Osteoporosis and fear changing life

Posted , 7 users are following.

i am 56 and was diagnosed with osteoporosis several months ago. I have been on vietamins and one injection of prolia.

one year ago i was diagnosed with a frozen shoulder which has been very painful but is finally getting better.

i am terrified of what osteoporosis will do to me.

those of you who have been dealing with it for a long time, how has it changed your life?

how long does it take to recover from fractures?

how long were you in hospital?

how much assistance did you require?   I live alone and have no family.

finally and most importantly,

i had to have my little dog put to sleep a year ago.  I miss him so much and would love to have another smalldog.  But i am afraid that this disease will prevent me from being a good pet owner.

please any feedback would be greatly appreciated 

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

How bad is your osteoporosis Redwind? Do you know the tscore?

Mine is an average of -3.4 and at the base of the spine -4.3 so that is fairly bad. However, I refuse to have prolia or any other drug as I do not trust them.

The vitamins are a good idea and cannot hurt!

Have you had any broken bones?

I have also had X-rays and ct scans which showed mild scoliosis and arthritis as well as two problem discs and narrowing down the middle of the spine.

The osteoporosis is not usually painful. I do have pain from the other conditions though.

Whereabouts are you? I am in Australia. I am 70 and 71 at Xmas.

• Posted

Hi. Firstly, I am so sorry to hear about your dog. I too am a dog lover and I can understand the companionship a dog brings to our home. I would strongly advise you to get another one. Walking is one of the best exercises you can do and, with a dog, you need to get out, no matter what the weather. I have had 2 spinal fractures, thanks to osteoporosis, and they were painfull. But with a good physio and determination, I am doing ok. Dont let it take over your life. I am 61 in December and still do everything I did before. I suppose I am just more aware if I lift something heavy and I also ask for help, for example, in a plane, to put my luggage up. You will be a great pet owner, with or without osteoperosis. Dogs dont judge us on our apperance or our disabilities. They just need to be loved. Same as the rest of us. Go look. He/she will let you know if he/she is the right one for you. Good luck.
  • Posted

Everyone's experience of osteoporosis seems to be different, and to make things worse it doesn't seem possible for the medics to tell you how the disease might progress in any individual. I know just how you feel, being diagnosed with what we're told is a potentially dangerous and disabling conditiion and then left to get on with life with no support! I am 70, I was diagnosed 5 years ago when I fell heavily and broke my wrist. No other symptoms. I had a DEXA scan (-3.5 on spine) and take medication (I don't trust the usual ones, alendronic acid etc and take something called strontium ranelate). To be honest, the only difference it has made is that I walk much more slowly, looking for trip hazards! I don't want another broken wrist. Otherwise life is the same. I walk a lot. I do pilates, though I would like some advice about whether it's good or risky for the vertebrae (no advice out there, it seems).

Finally and most importantly! – I am so sorry about your dog. Please, please do get another companion. Walking is so good for us and pets do "take you out of yourself" as my mother would have said. You could get a little rescue dog? Then you'll be doing both of you a favour!

• Posted

Sue, I have read that certain varieties of pilates are actually recommended for osteoporosis.  Tai Chi is also highly recommended.  It no only helps improve balance but has been shown to improve bone density as well!
  • Posted

Redwind, you have so many changes in your life, that alone is difficult.  It's good that you have come onto this site.  I have found the people here to be so supportive.  I started with polymyalgia rheumatica for which the treatment is prednisone, a drug that actively interferes with calcium absorption.  I was probably osteopenic, but who knows - no one ever suggested I should have a baseline scan (I am now 68) even after I had a broken leg (tibial plateau actually no big deal  confused ) in 2014.  But now I have been diagnosed with osteoporosis.  I was shattered, not to say crushed (puns intended) by that news.  But I have picked myself up.  LIke others here I am very wary of the medications, the side effects may not afflict everyone but some of them are pretty dire.  I have instead opted for the natural method, much to my GP's skepticism.  I am determined to prove her wrong!  I have been taking my supplements - please note that Vitamin K2 is very important and hard to get in our modern diet - plus various kinds of exercise.  Walking is the single best thing you can do to help with this condition.  I, too, think you should get a new pet.  A rescue dog would be a great possibility.  And the dog would help you by making you take several little walks every day in the fresh air!  

