  If at any time your anx' feels worse it will be the reaction from this med ... come back on the forum so we can help you further.

Wishiong you well x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.