Osteoporosis at 33

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello

I was diagnosed with coeliac disease in August and I was sent for a Dexa bone scan. The results showed osteoporosis in spine -2.7 t score. I'm waiting for a referral to a rheumatologist.

When I was diagnosed my gp checked all of my vitamins and vitamin d and calcium were well within the normal range. I don't understand how I can have this if the vitamin stores in my body are fine. Can anyone help please?

Lauren

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

So sorry Lauren, that is so young! 

Perhaps take Vitamin K2 to put the calcium onto the bones for a start.

There are some other vitamins that will help as well. These include Magnesium which will also help in other ways. 

Foods that are good are prunes, avocados, skin of cucumber, leafy Greens, yoghurt and cheese.

My daughter is also dairy free as well as celiac and she takes a lot of vitamins and minerals.

I am guessing you are active anyway as weight bearing is helpful too.

You can do this and maybe even reverse that tscore.

• Posted

Hi I'm the same as u just been diagnosed with osteoporosis, I'm obviously older but its a wake up call at any age, when you go to see the rheumatologists take a list of questions, and write down things they say so you can refresh your memory after.

They can help the body get them bones stronger especially if its not caused by age which yours obviously isn't, also I have RA I think that might be the cause of mine.

Keep us posted, take care

• Posted

Hi lauren

So sorry for your diagnosis, there is a link between coeliac disease and osteoporosis.  I am going to put a link below for you. but it will likely have to be approved first by patient uk admin so I will post the link separately.

Also blood levels for calcium and vit D can appear ok even when absorption is the problem.  Any digestive disorder where absorption of nutrients is a problem can lead to OP

Its good you have been referred to a rheumatologist who will carry out more tests and check your vitamin D and calcium levels again, these levels can change over a period of months of course and since we are going into winter time here in UK I would say it would be important for you to look at your diet and supplement with vitamin D3 1000 IU won't hurt and you can up that dose later if need be, but first check with the Rheumatologist.

Do contact NOS helpline for further advice, https://nos.org.uk/

Best wishes V

• Posted

Thanks everyone. I'm taking an osteo care supplement which provides vit d, calcium and magnesium. My latest test results show that I'm doing really well on the gluten free diet and my ttg has gone down from 43 to 13 in 3.5 months. It's just such a shock as my test results for coeliac weren't 'severe' compared to others.

I eat really healthily and run on a regular basis so it doesn't make sense. And I still have crippling fatigue which is why I went to the doctors in the first place and I haven't noticed any difference being on the gluten free diet. I guess I'll have to wait to see the rheumatologist and ask them if anything else could have caused this.

Best wishes

Lauren

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.