ORIF surgery ankle.. popping noise?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone, first time here so im unsure wether i have put this in the correct place. I had a biomalleolar fracture, both sides were broke and one was out of place. Had 3 screws on the displaced side and the other was left to heal naturally. I have just started walking without the boot and ive noticed a popping sound coming from the front of my leg at the bottom near the top of the foot

When i put my hand on it i can feel something "popping" in there... it is painless but the feeling of it popping with every step isnt very nice to say the least, has anyone experienced this before? many thanks 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi. I am 9 weeks post surgery for a tri mal, and in my 4th week of PT. I just started taking steps with crutches this week. Before I started taking steps, my PT did some manipulation that caused a popping sound, which has happened a couple times since. Like yours, it doesn't cause any pain. And my PT says it's fine. Did you have an x ray prior to weight bearing? I'd suggest checking it with your doc. Congrats on walking!

• Posted

yes i had an x-ray last week and they said it looked good, its just every step i take i can feel this popping and its honestly disgusting to feel haha... i really really hope this isnt for life. Thank you ! i hope yours is going well also smile

• Posted

Hopefully, it's just everything healing and the bones getting back to where they need to be for walking. This whole process has been fairly disgusting. Onward and upward. Good luck. Thanks!

• Posted

Hi, Billy. It should be fine. I had trimalleoar fracture 8/14, surgery 8/25. Starting PT next week. Just got out of boot and transititioning into shoe. My ankle popped even lying in bed sometimes..
  • Posted

I have the same thing and I'm 16 weeks post op. I brought it up with the doctor and he says his ankles pop too! But with every step it's annoying. Has yours gone away or still making noise?

• Posted

Hi nancy, yes mine has gone away. I was told by a physio that the popping was due to my ankle being stiff so stuff was grinding more than normal, so make sure you stay on top of your exercises and try to get as much flexibility as possible.

The popping went before but i have had the screws removed also which has given me alot more confidence as i could feel the head of the screw poking out lol.

Let me know how you get on and if you have any more questions dont hesitate to ask if you think i can be of any use.

• Posted

Thanks for your helpful, fast response. Much more helpful than the doctor's answer. I'm glad to hear yours was temporary, as you may be mad by now with hearing that noise for 10 months.

• Posted

haha not a problem, hopefully yours goes away soon! good luck with it all
  • Posted

Hi Billy,  My ankle no longer makes noises when walking, yay smile  I'm hoping to get hardware out in April as the medial screws bother me.  Was it worth it for you to get your hardware out?

Nancy

• Posted

Hi Nancy, that is great to hear! Did you find the cause to be tight muscles/ligaments that improved with physio?

And yes 100%, for me, the screws were all on the medial side and when they was removed my ankle felt so much better and personally gave me more confidence in my ankle. I know for me the thought of another operation was a bit of a buzzkill after just feeling like i was getting back to some normality but it was definitely worth the temporary hold up.

How is your ankle progressing overall ?

• Posted

Hi I read your comment and I had to ask. I’m planning to also remove hardware from my ankle in about 4 months, I am wondering if swelling has gone away? And by removing the hardware if it helped remove swelling? 
    • Posted

hey, removal of my hardware did help with the swelling but its still slightly swollen but it doesn't effect me. Im sure its just a case by case thing but i think its always best to not have hardware in unless necessary 

• Posted

Hi Billy,  I believe it was tight ligaments which improved with my physio.  I later found that another spot was making a grinding feeling on the anterior/lateral ankle when dorsiflexing ; There was a soft mass under my skin which is most likely scar tissue and physio helped with breaking it up smile

Overall my chief complaint at 6 months is inflammation, which is greatly relieved by an ice pack smile

Keep me updated on the swelling!  I hope it goes completely away eventually!

Nancy

• Posted

smile i had a sports massage about 3/4 weeks ago which really helped with tightness/ankle aches after walking for long durations so if you get any bother id look into that, and yeah i should really be icing my inflammation more too.

Good luck in the rest of your recovery!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.