it is not inevitable that you will get fractures.  My broken leg was caused by it being twisted severely when I slipped on ice, I never actually fell.  I was told that it was better that the bone broke than that I suffered even more soft tissue damage than I did; the bone healed quickly and well, and did not need surgery).  The lifestyle changes - really, just paying attention to my posture (a physiotherapist has given me exercises to minimize the "dowager's hump" or kyphosis) doing weight bearing exercises like walking, and being very careful about my diet and supplements.  Calcium from green vegetables, for example, is more readily available to the body than the calcium in dairy products, so don't listen to those who tell you to up your dairy intake.  Eat broccoli and kale, etc, instead.  I could go on, but you get the picture.  There is a lot you can do to help yourself rebuild bone!

• Posted

Dear Redwind,  first of all, I'm very sorry to hear about your dog.  Being a great dog-lover and having had several dogs myself over the years, I know exactly what you must be feeling.  Re the osteoporosis: I am 60, have scoliosis and have osteopenia.  Because I also had chemotherapy and Graves disease with medication promoting osteoporosis, I opted to take the 'chemical' medication, as well as calcium.  I am on Prolia and have had no side effects.  I don't like taking it, but.  I have also started doing some pilates exercises.  My mother has severe osteoporosis, but it was only diagnosed when she was in her early 80's.  I would strongly advise you to get another dog, perhaps an older (ie 6-7 year-old) rescue dog?  I have 2 rescues myself and take them for a 2 mile walk nearly every day and their company is wonderful to have.   A dog would take your mind off things and would give you the exercise you need.  I wish you well,  Stefania
  • Posted

Hi there Redwind,  

First of alll, you need some perspective here. You have been diagnosed with OP (with a scan?) and are now on meds. plus vitamins and calcium  to protect your bones and to significantly reduce the risk of any fractures. Now, no one likes to be diagnosed with ANY illness but, as ilnesses go, it could be a lot worse. You can live a normal life but should just be a little more careful of things like heavy lifting, doing movements which involve bending forwards (like touching your toes), and especially try to avoid slips and falls. Not too hard eh?  A wise woman should probably do this anyway. 

OP is a hugely common condition - it is estimated that 50% of woman over 50 will have a fracture due to undiagnosed OP. The first manifestation of it is usually a fracture and then a shrewd GP may suggest a bone scan which shows up OP. There are a variety of medication used to treat it and your doctor has selected one for you. If this doesn't suit you there are others. Aslo as others have said, you need to exercise as well as your Calcium and VitD.  The best exercises are weight-bearing ones (walking, stair-climbing, dancing). Swimming and cycling, though great exercises, will not help your bones. Now, if you never had OP, you should be doing some form of regular exercise anyway, so my tip would be - find something you enjoy and do it regularly but not obsessively!  By the way, athletes can get OP, dancers, those with dietary conditions,  children and those who may be taking various medications for cother conditions - all ages. it's not just older adults. 

Re. your little dog. I'm so sorry to hear about loosiing him. This forum must be full of dog lovers, judging by the post you've already got about them. The advice you got here is great - GET ANOTHER DOG (when you're ready) I've had small dogs for decades (Yorkies) and couldn't imagine living without them. One of my little treasures had to be put to sleep last Feb. and I'm still not over it. Only another dog lover understands this. Others think that it's" just a dog", but it's not. It's a little being who has shared your life and who has given you so much love and companionship. And it's heartbreaking when whey go. But there is NO REASON WHATSOEVER why you shouldn't get another. You would be a huge bonus for the dog. And he'd be part of the 'new you' who is getting her act together and starting out on a healthier life - with Rover's help!!  A suggestion here, however, I wouldn't go for a huge thing who needs 10-mile walks each day, who eats like a horse and who might run away with you!! 

