Options for Protein for people living with Achalasia

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had Achalasia for over a year this is diagnosed as number 3 with spasms and Dysphagia which means difficulty swallowing. I don't have much support with Doctors in the U.S. Because of lack of knowledge on their part. What I have found is a way to put nutrients back into our bodies when we can't eat. People that have Achalasia don't absorb foods properly so we have to look for alternatives

3 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I was taught a lot while in the hospital by nurses and this has helped me improve.

First thing I had to learn was the definition of liquid diet and full liquids..puree..and soilids.

a liquid diet is just drinks grape juice..aple juice..jello..

Full liquid diet includes a soup..milk etc...

Then you move up to puree  like mashed potatoes..puree green beans..apple sauce yum best for us!!....almost baby food diet.

Then if you can move up to solids...fish..pork...hamburgers...pizza..and even though pasta is supposed to be bad..I enjoy a pasta salad for opening my sphincter chased by milk on my good days. Mostly bland items are preferable I find.

I gave up on steak...and too spicy items..although I do o.k. with mexican food.

I even kill H. Phylori bacteria using an old indiand trick the doctors would not like me sharing...

• Posted

Jamie62411, how do you put nutrients into your body when you can't eat? My mom has Achalasia and is not keeping Ensure down. I agree with you 100% that US doctors don't have the knowledge.
    • Posted

She has to keep trying until it does...I will have sometimes 1-2 good days if I keep trying. And of course there will always be bad days.

It is very difficult to teach the milk trick and when it will not work.

Start the morning off by trying to drinka small shot glass of milk..your goal is 2 shot glasses of milk..I mean a big shot glass not tequila size..but double or triple that size.

Even if milk does not stay down...proceed with normal meals.

Then try to chase it down with milk...sometimes the weight of food and milk causes sphincter to open up...very rarely.

Also be ready to throw up the milk and food if the sphincter does not open and you don't want to sufffocate.

I know she will fail a lot...but chocolate pudding with whip cream helps sometimes too after a meal..then do milk trick.

I usually add chocolate flavoring to my milk too..my body likes chocolate..

Sometimes I feel it is psychological...but know it is not true.

My worse nights are wehn i spend all day preparing the best meal in the world...by night I fail..but sometimes next day sphincter opens up and I get to enjoy my labor.

Eating at home is only way you can afford to throw up things F.Y.I.

And you need to start her off with liquid diet and work up by how she feels..I cheat and eat a burger or pizza now and then..

Also apple sauce is another secret of mine that helps comfort.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.