Osteoporosis and medicines

Posted , 8 users are following.

Anyone like to comment on how they are going with their osteoporosis and what medicine they are taking?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

I srarted with at T-2. In my fifth week of Alendronic Acid weekly pill and twice daily 2 calcium and vit D. Too early to have any re-test.

side effects in first two weeks slight runny tummy and sore thighs on Thursdays (AA pill Sunday morning) and one heartburn in week three. Currectly no side effects.

• Posted

Another side effect which persists. I no longer taste/ smell. Light aromatic flavours such as orange.
    • Posted

What is your t score? That is awful about your sense of taste and smell. I have delayed starting fosamax as still anxious about it.
  • Posted

Hi

I am 37 years old and have osteoporosis and  a thyroid condition. I have been on vitamin D for a year and not had any problems. I started Alendronic Acid 70mg weekly 6months ago. I cant really say I feel any better for it and think I have gained weight witth it. Has anyone else found this?

• Posted

How did you know you have osteoporosis. I did not have the bone density test until 70 as it is free then. My t score is -3,4. I have yet to begin fosamax as I am worried about swallowing it. I will probably have it compounded into a liquid to be on the safe side. What is your t score?
  • Posted

Hi

It was an incidental finding. I had a DEXA scan last year as part of investigations into a primary hyperparathyroidism condition I have. The results I have say a T-score of -2.5 in the spine and-1.9 in the femur. I have to say I am  not familiar with the scores and rely on my consultant to treat accordingly.

• Posted

Hello Kathleen, George and Donna,  re the t scores: if your t score is below -2.5 you have osteopenis, the precursor of osteoporosis.  Anything beyond -2.5 is osteoporosis.  I had my DEXA scan when my mother was diagnosed with osteoporosis, as apparently it can be hereditary.  I have osteopenia and have been on treatment for 10 years.  Fist Actonel, them Protelos and now Prolia.  I must say that I tolerated most well, except Protelos, which seemed to give me headaches and I was taken off that because of stroke risk!  But then all medication has some sort of side effects which can be more notieable in some people.  My mother is now severely disabled after vertebral compression fractures and this certainly motivated me to continue with the treatment!  She was also on medication: Fosamax, Forsteo and Eclasta.  Somehow though, it didn't seem to work with her.  It is also very important to know your vitamin D levels and to know if you're gluten sensitive,  Another thing that is bad for the bones: COFFEE!  It leaches calcium out of the bones, which is why we only drink it once a week now, on Sundays, which actually makes us appreciate it much more now too.  I try to cook us food that is calcium-rich.  By the way, I've also read that carrying a little bit of weight is better than being skinny as the weight-bearing promotes bone formation.  Good luck to you all!
  • Posted

Hi Kathleen, Brief summary: Forsteo for one year. Side- effect was tiredness (but was also on Pred.). Then  Actonel for 6 months so far (once weekly). No side effects. Due for a repeat DEXA scan in July so hoping for an improvement, or at least no deterioration. No fractures. Take care - and relax !  J
  • Posted

I am 65 and commenced Alendronate and vitamin D in June 2014 after sustaining low impact fracture of the wrist in December 2013.  Within a couple of weeks suffered significant musculoskeletal pain in feet, ankles and knees. Improved quickly when Alendronate was discontinued. Started Risedronate and tolerating this well.  However six months or so in, finger nails dry and splitting when previously always been healthy and strong.  Presume this is due to reabsorption of calcium into bones.
    • Posted

Hi, did you have a scan before starting the meds.  or did your doc. just make the decision,? And did you take the generic meds. or the branded ones?
    • Posted

Hi, If at all possible I would try to take a branded Fosamax or Actonel instead of a generic substitute (eg. Actavis AA). They are prescribed ONLY because they are cheaper but research shows that they do not work as well and cause significantly more side-effects.Our Osteoporosis Society (Ireland) advises against their use. They report that clinical trials on bone density, effect on fractures and side-effects are not performed on generic meds. (Actonel, Fosamax). As a result they are not of the same quality as the branded drugs and do not have the same effectiveness. It seems that, while the active ingredient in a generic are the same as the branded drug, the inactive ones may vary. They report that one Canadian study (2009) reviewed these issues: they found that people taking Fosamax improved their bone density twice as much as those taking generic alendronate. They also found increased reporting of side-effects (stomach pain, heartburn, ulcers gastritis etc.) usiing a generic vs the branded Fosamax and Actonel. Unsurprisingly then, their study found that 68% of patients given alendronate stayed on their meds. while 84% of those on Fosamax and 94% of those on Actonel complied with theirs. . . .  

Worth thinking about.

( Ringe J. Differences in persistence, safety and efficacy of generic and branded bisphosphonates . .    Rheumatol Int  2009 ).

• Posted

Hello Kathleen I have been taking Fosamax 75 once weekly for 5 months with no side effects However when I collected my last

prescription it has been changed to Actavis alendronic acid I don't know why I haven't started them yet so cannot comment on these yet I also take calceos twice daily when I remember No side

effects from these either

• Posted

The calceos I have been prescribed is included in the Fosamax which is apparently the original drug. There are several generic brands which luckily I have not been prescribed. It is good you have not had any side effects. So many seem to have some bad side effects. 
  • Posted

Generic drugs only have to be 85% the same as the branded drug.  So who knows what;s in the remaining 15%?
    • Posted

Hi stefania3, You may be on to something there !  Recent studies show differences in the make-up of the tablets may explain the adverse events caused by generic drugs. According to the IOS," branded drugs, such as Fosamax and Actonel, disintegrate much quicker than generic drugs. They then enter the stomach faster, meaning they are more effective. Taking a longer time to get to the stomach can cause complications which is why people suffer greater side-effects ".  I don't know. It sounds reasonable. Worth thinking about anyway . . .  ( Ask me if you want the name of the published papers/authors). Best wishes, J.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.