Out on the bionic side!!

Posted , 11 users are following.

So I have a new ceramic hip!! Done at5pm yesterday (long wait not good for the nerves but anaesthetist and surgeon fab and gave me loads of info and couldn't have been nicer. Spinal didn't hurt at all and as promised he kept me fast asleep through the procedure. Done by 6.15 and back to room by 7. Felt very dozy for quite a while but managed a delicious cuppa and a cheese sandwich!

OS said all went really well and that hip was in a horrible state so no wonder it's been so sore. Put in a larger ceramic head (U cemented) which he said will be more stable and less risk of dislocation so I can ski and surf again smile

The spinal lasted for ages - til about 2am before I could get to the loo (feel my legs) - was so lovely to have no pain!

Bit of a drama at 2am as was given liquid morphine. An hour later the most horrendous allergic reaction to it - agonising stomach spasms, couldn't breathe, BP went very low. Was sick. It was very scary but with oxygen, fluid IV and paracetamol in the iv it was under control about an hour later. Clearly morphine is not for me!! They have me on tapentadol now which works like a dream along with ibuprofen and paracetamol. Pain now manageable.

Physio this morning was tough but nice to be up and more this afternoon. Just walking on crutches.

Finding the hardest thing is sitting. Very sore sitting on loo seat but am sure that will only get better.

So happy to be this side and was all so much better (apart from the blip) than I imagined it would be smile

Thinking of all those going in this week - Kathy and Paul - it's really a relief I promise!! Good luck to you both smile

Am hoping to go home tomorrow or thurs depending on my low BP. Fingers crossed for tomorrow!!

Sam

7 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Once you wake up you wonder why you worried so much.  Glad your doing well!!
  • Posted

Happy to hear that everything went well in the end and that you are happy with the results so far.  I think that the waiting and unknown prior to the surgery was the worst for me too.
  • Posted

So glad to hear it went well for you and your operation is over.  I've only recently joined this forum, but it's great to read everyone's experience.  I've been putting off a hip replacement for years, (I was born with hip dysplasia, it was fixed at three, but 46 years later and Ive now bone rubbing on bone and though I am not in agony I can't  walk far and struggle climbing steps) I put it off because of the long recovery and just the fear of it all, finally decided to go ahead this year and am now on the waiting list.  I was wondering how you got on it's very encouraging reading your post.  Here's hoping your home soon too.

• Posted

Hi I had hip dysplasia also. I'm 52 now and had first hip done with a bone graft last year. So glad I did it. Life is better. Just need the other hip sorted now. Can't wait.

• Posted

Hi Denise ...it's great to hear your doing well, and hearing you had similar,as condition to mine and that you had your hip fixed.  It's encouraging me to go ahead, as I do keep thinking have I done right thing and will I regret a replacement.  Though by most people's posts it seems to be a great thing. Thanks for replying 

• Posted

Oh great news Sam! Keep doing all the exercises they give you when you go home .
  • Posted

Hi Sam,

So pleased it went well (mostly!). I've been thinking about you! I had the same, ceramic, slightly larger head. Take it easy when you get home, wishing you a great recovery, Judith

• Posted

Awesome. Keep up the positive vibes. You're doing great. I only had panadol and ipbrufen after 2 days as was allergic to everything else. Didn't need any pain meds after 2 weeks. Was great. Sounds like you are young. Do yr exercises and you'll be back to normal activity before you know it.

Good luck.

• Posted

Samantha this is wonderful news! Keeping you in prayer for a speedy recovery and a quick return home!

Kristen

• Posted

Hi Sam

i am glad it all went good for you, my 2 stage revision is tomorrow 23/2

keep up the good spirit

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.