Orlistat and hypothyroidism

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all

Wondering if anyone else has hypothyroidism low b12 or low vitamin D and takes orlistat? 

I tried it before and lost half a stone but it was reducing my vitamin d levels. 

I have been told to try them again while taking vitamin d 1000iu. 

Does anyone else have low vit d or b12 or thyroid trouble and take orlistat ? 

Has it worked for you still? 

When's best to take your tablets as to not be effected ? 

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi yes I have a Underactive Thyroid (hyperthyroidism) and take Orlistat. Ive been taking the pills since Februaury and I have lost 2.3 stone so yes they do work. I stagger my tablets as the Orlistat can interfere with Levothyroxine, as long as they are taken 4 hours apart then its ok. I have regular blood checks to make sure everythings ok. 

Things may happen a little slower for us but it does happen.

• Posted

Wow that's a fab loss.

Little scared about taking them with the other tablets incase I get any problems but my weight is bothering me so much think I'm going to have to give it a go. 

Doctor is going to regularly check my levels so sure it will be fine. Going to start tomorrow morning so will keep you posted x

• Posted

Hi thank you for your post which gives me a light at the end of the tunnel. I'm booked to see my doctor next week as I'm 2 to 3 stone over weight! Your story gives me some hope that I too can with a little help loose some weight. I exercise 3/4 times a week and eat a pretty health diet of fish, veg, salads, very little bread and pasta if any at all without much success. I would just like to know if you don't mind what your start and end weights were. Also I know that you have to have a starting bmi of 28 and over but do you have to stop the orlistat if you drop below 28. Kind regards Catherine

• Posted

This is actually my second time on Orlistat and it worked the 1st time too. Just stagger your pills and you will be fine.

Good luck on your weight loss

• Posted

hi clair17 i have an under active thyroid & low b12 i have a b12 injection evry 3 months, it is working good for me i was on it a few years ago & i lost 4 stone, i have started again as i have osteo arthris in my knee hips & shoulder
    • Posted

I'm glad others with thyroid problems are finding good results. Honestly I have had so many health problems uncovered in the last year my size had sort of been pushed to the back of my mind. I was feeling ill for so long and after bloods found hypothyroidism, low b12 and low vit d. Kept being told might be ME but not so sure about that. Now I'm on medication the weight is bothering me . I am on day 2 of orlistat so will keep u
  • Posted

i take 3 orlistat a day if you keep to low fat thing you should be ok,I was ill aswell before they found out i have a quite a few medical problems.i need a new knee & both hips so its just a matter of waiting now 
    • Posted

HEllon linda28674... just read your blog and registered myself. ...will be starting with orlistat. ..hope it gives me results. ...I have been with hypo since 5 yrange and my weight is touching the roofs.nothing is working. ...7.5 is what I'm diagnosed

Hoping I won't have any more after orlistat. ...done share your ways of the dose.

Thank you

• Posted

yes it will any time you want i,ll be here, just been weighed & i,ve lost neary a stone so i,ll keep going as long as i can xx
  • Posted

Hiya,

I have Underactive thyroid and also other problems and have been told I might have ME, Fibromyalgia, they dont really know whats up with me. However I have not heard about Orlistat and would appreciate it if someone could tell me more.  Where to get it. Can it be obtained from the doctors etc.  My weight is a problem as I have sleep apnea.  I have been advised to loose weight but with the tiredness etc I can not get motivated.  It would be really good to be able to take something that is not a miracle diet aid but that works and is ok to use. 

Any replies would be very grateful  x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.