Out of Curiosity, Who Here Has Had a Second Round of FS?

Posted , 13 users are following.

I am curious, if you have had this awful condition twice (same shoulder a second time or the opposite shoulder, what was/is your experience?

Obviously much of the medical community has no idea, so if we need to be mentally prepared for another round of this condition, maybe we can obtain the information from one another…  I am very paranoid about having FS go into my other shoulder, as I am sure all of you are.

-Do you have an underlying health condition?

-How long was it before the FS popped up in the opposite shoulder?

-Did it come back in the same shoulder twice?

-What would you do differently from the first FS?

-Anything you feel keep the FS from returning? 

Thank you  in advance for your very valuable information/sharing your experience.    

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,

​I had FS in my left shoulder in 2015, during 2015 i had 2 operations the last operation was October 2015, during physio in October my right shouder started hurting and i was told it was because i was using this arm alot more to compensate for my left......now we are in May and my right shoulder is totally frozen, i saw my consultant yesterday who had agreed to operate within the next couple of weeks, for me it went from one arm to the other within months.  I have no hstory of diabetis or any other illness, no injury or anything else.  I have no idea why i have got it but my consultant told me yesterday that the chances are pretty high to geting it in the other shoulder, i asked if it would come back in my left and he said unlikely but not impossible..........

• Posted

Hi, I have had it 3 times in the right shoulder. Read my post, 3rd Time Lucky. I had the works in terms of operations, steroid injections, physio etc. I am 7mths post op from 3rd operation. I have pain occasionally, when I have over used the arm. At night when I lay on the shoulder it seems the bones have to click in place. I feel  the popping, and hear the popping  sound but no pain. I have never had a problem with my shoulder, until I went bowling on  a team build exercise, then my problems started.  I have also been told it is normal for it to happen in the opposite shoulder, usually within two years. Oh joy!. MIne first started Oct 2012 and I would go through all the ops etc again just to get out of the sickening pain that only fellow sufferers understand. 

• Posted

My first frozen shoulder was after a fall while I was holding onto a door knob.  I eventually had surgery.  5 years later my other shoulder began to freeze.  Not sure what I did to cause that to happen.  Possibly just inflammation in the body.  After that I went to a holistic doctor and I had heavy metal poisoning - mercury and lead.  I detoxed for two years via iv drip.  I did not repeat the surgery on the second shoulder.  Rehab is awful!  I used Tramadol, and PT and once it was completely frozen I started doing massage therapy to break up the scar tissue.  I regained ROM on both sides.  But I continue to have neck and shoulder problems with muscle spasms.  My scapula doesn't operate correctly.  I was hypothyroid for first shoulder but unmedicated.  I finally got NDT from my holistic doctor during my detox.  I think there is a link to autoimmune diseases.  My surgeon believes there is a connection to carrying a diabetic gene no matter whether you have diabetes or not....there are several people with both types in my family. 
    • Posted

I really believe this condition is autoimmune too, just like type 1 diabetes (not necessarily because of it). I just wish it could finally be proven. Good luck with everything.
  • Posted

I am currently recovering from my second frozen shoulder. I had a manipulation procedure this week on my right shoulder. I had it in my left shoulder two years ago and thought I was done with this. My doctor thought it was highly unlikely that I would get it again. But obviously I did. I have no known injuries That I am aware of so I have no idea why I have had this two times. I have a condition called dysautonomia and I wonder if somehow it is related to that since my autonomic nervous system seems to malfunction in other areas too. I do not have diabetes or hypothyroidism, however I do feel that I have many of the symptoms of hypothyroidism. I have had my thyroid tested in the past and the tests always come back normal. My mother was a type two diabetic and it is something I am always concerned about, but so far my blood sugar levels remain normal . I wish we could all figure out why we are plagued with this terrible disease, it is extremely painful and life altering and unless you have had it, it is impossible to understand just how much pain and trouble it causes in your life .
  • Posted

I'm on my second round. I believe you read my original post about it though. In short, the condition is about the same as the first round, but having the experience of going through it before gives me a slight edge that I didn't have the first time.
  • Posted

I saw my doctor last week & mentioned I'm feeling twinges in my second (opposite) shoulder/arm. That's how my first FS started spring 2015 - a wee stumble on the treadmill & then insignificant little twinges & pains when reaching for something or putting something on a high shelf.  He said he would try to halt it with cortisone if I started losing ROM. I start physio again this week (the gentle kind ONLY). I had no idea FS even existed the first time around; that is not going to happen this time! I printed off the study I mentioned on another post & highlighted the parts I want my physio to note smile Feeling MUCH more informed this time around in case it happens! Underlying hypothyroid - well controlled with only teensy dose. Normal weight. Standard allergies. 51 female puts me in the demographic zone.

Couldn't imagine doing FS without this forum - thanks to all who feel up to contributing to the discussions. 

