Ordering drugs online

Posted , 5 users are following.

There have been lots of posts on this forum recently about GPs refusing to prescribe drugs like nalmefeme for patients. Some people seem to be able to get it easily, whilst others have GPs who won't prescribe it.

I know that some GPs, my own included, have a surgery policy of not prescribing as they haven't got the facilities to monitor and counsel patients, even though they meet the NICE guidelines.

some people are happy to pay for a consultation with a private physciatrist and then pay for a private prescription, which for a 28 days supply is about £120.

I personally would never buy drugs and medicines online, although I know many do. I just wanted to know how can you ensure that what you think you're buying is what you actually get.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Vickylou,

I have seen this myself also and it saddens me a as it seems to say those who can afford help will get it and as for the rest....well

Ive seen many medications online also, which shows are health and government either dont care or cannot be bothered. They're happy it seems as long as economy grows and fat cats get richer.

Im only now realising the true extent of my alcohol problems and do worry. I hope strongly that there will be some help available thats not riddled with risk and uncertainty as im sure to need it to prolong my life and ensure that my daughter retains some father through life.

Nobody can in my opinion be sure as to what they're getting or doing to their body's by taking online meds.

Take care and best wishes

Michael

• Posted

Hi smile Vickilou, will they not prescribe naltrexone either? It's very similar but you don't have to have the counselling backup like nalmefene. Maybe Paul can shed some light on this...
  • Posted

I don't think you can ever be 100% sure, but usually word of mouth from someone you know and trust who has ordered the same medication from a particular online pharmacy and not experienced any problems with either the medication, the ordering process, and the delivery.

• Posted

I am not sure you can ever be sure about on line ordering.

With regard monitoring and support there is very little medical monitoring for the GP to do. The drug is very safe and does not harm the Liver. As Paul has said Paracetomol is more harmful. The way we met the criteria was to make a self referral to a substance misuse organisation called NERAF. It is a charity funded organisation.

My support worker ( who learned from myself about Nalmafen and Nice guidlines ) liaised with my GP.  So it can be done .  It just needs a willing GP practise to realise that this is a good investment even though the medication is not cheap. In my case I am taking less and less tablets as I am drinking on less days. The tablet is only taken on days you are going to have a drink.

It perhaps needs some more publicity and the issue raised that GP's are not fully aware and educated on the management of this treatment option. Maybe it needs to be highlighted to our local MP's especially in those areas where people are having difficulties obtaining the treatmwent when they clearly meet the NICE guidlines criteria.

Ray

• Posted

There are others here who can advise more abut drugs online. I just wanted to say that your GP does not have to have the facilities to monitor and council patients. Not that I am sure what monitoring Nalmafene requires from a GP as is is quite safe.  I made a self referral to a charitable organisation who offer support. Although they had no experience of Nalmefene they were after a period of time able to liaise with my GP who went on the prescribe the drug. See what is available in your area and speak to your GP again.    

From what I remember from the NICE guidelines simple support from your GP if he wanted to and would meet the criteria as it is quite vague on that recommendation.

• Posted

Sorry not sure why this thread came up again as a new thread. I see it was an old one and I had replied previously !
    • Posted

Thanks any thanks anyway rayboy for replying. My GP didn't even know about either drugs and neither did the alcohol worker at the drug and alcohol centre I was referred to! Maybe didn't want to know lol! I provided them both with info I'd printed off, but neither were really interested. In fact my GP referred to them as American mumbo jumbo rubbish. I gave up trying in the end as its a postcode lottery. Cut back myself, had a few drinks over Xmas, but nothing this year. Hope you're doing ok and thanks again.
  • Posted

Vicky, great that you were able to cut back yourself. Maybe you probably didn't really need a drug to help you cut down. It was what i thought I had which was a habit rather than a dependancy on alcohol. However, it got to the point in time with me where I could not miss a day without a drink and could not stop at one drink. I was never a drinker who needed a drink when I woke up or through the day. However, it caught up with me and Nalmefene or a drug like it was what I needed to kickstart my life change. 

It is strange that the alcohol workers had not heard about Naltrexone as it has been in use for years in this country. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.