Out of the cast, into the boot!

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm almost 5 weeks post-op, and today, I was taken out of the cast and put into the boot! FWB and everything ! It's super exciting! I no longer have to hop around my apartment or try to cook on 1 foot...

I can go back to work, without my knee scooter right now, just in 4 hour shifts for now as to not strain my ankle too much -- my manager isn't happy that he can't schedule me for over 20 hours, he would like me to be working over 30 hours...but oh well. I would like me to be working over 30 hours as well!! But I'm not going to risk anything and want to heal properly.

It feels strange to walk. It doesn't hurt per say, it just feels weird. I'm starting PT on Monday, so that's in motion, and I go back to my doctor in 3 weeks.

And it's so weird, it seems that this boot is lighter than the last boot I had, even though they're both Aircast boots, and I'm sure the same style -- but the construction is a little different, so maybe it's just updated. No complaints here! I also might just be crazy lol.

1 like, 45 replies

45 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Anyone have tips on how to get rid of all the dead skin from the cast? Also, on how to approach sleeping "naked" (sans cast, boot or brace).

• Posted

I had a boot for a different reason. I had my toes removed due to an infection and gangrene.

My doctor suggested that I use a moisturizing cream because my leg looked like cracked wood.

I saw also told to elevate my leg at night or whenever possible during the day but if you are working that may not be possible.

Be sure you go to therapy. Withour doing the exercises daily, your leg may become stiff because it is so used to being. in a boot. The physical therapy may be hard but if you want a normal leg, try to do them as often as you can.

I was in another boot that covered my knee due to a quad tendon tear and even with the exercises my leg never recovered back to normal. I got arthrofibrosis.

Good luck

• Posted

I've been moisturizing like crazy!! I mean, using as much cream for just my calf as I do on my entire good leg!

As for elevation, I try, but it doesn't really work because my body just naturally goes into my normal sleeping position. Elevation only worked when I was still super swollen in my cast. When the swelling went down I started to move towards a natural sleeping position.

• Posted

I'm  really pleased for you lil. Did you have a TAR?  You'll be running around in no time! 

• Posted

I had a Brostrom. About 2 months before I can run.
  • Posted

Awesome! You are wise not to heed your manager's +30 hours a week. Good luck!

• Posted

My manager is crazy,and a jerk. He'll schedule me full time hours for a few weeks, but not make me full time, and then give me less for a week. I hope he slips up and schedules me FT hours for 6 weeks straight, then he HAS to, by law, make me full time.

• Posted

Congratulations! I get my cast off Tuesday and I was wondering the same things. My leg looked terrible when I had a cast change 2 weeks ago. I bought one of those nylon bath scrubber things to try, but I don't know if it will work. I thought about a sugar scrub also.

I've been sleeping in the recliner with my cast on an elevation pillow all this time because I can sleep on my back that way but, like you, when I get to bed I keep trying to roll onto my side. The doctor said that I don't have to sleep with my foot elevated but it seems to help so I do. I'm hoping to be able to sleep in bed after the cast comes off.

I'm going to return to my office Thursday but I don't know how long I'll be able to stay. Fortunately, most of my job involves computer work so I've been working from home all this time. I think I would have gone crazy otherwise.

It's good to know that you're not in too much pain. I was a little worried because two nights ago I heard my 2 year old grandson fall out of bed and start crying. Without even thinking (obviously) I started to run toward his room but as soon as I put weight on my cast I realized I couldn't move any further. Fortunately, he was angry but not hurt and I was stupid but not hurt. rolleyes

Keep us updated on your progress!

• Posted

Thanks!

Ultra moisturizing seems to be working to deal with the skin, so I'm just gonna keep doing that.

I've been sleeping on the couch because I could stack pillows up against/on the armrest to elevate, but eventually that started to fail. My ankle was super swollen last night so I wanted to be able to sleep with it elevated, and it didn't really work lol

If you work in an office, you should be fine. I work in retail and I just completed my second 4 hour shift (first was yesterday, the day after cast removal). Yes, I did sit a decent amount of the time, but I also got in about 3500 steps for the day which is a good amount of walking.

I'm hoping that by the end of my boot time I can work my regular 6-8 hour shifts, 5 days a week. I need the money big time since I was out for a month! Thankfully I've got super supportive parents!

Even now, progress is good. My limp without the boot is better than it was yesterday. Lesser and less painful. It makes me confident that in 3 weeks when I get out of the boot I'll be able to walk normally, especially since I start PT tomorrow.

• Posted

Hi. I'm 5 weeks post op trimalleor fracture. I can sleep on either side with two pillows between my legs. It's pretty comfortable. I don't wear my boot when I'm in bed. Does anyone have issues with numb toes?

• Posted

I have dreams that I get up and walk on my foot but have not actually done it yet.

I only had a cast on for two weeks. How long was yours on? I was told to wear the boot but could take it off to sleep and shower. I find I only wear the boot about half the time because I'm usually just sitting around. I'm 59 and I'm five weeks post-op.

• Posted

My cast was on for 6 weeks. I was also told that I don't have to sleep in the boot but I have to wear it if I get up in the night. Right now I have no other choice. I tried to take a step or two without it and I can't. I'm also 59 but it seems that even when I'm sitting I have to fetch stuff a lot. Tomorrow I'm going to return to the office part-time at least.

• Posted

What kind of break did you have?  Do you have any issues with numb toes? I'm fortunate to have had retired a year ago and I don't have any little kids to care for so I can basically just focus on myself and healing.  I taught myself to crochet. 🤣  Now I have a new hobby!

• Posted

I had a talonavicular joint fusion, so at least it was planned. I like the thought of learning to crochet or quilt but I doubt I'll have any time in the next few years. I hope you continue your fast recovery.

• Posted

3 weeks post surgery fir spiral breaks of the tibia and fibula. 2 plates 6 screws later and I have a boot. You ask numbness. Yeah. Prob over 80% of the right foot mostly on the outer part of the foot and up about 1 inch past ankle feels like you could hit with a hammer and I wouldn't feel it. Said it to doc a week ago and he seem to not really be concerned. However I saw him today again cause I was a little concerned in regards to the wound healing. So I said it to him again today. He seemed to be a little more concerned about it today. We will see. There's a nerve that runs right thru your ankle area that may have been damaged. These things take time I told to heal. Some good ppl post on these forums and it's really helpful. Good luck. Let me know if you have any change. Would be a positive for me.

• Posted

I'm six weeks post op and just had my check up and new xrays.  Mine is a trimalleor fracture, 2 plates, 10 screws, one pin and one wire. All I did was miss a step.   Things are right on schedule.  Some new bone growth.   The numbness in my foot started to get better about week four, but the big toe and one next to it still feel like there is rubber band tied around them.  Doctor said its common and its because of that nerve.  I'd say the first four weeks were the worst but now I seem to be in a groove. Hopefully you'll start feeling better too.  

• Posted

Things are going nicely for you. Keep up the good work! I am 8 and 1/2 months post surgery.

My foot and ankle are feeling good. This past week it has felt more normal more of the time.

All is good. Good luck to everyone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.