Ovarian cancer scare

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi there I have been suffering with stomach and pelvix pain for about 2 weeks now. Also bowel changes but think that's part of IBS. I had blood tests and doctor rang today to say CA125 levels were slightly raised. I am waiting an ultrasound but so scared it could be cancer! I read that it can show other cancers too & noticed last few days both my nipples been inverted. I've always had one but not 2. 

Can anymore shred anymore, hopefully positive thoughts/advice on the CA125 levels. The pain is in pelvic area, down left hand side and around back 😔

Thanku 

0 likes, 124 replies

124 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Slightly elevated is nothing to worry about. It is when it is REALLY elevated that you need to worry. A normal woman's CA-125 level is 35, I was told that my CA-125 levels were 'slightly elevated' and they were 52. The Dr said when we are talking about the c word, it's in the hundreds!! Did the Dr tell you what yours were? 

when is your scan? 

• Posted

Hi becky my doc didn't tell me what level just was slightly raised. I am so stated as I know that test can show other cancers. My mom got breast cancer at my age. I've got back pain more now, down sides and across upper abdomen. I am goin to ring today to see when can get ultrasound as waiting in them to assess referral. I work at the hospital which is a bonus I guess. Just want to feel better sad

I also suffer with reflux and poss IBS so not sure if any connection but I doubt that would show up on CA test would it?

• Posted

It can show others but it usually shows others that have originated in the ovary and spread. It would also have a number in the hundreds in this case. I'd definitely chase up the scan as from my experiences it definitely helps to keep on their case...you should have no trouble if you work in the hospital! 😝

Try not to worry either (I know this is ridiculously hard!) They can tell if something looks suspicious from the scans so if they even slightly think that you may have something suspect they will have you in for surgery faster than you know it. 

Also, have a look online under CA-125, it's notoriously unreliable as even where you are in your cycle can affect the result. They will likely repeat it again in a few weeks. Have you made an apppointment to see your Dr about your breast? 

Positive vibes coming your way!!! 

• Posted

Hi becky

They looked and my form hasn't been assessed yet but it's marked as urgent 😳 doc said wasnt duly concerned but y mark it urgent 😔 I'm still on my period so not sure if pain linked as dnt usually suffer. I've had indigestion type feeling all across my upper abdomen, back pain and pelvic pain. Even my legs feel weak at times!

I've got. Form to complete for breast family clinic so sorting that today. So scared it's going to b somethg sinister 😢 thanku for ur support. 

• Posted

Hi Julie 

Finally I kind of have some answers. I have only a small cyst by my ovary and one of my tubes are slightly swollen with a bit of fluid which isn't free flowing as they say. With respect to all the pain I had which has settled a lot but still comes & goes I am also being checked out for IBS. 

I got a prescription today for meds to see if will help me but the gynaecologist suggested I have a laparoscopy a she said could b possible endometriosis but they wnt know for definite unless I have the procedure. So in seeing if the IBS is a problem first. Have another appt next mth to see what I decide to do?

I want to see how it goes. Difficult. Dnt want to have it done if not necessary but worried bout leaving it incase gets worse rolleyes

• Posted

Hi taz. Thank you

I just replied to Julie so you can see what the diagnosis was/could be?

smile xx

• Posted

Hi taz. I dnt know if u remember me but it's been a while. I finally have my lap on Monday! I am really nervous about it and wondered how u got on with recovery?

I am scared about the anaesthetic as not had one b4 sad and read so many posts about how much pain ppl have suffered with the gas afterwards. I am in diazepam atm as I'm suffering with anxiety

Is there anythg u can tell me to help stay positive? smile 

Thanks

Lisa xx

• Posted

Anaesthetic is go to sleep in one room and wake on another, seemingly immediately. Tell the anaesthetist about your nerves they are generally lovely people who will do what they can to help you.

Gas pain for me was virtually non-existent, just a mildly irritated shoulder for about 12 hrs. 

My recovery is slow but steady because of other medical problems. Most people would be bouncing about by now.

• Posted

did they give you leaflets on anaesthetic as I do have the links to download them from the Royal College of Anaesthetists?