Liane 

• Posted

Hi Jen,

I am on my second frozen should.  I do not have any underlying conditions such as diabetes.  The first time was when I was 50 in 2010 on my left side.  I had some discomfort and lost range of motion and my Doctor me an injection, a while later I had a 2nd injection and then he sent me to an orthopedist who diagnosed me with FS.  I was totally frozen by then.  I saw a physicial therapist, but the treatment did nothing.  The whole thing resolved in about a year.  I have full range of motion as if nothing had happend.  I did not have much pain with the first go round.

It is now 6 years later and I am 56 and I have it again in my right shoulder.  I have had a lot more pain this time.  I have used Ice & Tylenol for pain managment which helped me be a bit more comfortable.  I was diagnosed with tendonitis, which I may or may not have had, I can not be sure.  I had a cortisone shot for the tendonitis which did not seem to help.  I went to the orthopedist and he sent me to physical therapy.  The therapist told me I had frozen shoulder.  The PT did help me and I went about a month.  It was very painful, but is my range of motion did improve a little and the over pain did decrease a bit.  I stopped after 4 weeks, I feet I got what I was going to get out of it.  The therapist wanted me to coninue, but it hurt too much.  She gave me excersices to do at home, but I have not done them due to the pain.  My pain has been decreasing.  I expect the whole thing will be over in about 9 to 12 months.

Bottom line,  Ice & tylenol helped with the pain management (I cannot take NSAID's).  Heat felt nice but it did not seem to do anything.   I don't know if the shot helped or not, but I did have it.  I did not try the TENs.  I don't think there is anything I could have done to prevent it.  I was execizing the whole time so in my case I don't think it was from lack of movement.  I think I am the typical menopausal frozen shoulder lady.

Good luck to you and everyone on the forum.  This forum has shown me that I could be a lot worse off.

Colette

• Posted

Hi, 

Like Seafoam, I had my first case of frozen shoulder 5 years ago at 50, I had regular massages, physio and cortisone shots none of which seemed to help. It went away after about 18 months and on advice from my doctor I started doing weekly weight sessions and stretching to prevent a reoccurrence. Unfortunately this hasn't worked as about a month ago I started to get a niggling pain in my right shoulder and now I have full blown frozen shoulder again on the same side as last time. The pain seems to be worse this time, especially at night which makes it very difficult to sleep. I have had thyroid problems in the past and I do have a skin condition which is related to an autoimmune problem, not sure if there is any connection. I am really hoping that it doesn't go on for too long as I work with preschoolers and it is very difficult when you only have one good arm.

• Posted

I believe it is definitely connected to hormonal changes. Many people who have had FS seem to either be diagnosed as hypothyroid or they are symptomatic and don't have a diagnosis yet. Most are women who are periomenopausal or in menopause. I was told if I have one autoimmune disease, I will have others down the road. How much more autoimmune can you get when your own joint is attacking itself with inflammation!  So sorry for your pain 
  • Posted

I have fs in my left shoulder after injury 8 months ago and I think Im now getting it in my right
  • Posted

Hi everyone who had FZ shoulder twice. Is it possible that FS come back after the first surgery? My arm still can't lift overhead due to either FS or something else. I don't know what to do?
  • Posted

I have absolutely no doubt it's hormonal AND autoimmune. Going through it a second time is no fun, but I am handling it better the second time knowing exactly what to expect. There is know way I would try anything invasive to speed up the healing time now that I know it can be beat simply by waiting it out. My left shoulder has never felt better, and I expect nothing less for my right... just a matter of time, even though I'm also dealing with the type 1 diabetes. Soon, we will all be free from this nasty condition.
  • Posted

Hi Jen! I just went to see different ortho Doctor that know about elbow issues. I have small tendon inflammation called tennis elbow. He wants me go PT along with shoulder same time. My shoulder ROM is still the same. I still can't get my arm overhead. What you think? Suggestion?
    • Posted

I don't have any more ROM either. Geez, how do you feel about PT?

Still having some pain like I am off and on?

Oh Tennis elbow? Casued by Fs?

• Posted

I don't know what causes tennis elbow. The doctor thinks it is related to shoulder issues. Hmm? PT helped me a little bit. The pain hurts a little when I touch my shoulder. Yes my ROM has not improved. I don't know what to do. I only go PT once a week. Sometimes I forget to do home exercises. ?? Wish we can text each other to communicate. I am deaf but can talk well.

• Posted

I first noticed a little pain in my elbow for about a month.Then, the frozen shoulder set in.  My orthopedic dr. said women in my age range seem to get it....51 (3 years ago).  My mother had it and so did hers.  I agree, i think it is hormonal.  It bothers me to say something like this has changed my life, but it has.  Seems like everything revolves around it and therapy which i still do some of daily.
    • Posted

Hi Jen! My ROM finally increase and no pain at all. The doctor is so happy even she said 'Yay'! I still need get more strength and continue go PT.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.