Final piece of advice, I don't know where you live but if you have an OP society, check in with them, they would have loads of helpful information. Ask them if they could suggest someone your age who you could call if you needed.It could be a great comfort.  They may also have a helpline, staffed by an OP nurse who will answer any of your questions - even the most daft ones - the've heard it all!!  

You'll also get support from this forum. So keep in touch. 

Very kind thoughts. Do take care of yourself - you're so worth it. 

J x

• Posted

Hi Redwind Hope you are ok and some of our replys have helped you a little. Keep in touch and we all want to know when your new member of the family arrives. Woof woof.!!!!! We all feel down, from time to time, but on this site, several of us, have the same feelings and same fears as yourself. We are here to help. Let us know how you are doing. Best wishes Alison
  • Posted

I truly appreciate all of the very kind responses.  Your concern and kindness was overwhelming.  I feel very comforted.  A few years ago my husband passed away at the age of 56 with lung cancer.  We received the diagnosis and one month later I was having his Memorial Service.  Our little yorkie was very special to both of us.  He sat with my husband during the worse of times.  Having no family my little guy got me through the worse time of my life.  So, yes I do miss my little friend very much.

After posting on this site I discussed the situation with my PT.  She also feels that I have alot of love to give and should not hesitate getting a new pet.  So, when I feel emotionaly ready to give myself to another one, I pray that I will find a very specail little yorkie....or, the yorkie will find me.

Thank You so much for you concern.

God Bless Each of you!

• Posted

So glad you got back to us.  I hope that every day will bring you more healing.  Love,  Jean
    • Posted

Really good to hear from you and pleased you have decided to look for a new dog. Being a dog lover, I understand how it feels when they are gone, but the pleasure they bring into our lives, and the happy memories they leave, are boundless. When the time is right, you will know. The walks will help your moral as well as your bone strength and the joy you receive will get you through the difficuilt times. I wish you lots of happiness and contentment when you find your new friend. XX
    • Posted

Hi Redwind, was so delighted to hear from you as you came into my mind regularly over the past week and I also wondered how you were doing. .  Re. a new pet - It's good that your PT agreed with the wisdom of the rest of us and gave you the 'go ahead' WHEN you're ready. And don't worry about finding a very Special One as any Yorkie will respond to the love and kindness you'll give it and then become the most devoted and interesting little character - different from your other little treasure but also wonderful and irreplaceable . . . .  Please keep in touch.  Kind thoughts, J
  • Posted

Hi Redwind30,

I am 57 years old and have osteoporsis, which I have been told is too young to have it as severe as I do at this age. I also have high blood calcium, a high parathyroid hormone level (PTH) and low vitamin D. After a lot of research, it has been discovered that I have a somewhat rare non cancerous tumor on at least one of my parathyroid glands. Osteorporsis is a complication of this but is reversable once the tumor(s) are removed. If I were you, and you have no other medical reason for having osteoporsis, then I would have those 3 blood tests done to determine if you possibly might have what I do. I am traveling to Tampa FL to have the surgery, Feb 1st, as these doctors do this and only this surgery 60 to 70 times per week, and they have perfected the proceedure (it takes about 20 minutes under local) without butchering your neck and damaging your vocal cords. I hope this helps and good luck. (The disease is called hyperparathyroidism.)

• Posted

Hi Redwind, It was good see a comment from SuzinUSA as it reminded me about you. How are you doing? I really hope things have improved for you and that you've settled down a little. So many of us were a bit worried about you and I'm sure sure that they would all love you to get in contact.  . . 

Either way, I know this brings you wishes from all of us for a great New Year.!

Kind thoughts, J

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.