Big big hugs

Taz xxx

• Posted

Ah thanks taz. That b good. No got pre op weds so may get them then. Mayb I am just reading too much. I know the cuts will b sore but worry bout the shoulder pain and coming round after the anaesthetic. Does if rly seem that quick. I almost imagine I'll b asleep for ages 😳 I'm hoping to come out same day

Would u mind taz if I keep in touch until my op. Just reassuring to talk to someone whose been thru it & keeps thgs positive smile

• Posted

Of course you can keep in touch. I'm here for you and will help as much as I can. 

Yes it does seem that quick. Yup your sleepy after but not a drugged sleepy just a tired one as you've just had something done. 

Most hospitals will try and ensure you can go home the same day, in fact they prefer it if you can. I would have done but as I have other medical problems including asthma and epilepsy was kept in.

Any pain medication for the cuts will also help any gas pain there might be, but as I said in my case it was more of a short annoyance than an ongoing pain.

Big hugs

Taz xxx

• Posted

Ah thanks taz smile that's good to know. Did u have a pre med. if so do u recommend? 

I hope u are feeling better now. U don't have to have anythg else done do you sad xx

• Posted

As you are on something for anxiety ask the pre op nurse if you can take it and what time. I can't advise what time as it depends when your op is and is critical. For example as mine was early I had to take all medication by 6:30am and could have nothing or drink after that. The reason is so that you are not sick under anaesthetic and inhale it.

I am much better than I was thanks and need nothing more doing at the moment 😊

Big hugs

Taz xxx

• Posted

Ah bless you. I'm so glad it wS all worth it for u smile

Yes I'll just ask. Trying not to take the diazepam unless necessary but think I'll need one on the day! I'll ask them tomorrow

My worst fear is if I have a reaction to the anaesthetic and what they would do if it happened? I think I've gone over things sooo much I'll b that worn out come Monday morning I'll b relaxed anyway lol :D xx

• Posted

Anaesthesesia reaction is rare. All anaesthetists monitor patients closely all the time so that they can step in, that is what they are there for and are highly trained. They qualified as Drs first. These days we have many drugs that reverse the anaesthetic virtually immediately and they are kept close at hand even though the chance of their being needed is so rare.

Big hugs

Taz xxx

• Posted

Once again explain your fear about the anaesthetic and ask what will be done if do at pre-op. They should be able to answer you. If for any reason they can't you will see the anaesthetist the morning of the op so explain and ask them. Do both if you wish, it is a question they will have been asked hundreds of times before and a fear that is common.

Big hugs

Taz xxx

• Posted

Thanks taz. U wnt believe I work for anaesthetics at the hospital!! But they just say U'll b fine rather than actually explain the procedure wink 

Thanku do much for your reassurance. I will let u know how it goes.  Thanku so much Taz xx

• Posted

I hate platitudes and the proverbial pat on the head. Some of us want info and some don't, if you didn't, why ask or express a fear in the first place, the sooner people realise that the better.

Big hugs

Taz xxx

• Posted

I know. Whether it's cos they r trying to make me feel better I dnt know? But strangely enough I dnt feel as nervous as I did ths time last week when I got my date rolleyes

I'm sure I will again tho in Monday morning. I will keep u posted smile

xx 

• Posted

Hi taz one more day to go! Been keeping busy ths wkd so haven't thgt too much but it's inevitable! sad I'm not too bad about the anaesthetic now but just worried about what U'll b waking up to! If I was told there is only small hydrosalpinx in right tube do u think there's a chance it can b repaired rather than removed rolleyes the lap really is to rule out endometriosis?

I should just try not to think about the what if's but not that easy 🙀 xx

• Posted

Repair Is possible in some cases, especially where the hydrosalpinx is small. This requires a surgical procedure called neosalpingostomy, in which a laparoscope is surgically inserted into the abdomen and an incision is made to open the blocked fallopian tube.

This is generally done only if you are under 35, and as it can increase the chance of ectopic pregnancy patients on whom it is done need to be closely monitored. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.