Orthodontics needed,I'm so depressed :(

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I'm new here and really desperate and that is why I have joined, I just don't know where to turn anymore sad

I'm 30years old and I have an overbite, I've also just been diagnosed with TMJ which is really bad some days more than others.

I'm pretty sure the misalignment of my teeth is causing it to be worse.

I've been to a dentist who has quoted me £4000 for a brace, thing is I can't afford it. I've tried for loans and everything, I just don't know what to do. The pain and everything is getting me down. I also work in retail which means I have to smile a lot, but I'm too self concious to open my mouth. 

I also only work part time, as where I live it's hard to find work.

Do any colleges or anything ever let trainees practice on you for free or anything? 

Thank you. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Shabbychic, Is it because you grind your teeth that you have TMJ? I clench and that can cause horrible pain in the jaw. I have been wearing a mouth guard for about 3 years and it works great for me.
    • Posted

Hi sinusprob, thank you for replying.

I clench too. I've had a night guard but for me it made it worse, it was good at first but then it made me more likely to clench because of it being a foreign object in my mouth.

I saw a maxiofacial consultant at the hospital and she was really good, but could only suggest antidepressants that stop pain.

I've only had this problem since my teeth moved a couple of years ago, I know that if my teeth were fixed it would take off so much pressure in my mouth. Finding £4000 is only possible by winning the lottery I thibk rolleyes

• Posted

Hi,

was was the appliance you got quoted for an ALF appliance?

they truly help with TMJ

but there are other cheaper things you could try:

MYO munchie

pit cost 80 Australian dollars I think 

you'd need to ask them which one you'll need

also check Buteyko method - they teach correct tongue posture. Without it all kinds of bite and orthodontic problems can result

Overbite is sometimes called by tongue thrust (sorry if im wrong) 

an orofacial myologist would tell you if there are any issues for you there, they do exercises that can help

good luck! I'm sure something will work for you

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed product/company/website links names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hi there - I realise this is a late reply, but did you end up purchasing a Myo Munchee? I too, have terrible TMJ pain and was researching appliances. At first i thought a rigid one, but now I am thinking a soft, chewable one asI think it will be gentler on my teeth, as well as help clean them etc.

Interested in hearing if you had any success.

cheers

• Posted

when I first got mine from my dentist i also continued to clench and had incredible jaw pain. i took the guard (splint) which is for upper teeth only and cut it so that it only covered the front six teeth. filed it with a crystal nail file and found that when my bottom teeth touched the splint it felt wierd and automatically opened my mouth. it took about two weeks to get used to it and i've not clenched since and no more jaw pain. i hope you find a solution soon.
    • Posted

Hi Sinus sorry for the late reply. 

Oh I have a mouth guard but it doesn't seem to help me at all sad It made my case slightly worse, as I started to chew on it like gum in my sleep. 

I'm glad you're finding yours works though smile

• Posted

Hi

i wrote you  a reply with actual tips 4 days ago but it is still getting moderated as it contained web addresses

hope it won't be long

best wishes!

• Posted

Hi Babs, thank you for replying smile Oh I wondered what the moderated message meant smile I can't wait to see the reply when it is been accepted by the mods smile

Thanks so much smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.