Orlistat not working.. i'm might try reductil?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Morning all..

3 weeks on and Orlistat has done nothing for me, ive lost 2 pounds but to be honest i think its just because of my low fat diet. Orlistat doesnt do wonders for me compared to the amazing success stories on here. Im going to the GP on tuesday so i might ask for Reductil cos it would fit in with me better as I am happy with the low fat diet and exericse routine so i think reductil would compliment that.

Total loss on my own is 1.5 stone now smile Orlistat might do somehitng but if it does, it is so minor so i'm not counting it.

miami

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Miami!

I too have still had no success with Orlistat and so am off to the doctors next week to ask for reductil! Let me know how you get on on Tuesday :-)

Hippolump x

• Posted

I'm pleased in a way - cos at least I know it's not just me it doesn't work for! We've been on it the same sort of time I think so it's good we're both thinking the same. I'll post on Tuesday after docs and tell you what she says.. Have a great weekend :D
  • Posted

I know exactly what you mean - I feel mean for saying it (as I don't wish it on anyone) but it is reassuring to know that someone else is in the same boat and that its not just me that Orlistat isn't working for!! I am on week 3 at current so when I go to the docs next week (appt is on Fri) I would have near enough completed my 4 weeks.. I have been so tempted to go back before this point but I knew she would just send me away and tell me to keep trying it for the full month.... fingers crossed for reductil. Have a good weekend :-) x
  • Posted

Hi Hippolump & Miami,

welcome to the club!

1st month I was a huge fan. Lost 9kg and felt amazing. 2nd month lost noghting. last 2 weeks, put on 2kg (increased fat content).

Regardless of what i eat I don't get any effects from the orlistat. I never though i would miss orange oil but........

I haven't been back to indian food though. That was too bad to even think about.

But gettign very cheesed off as I just want somethign to work. I have tried increasing my fat content in meals - nothing!

So, like you both, I am thinking of going back to the docs and asking to try something else.

Lelly xx

• Posted

Hi Miami

How did you get on at the docs yesterday? I have today stopped taking Orlistat as I have STILL not lost even a pound!!! Although I don't have my own docs appointment until Friday I have decided enough is enough with the Orlistat! Why am I continually putting something into my body that is not actually helping?? Will see what the doctor suggests on Friday but I am feeling uber fed up and the hot weather isn't helping... I feel even more fat and grotesque than normal!!

Be good to hear how you got on :-)

• Posted

Well folks, I am now convinced there is something more going on in my knackered old body. Orlistat is doing nothing. I keep a food diary that shows I am taking in <1500 cals a day (usually <1000) which according tot he Alli booklets is right for someone who does no exercise and needs to lose 8 stone.

So I should be losing weight even without the tabs. But in the last 5 weeks I've actually put weight on!

Something is going very wrong!

Lelly xx

• Posted

Hi Guys..

I went to the docs and told her that I've lost 2 pounds in 3 weeks since starting Orlistat and that i actually think it's just down to me as that's about what I was losing on my own. She reckons that is a stable enough loss?? and wants to keep me on them for another 5 weeks so I said ok as if I was losing that on my own and I'm still losing that now, I'm not losing out am I? She said I should try to up my exercise but it is difficult for me.

I ride my horse 6 times a week (she has one day off) and my body is very used to this so on top of grooming and walking to the field and back, I need to try to fit in extra exercise. SO, for the last 2 weeks I've done a 1 hour walk 3 nights a week and I weighed today and I've lost 2 pounds since Monday so I think the exercise has finally kicked in?

I'll keep to it for another 5 weeks as she said, and I'm going to keep up the walking as I think it may have boosted it all to work.

My doc says that if I haven't lost more than a 1 pound a week, by the time I see her again in 5 weeks, she'll put me on Reductil.

Let me know what you think..

Hippo, let me know what your doc says tomorrow. smile

• Posted

Hi Lelly,

Are you not allowed Reductil because of other meds you are on?

:?:

• Posted

Miami,

apparently it is not ideal if you are on SSRIs but I am going to ask.

Lelly xx

• Posted

Well, been keeping a food diary for a few days and it made slightly intersting reading.

1) I don't cheat. I don't snack (except on fruit)

2) Fruit is remarkably high in calories

3) I get around 10g of fat per day. Yes, before you all start posting, I know this isn't enough but if I have any more I either put weight on or my Gallstones make me pay for it so right now I'd rather stay low fat!

So, based on this I should be losing weight but I AM NOT.

Any less and I may as well superglue my mouth shut!

Lelly xx

• Posted

Hi Lelly

I had problems with gallstones and I know the pain they cause. And I also put weight on with the low fat diet so I know where you are coming from.

From what I read (and no i'm not shouting) you won't loose weight because your fat intake is too low.

I was going to say blow the diet until after surgery but am I right that you can't have surgery until you have lost some weight?

could you increase your fat intake by spreading it out over the day and having tiny bits? Things like an olive as a snack or slice up an avocado and have a slice every two hours or so? Pre sliced edam is 80 calories and 6g of fat. One slice cut up into say 12 slivers and snacked on throughout the day combined with a piece of fruit so your body doesn't think ha fat - gallbladder do your worst\".

Please if you can't do tis don't be offended. I know how painful it is. When my gallbladder decided to have its hissy fit I thought I was going to die. I was admitted to hospital by ambulance. I spent the next week with a drip in my arm to keep me hydrated, a tube up my nose and down into my stomach to keep it empty and nothing to eat or drink - I lost no weight that week.

:?

I hope you find something that works Lelly. It must be so frustrating reading about people's success stories.

Good luck

• Posted

Sashh,

I am not offended. it is good to know I am not alone here.

Went to see doc. She agreed that I should be losing weight but nothign for 7 weeks now!!!

So I am having blood tests for thyroid etc (and checking everythign else as well) and she is referring me to a dietician.

So, one way or another I will get sorted. I HAVE to get this damned weight off. It is the only way I will get rid of the gallbladder so that is as good an incentive as any.

Re your stay in hospital, I had a GB attack that lasted 3 days. Continual vomiting, no food, little to drink. Even with the dehydration etc I still didn't lose any weight. I don't mind being hard on myself but if I am going to sit here nibbling on an \"oh so yummy\" carrot stick then I want to see some benefit (apart from good eyesight).

As you can see, I have kept my sense of humour!

Lelly xx

• Posted

Well... went to the docs today and what can I say... utterly pi$$ed off!! (excuse the language). My doctor has categorically told me that she will not even consider putting me on Reductil until I have done 12 weeks on Orlistat!! GRRRRRR!!!! According to her scales I have lost a couple of pounds but I put this down to the fact that last time I was wearing Jeans and today a linen skirt... also I have stopped the tablets in the past couple of days and have finally gone to the toilet properly!!!! I was not impressed and resisted the urge to scream in frustration at her.... sad
  • Posted

Hi Hippo..

I thought your doc may say that as mine said i would have to do at LEAST another 4 - 5 weeks (which would total 2 months) and see how it goes.

I know how annoying it is. I'm getting obsessed with weighing myself, i weighed on friday and was happy at my 2 pounds loss but then weighed on monday after walking for 4 hours over the weekend and have gained a pound! sad not very happy now. I dont understand it all really?

Let me know how you get on smile

• Posted

Hi Miami

I am just lacking any motivation now.. if I saw a loss on the scales it would spur me on but I'm now feeling like what's the point in even trying when nothing is clearly happening?! All I want to do at the moment is get myself a massive bag of malteasers and scoff the lot. Well my desire not to feel fat and minging for this summer is out the window then... :-(

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.