Otezla

Posted , 10 users are following.

Good afternoon everyone.  

I was diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis about 3 years ago.  I had suffered symptoms for 2 years before my diagnosis.  

We have had a difficult time finding a medication that 1) will not cause my liver enzymes to explode on low loses and 2) work well for me.  Consequently my doctor has prescribed Otezla for me.  I have researched it to death and the side effects are what concern me.  

Are any of you on it?  I do know it is a very new drug.  If you are on it, what have you experienced and what kind of relief have you gotten from it? 

Thank you for your time. 

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi I haven't  any information on this drug - my consultants , Dematology and Rhuematology want to change me from Mehtotrexate ( 20 years+) and mix maybe two bio's. I am not too sure about this and would try a new drug but not mixing and I have injected for 8 years and I don't want tot do that any more!!!! I am takeing oral methotrexate now and feel ok a out that........would you have any further information 
  • Posted

On Otezla please - sorry the e mail went  before I could finish it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,thank you for your help 
  • Posted

Hi. I have been on Otezla for 5 weeks now. Yes I had some of the side effects to begin with but they were nothing I couldnt live with. But remember everyone is different. I had some banging headaches, nausea and diarrhoea but they have all got less and less. I must say that I havent seen much improvement in my psoriasis but from what ive heard it can take at least 4 months to get any benefit. So keeping my fingers crossed as up until now nothing has worked for me in the last 15 years. That's about all I can tell you of my experience with Otezla this far. :-)
  • Posted

I've just started on otezla. Day 4 today. Have had shocking nausea and diarrhoea the last 24 hours. Resorted to ginger oat biscuits today. Keeping a log so I can report the dose effects.

• Posted

Hi lucynewas

Are you still on otezla? Have your symptoms subsided? If your still using it how is it working?

Grace

• Posted

I've now been on it for 3 months. I have to eat before taking it or I'm very nauseous. Otherwise much better than sulphasalazines. No afternoon fatigue and my skin in generally better although I still have broken skin on the soles of my feet.

• Posted

Hi, I've just been diagnosed and the first thing we tried was otezla. I did not want to take a biologic or have to worry about blood tests, so my derm is fighting hard to get approval from insurance. In the meantime, I have been on sample packs for 2 months. The first two weeks, I had diarrhea pretty bad and heartburn all day. The diarrhea subsided and I started Prilosec daily and I have no more side effects. My psoriasis has improved, but my achiness waxes and wanes still. My derm said I have to give it 3-4 months.

• Posted

I have been on otezla or should say off and on for 3 months now! I keep stopping due to very bad headaches!
    • Posted

I've heard of that being a major symptom. I got lucky. Is the otezla still effective if you stop and start?

• Posted

The headaches slowly go away after about 3 to 4 days and about 1 week later the arthritis srarts to return! I am goin to talk to the doctor to try and stay on half dose, i seem to do ok with that but she keeps telling me to go full dosage. I don't think I will ever do that again. 

• Posted

Hi, I am 55 years old and have just started otezla, just finished starter pack. I was wondering if anyone has had chest pain, high blood pressure and heart rate?  Not sure if this is from the otezla or because I was just recently hospitalized for sepsis and still have a very high white blood cell count. (They are trying to figure out why?  Have appt with pcp next week.). It usually have this is the morning and it does subside after awhile. I also have had nauseous and have lost 12 lbs since I have started otezla. (Don't mind the weight loss to be honest, lol).   The nausea has seem to be a little better then when I first started.  Tks for any info!!

• Posted

I started Apremilast (Otezla) 2 weeks ago.

At first, the side effects were bad - diarrhoea, cramping pains and lots of gas, plus headaches. But they've gone now. I'm still a bit "loose" but I can manage just fine.

It's already easing my symptoms so I'm glad I stuck with it.

I'm not sure if this reply is too late, but I found your post by searching on Google for info about the drug, so I assume others will end up here too, and my experience might help them even if it's too late for you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.