Oral Lichen Planus

Posted , 18 users are following.

I think I have Oral Lichen Planus but I can't get a doctor to confirm it.  I have had mouth sores in my check area since 2009 and now my gums are very red and inflammed and have been told that I have white lines on my inside cheek area.  When I go to a dentis to have my teeth cleaned, I am always turned away because they don't like the looks of my mouth sores.  In 2013 I had doctor swab my mouth and send for testing and also did blood work but was told nothing showed up. I think she was looking for bacterial effection.  In the mean time, I continue with a very sore mouth.

I have a hard time eating anything because the sores are next to my bottom back teeth so eating irritates the sores a lot at night I sometimes bite the area with sores due to swelling so they pretty much never heal. 

I recently went to a new dentist and she too wouldn't work on my teeth but she gave me details as to her concerns and told me to get checked for an Auto Immune disorder.  I have since been to a doctor and had blood taken to check for that and then they sent me to  ENT.  He mentioned Oral Lichen Planus which was the first time I have heard of it.  He wants to do a biopsy and then he mentioned a steriod rinse. 

I also researched OLP and I have all the symptoms listed so I just don't understand how going to doctors since 2010 about the mouth sores, no one can figure it out?  Am I finally heading in the right directions for diagnosis?  I scares me that it has been left un treated for 5 years when I read that sometimes those with OPL can lead to mouth cancer.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm no expert on LP but some of the other correspondents on this site are.  It does sound like oral LP and I too have some mild symptoms and am reserving judgement.  What I have learned over the past couple of years is that GPs don't know very much about lichen planus or lichen sclerosis.  I had to research my lichen planus of the nails and then tell my GP what I thought it was.  He didn't agree but referred me to a dermatologist who confirmed my diagnosis.  Lichen sclerosis was diagnosed by my GP practice's locum - an older and wiser lady - although, again, I had researched it and already come to the same conclusion.  This is an excellent site for sharing info and I am sure you will get an informed reply soon.  Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Kathryn. Thanks for the resonse.  This is the first time I have felt I am actually getting somewhere with this.  I'm in the US ( California) and I am so shocked of the care I have been given.  I have all but one symptom of OPL so it's frustrating that no one could figure it out.  I wasn't until a recent detanl visit where the dentist mentioned how my gums are blood red and was very worried about me.  I knew they didn't look normal which was why I was there.  Dentist here won't even do a basic cleaning here until they do a scale cleaning but then no one would do both because of my sores. I feel like a tennis ball going back and forth.  Until yesterday seeing the ENT and the doing my own research and finding what he mentioned OPL.  Finally!  I am so anxious to get treatment started.  I just worry that it took 5 years to get to this point. Thanks again! 
  • Posted

Hi, I was diagnosed with olp last year by my dentist. Went to the max fax unit at the hospital, had a biopsy, piece from top left gum and tongue taken and diagnosis confirmed. I have stayed away from all fruit except bananas, and those only occasionaly. I don't drink very much coffee and sugar also irritates it. I have the red sore and white lines on my gums and cheeks and white places on my tongue which get sore sometimes for no reason I can think of, except of course stress out tiredness bring it on. So, I ise herbal Colgate toothpaste which still has fluoride in and my dentist approves of, I rinse occasionally with prednisalone tablets to help before and after meals, and have a mild hydrocortisone cream, less than 1% which you can buy over the counter in the UK and have been told I can use that on my mouth sparingly up to 7 days on one session, but no longer. I tend only to use it a couple of time and it brings relief. Other s on this site will offer you other alternative ways of dealing with it and you will have to try what's best for you. The good thing about this site is that we are all trying to help each other and when you can't cope, post something and someone will be there for you. It isn't a condition a lot of people have which is why there isn't massive info about it, but stay with us here and get your support. I hope you see some improvement very soon and try. It to worry too much. I always ask my dentist to look in my mouch to see if there is anything which he is concerned about and if he says no, I am putting my faith in him.  You take good care and I hope some of this info helps you. Gail
    • Posted

Thank you Gail for all your suggestions. Until I can get to the bottom of it with the doctors, I will try that toothpaste you suggested because the mint in the toothpaste I use now really burns my mouth. Don't even get me started on a little salsa. My cheeks burned for a couple hours yesterday after having just a little in a soft taco.  I'm also getting that steriod mouth rinse today so I'm hoping that helps. I just wish that all those dentist in the past would have given me better advise so I could have gotten on this sooner. I'm in the US (California) so medical and dental care really lack here.  I was told by one dentist a month ago that I had 6 cavities then went for a second opinion and was told I had 1 cavity. :0 so that is why I say that.  Thanks for your well wishes and I will stay with this blog because this is the first time I have felt I am getting closer to getting relief.
  • Posted

ckitefly, now that you've been officially diagnosed with OLP, I would suggest using great care in what you eat. Mouth sores can turn into oral cancers, so it's something that requires frequent maintenance. I had no idea I had OLP until a sore developed on the inside of my cheek and ended up being diagnosed as squamous cell carcinoma. That led to a couple of years worth of surgeries, chemo and radiation therapies.

