Out of it on Warfarin

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all. I'm on day 5 of 5mg warfarin having been diagnosed with atrial flutter/borderline A-fib. I don't know whether it's the warfarin or the flutter but by the end of the day I feel totally "out of it" - not exactly dizzy but just very tired and have a hard time focusing on anything. If I go to bed early I am up and wide awake anywhere from 2 to 5am. I'm just exhausted. Does anyone else have this experience with warfarin? I take other medications as well so it might be the heart condition in conjunction with all that. Just getting tired of feeling so miserable all the time sad

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Are you taking bisoprolol ? It sounds like the reaction many get from it but it could be the AF itself. I understand how you feel as I am lucky if I get four hours broken sleep a night. Though you will see from this post that I do not go early to bed.
    • Posted

No, is that a beta-blocker? I haven't yet been prescribed anything to treat the actual arrhythmia. Doctor says once the INR is stable they'll probably consider shocking me back into rhythm - but I don't see cardiologist until the 9th.

• Posted

Usually they will give you a beta blocker or Amiodarone to help you for a few weeks prior to cardioversion.
    • Posted

Thanks for the info, I have my INR check on Monday so I will definitely ask the doctor if I should be taking something else. It's funny in a way because I didn't really have any symptoms until they gave me this diagnosis. Now I have shortness of breath, heart practically beating out of my chest and chest pains. I am a very anxious person so probably I just keep thinking about it and it's making it worse sad 

• Posted

I take a weekly dose of 7mg and a weekend dose of 8 mg of warfarin following a second DVT. Warfarin does make you very tired and lethargic along with a foggy head making it really hard to focus on things. I wake very early like you 3-4am and have to try to get back to sleep. Some people have joint pain too.
    • Posted

Thanks Rob. The problem is not knowing whether it's from my heart or the medications. I'm thinking the reason I haven't been prescribed a beta blocker etc is that my pulses are not that high even though it feels like my heart is going to come ripping out of my chest. And my blood pressure has been normal right along, although the doctor said that's not too unusual even with this condition. I just can't tell if I should go to the hospital or what, it's so frustrating sad I'm absolutely terrified of getting dizzy, especially if I am home alone or home with my daughter when my hubby is at school. Ugh!

• Posted

In regards to joint pain I also have a bad back with degenerative disc disease and bulging discs so I'm used to muscle pain etc. 

• Posted

I had joint pain on my weight bearing joints and twice stopped taking it for quite long periods. Each time the joint pain went within a month.

I did some research and found that the amaranth and E123 used in the 1mg tablets for colouring were probably the problem. Since then they have been removed as they were in America.

I went back on Warfarin in February without joint pain but used 1/2mg if needed to make up the dosage. 

You could ask your GP for Melatonin as it helps some with their sleep but it did nothing for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.