Osteoporosis and theme parks

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

I was unsure where to post this, so sorry if this is the wrong place!

I was diagnosed with osteoporosis at the beginning of the year after many years of anorexia. As I am only 21 this has been hard not to let this diagnosis hinder my life and especially my social life, as we have been planning a trip to Thorpe Park for a friends birthday. My GP has been unhelpful with this and when speaking to a customer service advisor for Thorpe Park they were also unable to advise, the most I got from them was to go at my own discretion. Obviously some of the rides will have a high impact and need for you to brace yourselves (I have very little muscle and am very slim), so my question is what you would advise, as in whether there would be too much of a chance of a negative impact? I also have some muscle damage to my lower back (originally thought this was a fracture due to pain, so not always a bad thing!) but will this also hinder things?

I am quite anxious about the whole thing and the last thing I want is to ruin their trip in case I do have a break, I also understand I may be taking this completely out of proportion, let's hope this is the case..

Thank you for your help!

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi amy_may

I'm sorry I'm not much help

I just wanted to say that I was diagonsed wioth osteoporosis this month. Been suspected for a while......I also have arthritis and spinal problems

We went to a large fair and I didnt go on anything for the very resons you mention.  I was scared that something might break.  I'm older than you and not very slim......not particularly fat ..but!!

So all I can say is I sympathise with you. If you find out any answers let me know please  LOL

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi Amy,

I am much older than you-53-but I have been told I have some bone loss due to age & my petite frame. I suggest you be very careful & avoid high impact rides that may toss you around too much. I also suggest you take calcium supplements on an ongoing basis. I take 1000 mg a day of liquid calcium. It's pleasant strawberry flavor so isn't bad at all. I'm in the US & know healthcare differs from the UK but I would find a doc that takes your problem more seriously because you are so young to have such a serious condition. There are also many prescription drugs your doc can prescribe for you that will slow down further bone loss. I have also learned a lot online researching the subject.

Good luck & take care!!

• Posted

Thankyou!

I take 1500mg calcium (unfortunately this is a lemony chalk chewable tablet) and 800mg vitamin d and had a physiotherapist and dietician through the NHS for a few months and have taken up pilates to strengthen core muscles. Thankyou for your help and advise, think I'll steer clear of the big ones and hold the bags haha.

• Posted

Hey Amy,  get a grip on yourself!  Time you started to listen to your body.  If you think these thrill seeking things are good for you  - go ahead.  But boy, isn't life itself throwing enough adventures your way!  Sit on a bench and have an icecream instead and enjoy yourself.  You don't always have to go with the crowd - you will feel much better for it.  You never know, one of the others might join you on the bench.
  • Posted

If the rides have high impact, I wouldn't take the risk.  Can't you go to the park and just pick and choose rides that won't hurt your bones?  How bad is your osteoporoisis?  Do you have your DXA scan T scores?
    • Posted

I know your post was to amy but it made me think....when I had my DEXA scan it came back that I had osteoporosis and that was all.

Hard to say where it was and how bad it was {thats a lot if helpeek}

I've got Osteoarthritis and kyphoscolios {back} and they say its because of that that it is not clear......any suggestions?

Love

Eileen

• Posted

I know that the DXA Scan scans  areas of the spine, hip and arm and then gives a T score.  The T score is what they use to determine if you have osteoporosis.  I asked for a copy of my scores.  I then compared my sores to the World Health Organization standards. Get a copy of your scores and then you will know. 
    • Posted

Hi

When my GP gave me the results she said she hadnt any T scoreseek

I will try asking her again and see what happens

Love

Eileen

• Posted

I am 24 and was diagnosed with osteoporosis last year for the same reason. RE the theme park question, perhaps just go on the lower impact stuff? - use your own judgement, you will have a good idea of what your body can handle. For what it's worth, in my experience an injury has to be quite focused to a specific area/bone to cause damage (jogging on my toes fractured a bone in my foot) which is maybe less likely to happen on a ride? (Just a thought - I am not a doctor and would still advise steering clear, but I totally understand wanting to take part and feeling like a stupid cripple amid your fit friends -(you're not by the way)).

To the person who said 'get a grip' I know you're trying to be kind (I used to say this to myself all the time, sometimes I still do), but sadly it isn't that simple, and the patient will just feel worse when they fail to do so. If it has got to the point where bones are wasting clearly the patient can't just snap out of it, or they would have done so! The reasons behind eating disorders are always complicated - while anorexia is obviously hugely detrimental and disabilitating it usually (maybe always) develops as a way to cope with various life problems, and so you can't just suddenly 'start eating normally' without unleashing psychological hell on the sufferer- this is generally worse for them than continuing as is, and can have disastrous consequences in their personal lives - relationships, work, etc. It's about small manageable steps. Even if its something tiny you change that no one else would even consider - that's progress. amy_may I hope you have people supporting you to do this and get where you want to be. Much love x

• Posted

I would not do the high impact rides if I were you. Maybe go but take care of yourself.

I am so sorry you have this so young.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.