There are a number of triggers for OLP, though it's rare enough that many doctors don't think about it. There are reactions to medications that can trigger it. Dental work (such as certain metal fillings) too. For me, it seemed that spicy or acidic food exacerbated it. Tomatoes with salt would make my mouth burn. Look at your diet and try to avoid those kinds of foods. I've read in a couple of places that nightshades (tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants, peppers, etc) can impact OLP because ot the alkaloids they contain.

One thing to stay away from: High alcohol mouthwashes like Listerine. My ENT is convinced that that's what triggered my oral cancer (since I don't drink or smoke.)

He also prescribed something called Lycopene, which is a tomato derivative and should be available in the herbal supplements section of your local pharmacy. That has research behind it. 8 mg was prescribed, but I think that the 10 mg version is what's sold.

Getting this under control will require you to be persistent. Keep bugging your doctors for answers/referrals.

Best of luck!

• Posted

Awesome information so thank you very much! I will do that.  It's frustrating because I have mentioned most of what you said to doctors in the past.  I actually went to an Oral Surgeon and he looked at my mouth and said it didn't look like cancer then proceded to pull out a book and look at the pictures with me and said "no doesn't look like that".  I am worried about Oral Cancer at this point because it's gone on for so long.   My ENT didn't seem to think that it was but still wants to do the biopsy which I am all for if that gives us answers.  Food really triggers the sores so those suggestions are helpful.  It's funny how you mentione dental work and metals because the sores started right after I got metal fillings in my mouth.  However, what I brought that up, I was told no and maybe mostly because the fillings are on one side and the sores are on both.  I am on blood pressure medication so I should check to see if that could possibly be it too because it was also around the same time I changed to what I am taking now.  It has managed to keep my blood pressure normal but still I'm sure my body could react bad to it this way.

Thanks

Carolyn

• Posted

Hi just wondered if you have lp anywhere else or have ever had any trouble with abnormal cells from a smear test through hpv only I have and think they are both related because of this virus xx. Keep well xx
    • Posted

I started off with lichen sclerosis (which crossed over to lp) of the genitalia, with some patches on my back.  Lichen sclerosis of the genitalia can, allegedly, increase the risk of cancer and I have 3 monthly hospital check ups by a consultant gynaecologist to make sure all is well.  I am told that the cancer risk is low but, wherever normal cells are damaged, there is a risk.
    • Posted

Hi Kathryn

Hope you are well do you know what started your lp how old are you I'm 57 and I am wondering if you have ever had a problem with abnormal cells after a smear test Xx

• Posted

Thankfully, no. I'm also a 54 year old male.

FWIW, I haven't seen any medical studies correlating OLP and HPV.

From what I've been reading on this site, there definitely seems to be a connection to age and body chemistry changes. I wish some researchers would put some serious effort into this disease.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link as it was to a site unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hi Karen

I am 56.  After a prolonged period of stress at work I was diagnosed with lichen sclerosis of the genitalia and back.  This crossed over to LP of my fingernails (which are rapidly disappearing) last autumn.  I have never had an abnormal smear test.  I had self-diagnosed LS as my GP wasn't convinced and it wasn't until I saw a locum that I was referred to a gynaecologist.  Again, my GP wasn't convinced that my nail problem was LP but I persisted until I was referred to a dermatologist who confirmed it.  My LS is pretty well controlled with steroid cream but there is no treatment for the LP.  Nothing to control it so I am just watching my nails split, tear and thin away to nail bed. 

• Posted

I have had OLP & it seems you have too. The biopsy on mine came back non cancerous. The white spots are what confirm it for me, that plus the pain when you eat certain things, mainly hot drinks & curry's, chilli's all the things I love to eat, I have had to give up. The mouthwash does help if you use it often. I also had the swelling, causing me to bite my inner cheek. I was diagnosed by my dentist, who refered me to a Maxilofacial Clinic, where, lo & behold, hewas the doctor there too! It's an Imune system problem, but it is gradually getting easier after 3yrs. A very unpleasant illness, but there are remedies, it just takes time. I wouldn't be too concerned about cancer though. It's very rare. 

• Posted

Thak you for the response.  That helps my stress on that. Question. Did you even have numbness in your tongue? I get it off and on and not sure if that is something related. Also, did you shows signs in your gums too?  Mine are blood red and I was told that's the gingivitis part of it too.  I was told to get an antibiotic mouth wash for that part of it too.  I don't eat a lot of spicy foods so that won't be too hard. Hot foods bother me the most. Like french fries. It feels like it burns new sores everytime.  Can't even chew gum either.  Thanks again!  Cheers from California !!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.