Otitis Externa and neck/face pain and numbness (scared!)

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi!

Does anybody know if Otitis Externa can be the cause of neck and face numbness / tightening? In other words, can it affect the nerves in the face? I'm quite scared.

I was diagnosed 2 days ago with Otitis Externa and I was prescribed Amoxicilin antibiotics (500mg every 8 hours for 7 days). I was also told to take 1gram of paracetamol every 8 hours.

Aside from some ear discomfort and various aches around my head, I hadn't been feeling too bad. But a few hours ago, I started to experience pain/tightening at the back of my neck, and then a similar numbness sensation predominantly on the left side of my face in different places. It seemed to come on quite quickly, and includes a tightening feeling on the side of my face, a little on the top of my head, and now I seem to have a constant tight feeling on the medium left part of my neck. I still have a slight discomfort in my ears, but I really don't know if this is all related... I hope it is but I'm wondering if anyone has ever experienced anything similar as a result of Otitis Externa?

I doubt it is a reaction to the antibiotic because I have used it various times in the past without problems. If anyone could suggest anything, please let me know.

Thanks.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have had Otitis externa for over a year.  I'm only now starting to deal with it.  It certainly does cause a numbness around the ear and over part of the face, and I think this is related to the swelling of the ear canal.  I'm hoping to get onto antibiotics soon.
    • Posted

I have had exactly what albo describes for the last 8 weeks! Did you get any antibiotics? If so did they sort your problems?

Thanks

• Posted

Partly.  It hasn't been as bad, but it hasn't gone away. One thing has helped though.  He suggested that I might be allergic to my shampoo, and I've changed it - with some reduction of the problem.  I'm going to buy a hypoallergenic shampoo, and try that.

I also find that my ears itch most after using headphones, and I'm looking to reduce my use of anything covering my ears.

• Posted

Hello

I have had exactly what you describe for the last 8 weeks & the Dr won't give me antibiotics because he says it's viral! Did the antibiotics sort yours out?

• Posted

Hi, I had a mild earache 5 days ago which started to get worse, i went to the doctor after my ear went deaf, he said i had a sin infection outside the eardrum calling it Otitis Externa, i am on Antibiotics and a antibiotic medical spray for in the ear, im on day 5 now but the pain is getting worse down my neck, jaw, teeth and the top of my head and eye, i have been using a hot waterbottle to help ease the ache, but on the inside of my ear is very dry and exremely sore, does anyone know if putting some vasoline in very small amount to ease it, would that make things worse, i am hoping to go private to a ENT and see if they can help, how much worse does this get befoe any improvement. Thanks Kerry

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.