Orlistat

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site and was hoping to get any advice on best practices for taking this medication.

Im not sure how much food I should be eating.

Any advice please

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi welcome to the gang! I believe we should be eating very low fat & less calories too. The rule for food is less than 5g fat per 100g portion with no more than 15g of fat per meal x3 a day & 1 3g fat snack a day. I like porridge ir shredded wheat for breakfast with frozen berries, lunch is ryevita & low fat cheese triangles & veg sticks/soup/salad for lunch with fat free yoghurt & fruit & dinner is roasted sweet potato & salad or healthily made cottage pie & veg stuff like that. I'm kinda following slimming world & eating from the list of free foods & speed foods mainly. Xx

• Posted

Hello Catherine, thank you for your response. Really good of you to give me some good information and tips. Appreciate that. I'm starting on Wednesday so I'm really looking forward to getting started. How long have you been on this diet and how are you finding things? Many thanks. Paul.x

• Posted

Hi Paul, you're very welcome. I got my tablets Christmas week but didn't start til after Christmas - 3 weeks later & I've lost 11lbs. When I first started there was hardly any action on these forums but I think that post-Christmas a lot of people have got their prescription & there's been a hive of activity since which is great.

I'll be honest I have struggled with cravings & I have given in at times but I'm getting better at the mind over matter stuff. I gave in to dessert over the weekend & the effects have not pleasant & I can honestly say that though the bakewell tart & ice cream was delicious at the time it soooo wasn't worth it & I won't be repeating it! I see my GP next week to check-in & I'm hoping to lose 8lbs (tall order admittedly but aiming high!) to hit my 5% target when I see her.

I have found planning your meals ahead helps so then you factor your shopping around your menu plus you're prepared - organisation us key for me! Cath xx

• Posted

Hi Cathy, thanks for your response.

By the sounds of it you've done really well. Well since my last mail I've started the tablets, day two and no issues so far. Albeit far too early at the moment.

Really enjoying the fact I'm just doing something about it. I have four stone that I need to loose so I'm feeling really headstrong at the moment and I know I'm going to do it this time. That sounds like a nightmare with the bakewell and icecream, I suppose the beauty is that if you eat food that's fat it's going to cause havoc and I think that's the beauty of this diet, stay away from fatty foods or we'll be in trouble in the loop department.

I've taken your advice and planned my meals for the next few days, breakfast is easy as that's my standard weetabix, low fat youghurt and berries, Weightwatchers bread, ham salad sandwiches and fruit and turkey mince balls with a tomato sauce with courgette spaghetti.

Anyway I hope all is going well for you. Keep strong and keep up the good work.

Paul.x

• Posted

Hi Paul, it sounds as if you are making great starting progress which is brilliant. Does it seem easier having planned ahead? It always makes me feel in control ;-)

How do you think you'll fair over the weekend? I try to think of it as just any other day which is hard cos I've always associated weekends with splurging on drinking with friends/take aways etc. I don't really drink much now, haven't done since having my daughter 4yrs ago but its still nice to have a glass of wine etc every now & again but now of course it feels like empty calories!

How was the courgette spaghetti? Did it fill you up? I tried butternut squash noodles with turkey Bolognese & I enjoyed it but I did get hungry later on as my dinner had been prob 80% vegetables!!!

Keep in touch & keep staying strong & in the zone, Cath xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.