Orlistat and constipation

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

Ive been on orlistat twice before, the first time I lost 3 stone which was fab!

I had my gall bladder out a year later but rhen gained all the weight I lost and a stone more so doctor put me back on them due to bad back- I struggled like crazy but plateu'd after a stone loss, I was running everyday and didnt have red meat and just had healthy diet, I asked continuously if lack if gall bladder effected it but was told no but because of feeling like a naughty child when the scales stayed the same I quit. Due to my back and sciatica getting beyond bad and needing an op to fix me my doc has put me on them again, this time im on high dise if opiate pain killer and amitriptyline im badly constipated so was wondering if it would effect the success of the orliatat- when I asked doctor he looked puzzled so got no answer with lol

Sorry for long story but I do hope there is someone who can give me helpful answer

Thanks xxxxx

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Wow dib ow long did it take 4 u 2 loose 3 stone. Think its hit an miss but i struggle with eating any fat at all i dnt eat meat or fish so eat pasta veg cheese but only low fat but i loosin a bit lost 3 pound this week after puttin all the weight on a weekend away x i am also disabled so cannot exercise x sorry bout goin on iam strugglin 2 but keep goin as i am an we can c ow we go x
    • Posted

Hiya

It took just iver a year to loose the 3 stone, I find it hard as cant exercise and if I do I can barely move after and for the next wk, before I went on them the 2nd time there was difficulty in getting them as suppliers could get any then a few months later they could so I thought that they could of changed an ingredient ir something lol. I dont care how long it takes really- although badly need op as soon as- because nothing that happens quickly lasts. Good luck on your journey sweet, fingers crossed for the bith if us lol xxx

• Posted

Hope u get what I meant, bloomin phone changing words ha ha x
  • Edited

Hi love yes it will affect you if your badly constipated as it makes you weigh heavy you need some thing to help you go toilet I have same problem with my meds so gp gave me some searchers so see another doctors and ask for some good luck hugs jill xxx
    • Posted

Meant satchets lol xx
    • Edited

Let me know if another doctor says anything different, as mine are near enough useless lol z
  • Posted

Hey Dibd4b

I've had my gallbladder out too. 

And, last week was my second week on orlistat, and I became very constipated. Having never really suffered constipation before, it was very frustrating. Needless to say, I lost no weight last week.

I'm not on any other medication, but you should keep in mind when you're taking your medication. Orlistat's side effects may mean that your medication will be flushed through rather than absorbed properly into the body.

I started taking Senekot in the evening, and it took about 4 days to come into effect, but things are now functioning smoothly again.

I also noticed that I was having about 4g of fat in a meal, so I actually upped my fat intake a bit, in order to lower my carbs.

• Posted

Hiya lauren,

I know with no gall bladder our bidies digest/break down foods differently and way slower than with, and that our bidies are in constant starvation mode- and medication is going to alter things slightly its just im not having the side effects as with the first time I used them. I know I should increase what im eating as I really dont have an appetite with morphine so have started to increase intake, I guess with constipation I am worried it wont work. I have prescribed medication for the constipation but was hoping I woupd need them with orlistat as doc said I wouldnt need to. Fingers crossed that its just me being negative and when I go for my weigh in I will be pleasantly surprised. Fingers crossed for you too x

• Posted

Omg my phone is really annoying me- im looking like I right div lol
    • Posted

Just an update

4days ago I bought some fat metabolisers from holland and barrets and I know longer have constipation- was told it would help a sluggish metabolism. Now the orlistat is working as it did before so im now feeling way more positive and not having to take laxitives yay lol xx

• Posted

That's great which ones did you get as I suffer bad with constipation xxx

• Posted

Go on holland and Barrett website and put in fat metaboliser, they are in a red bottle and think they still are half price but usually £3 I think xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.