ovarian cyst

Posted , 6 users are following.

i started having mild period like pains dull ache round abouts october in my pelvic region/ovaries went for scan in december which confirmed i had a 4.6cm simple cyst on my left ovary this dull ache/mild period pain continued which is almost constant and stomach discomfort my periods are also slightly off which unusual l for me even skipped a period cant even tell when im going to come on anymore still having this dull ache and discomfort went for another scan this month its still there but now 2.3cm any body else thats been through this soooo worried many thanks

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I had an ovarian cyst removed a long time ago, 1984 to be exact, when I was 38. I'd had a niggly pain in my right side, like someone jabbing me with their finger. It was there but not enough to really need to take pain killers. I didn't have a problem with periods because I had already had a hysterectomy when I was 35. The niggly pains would come and go and I would go for a check up every six months to see if the cyst was getting bigger or smaller. They can just disappear without treatment and it's good that yours has gone from 4.6 to 2.3. Mine, on the other hand, didn't get smaller or go away, it got bigger. Eventually I had stronger pains but still not agonising by any means. One weekend I felt sick and had pains in my side, saw a doctor and was admitted to hospital a couple of hours later. I had an operation on the Monday when the cyst and my ovary was removed. The cyst was the size of a billiard ball so fairly large! I haven't had any trouble since although I went to the doctor today because I had been getting niggly pains in my left side and with certain other symptoms connected with ovarian cancer I am going to have some blood tests and an ultrasound scan, hopefully they will find nothing - they certainly won't find a womb or a right ovary!

Try not to worry and just concentrate on the fact that the cyst is getting smaller, now only HALF the size it was and in only three months so hopefully in June it will have gone, good luck.

• Posted

Thanks 4 your reply spindles hope everything goes well with your bloodtests and scan plz let me know x
  • Posted

Very interesting to see this - I myself have a 4.6cm cyst on my left ovary, although it contains a 'solitary papillation' and a 'solid' bit which is just under 1cm. I've been dismissed by the NHS as having IBS and I have found it incredibly frustrating - the pain is so dull and achy and niggly that it's even more irritating because people seem to think unless you're doubled over in pain then nothing is really wrong with you. I've now been referred for a 'diagnostic' laparoscopy as they seem to think my cyst can't be causing my pain and so they're gonna root around....have to wait til August though which is ridiculous as I was referred in March.

The one thing I would say is that it is good news yours is shrinking - often cysts do and that's handy. Have they proposed any further action/diagnostics?

• Posted

Update: Have had the blood tests done and had the scan last Friday so am waiting for the results in a week to ten days. Unlike katebrighteyes I didn't have to wait long to have the scan as I went to see the doctor, a new one I hadn't seen before and I listed the symptoms I was worried about i.e bloating, increased stomach size, poor appetitie, niggly pain in left side and she immediately ordered some blood tests and the scan which I had exactly two weeks after I saw her - don't know if this is a good or bad sign as some people have to wait for weeks or months for tests. The blood test was for lots of different things but included a CA125 which apparently is used to help diagnose ovarian cancer. Shall have a worrying week or so until I get the results and hope that there is nothing wrong.
  • Posted

keep us posted spindles....kate i have also been offered a laparoscopy but have to wait till october its driving me nuts i am just thinking the worst using doctor google so made another app with a different doc fed up of being pushed aside and being told it COULD be the cyst because i am not in agony and i am 28 so too young for anything serious
  • Posted

I was diagnosed recently after a Ultrasound scan to have an enlarged ovary and cysts on the other one,I have also had post menopausal bleeding.My gastroenterologist who sent me for the scan was very concerned and referred me to a gynecologist, the appt came through I went along to it was shown into a room where at best sat a very junior doctor at the worst she was a medical student.This person asked me a load of meaningless questions and it sounded like a practical lesson for her.She went off to show the consultant the answers,then she came back and said they had drawn up a plan for me---what was this plan--well there wasn't one apart from booking an MRI scan and having yet another blood test > I was told I needn't go back to clinic I would be sent a letter with the results and then I was told the pain was all in my mind.Is it any wonder the women of this country are dying needlessly from ovarian cancer,because my ca125 blood test was low they considered it absolutely Gospel that I didn't have anything sinister going on---and we all know blood tests are not fulproof.
  • Posted

hel5zt its terrible isnt it we know are bodies best you have to be persistent just keep going back to your doctor i have and they have now gave me anti biotics to see if i have PID keep us posted
  • Posted

I get embarrassed being persistent - I phoned my consultant's secretary to explain I am in alot of pain and finding it hard to wait for this op til august - they said they'd call me back and that was over a week ago sad It's very disappointing.
  • Posted

Just a quick update - I am pleased to say that my scan (abdominal and urinary tract) was normal. I have only had one result from all the different blood tests and am hoping that they are normal as well. I can't believe that people are treated so differently in other parts of the country. I had a scan within two weeks of being referred by the doctor and yet others have to wait months or are mucked about and more or less told they're imagining their pain. I feel so sorry for all the women who are having to wait months for tests and scans etc. and feel lucky that I was seen so promptly. They talk about "postcode lotteries" when it comes to the NHS and it seems to be very good here in Gloucestershire, although having said that, several years ago I was waiting for an "urgent" diabetes appointment and the doctor had to ring the consultant after several weeks to see what had happened to my appointment. Apparently "urgent" can be anything up to three months. As for consultant's secretaries, I know that paperwork can be lying around in their In tray for weeks before they get around to dealing with it so perhaps katebrighteyes should give them another ring.
  • Posted

I have multi small ovarian cysts and after my 3rd scan last November more were found. I do get symptoms eg pain, bowel disturbances I was supposed to go back to clinic at the end of February but had a phone call this morning telling me it had been put back to the end of April.I have never had the results sent to me but my GP did have a letter---I found this out by phoning my consultants secretary.As I'm 67 yrs old I'm wondering if my age is making me go to the bottom of the clinic list pile,the CA125 blood test was 11 so they are not worried it's cancer in that respect but I do feel neglected.
  • Posted

Hi there,

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice. I also have a dull cramping pain constantly, i had an ultrascound scan and they have said there is a growth on the ovary (cant remember the exact name) but its a very common thing and they sent me out a gyne app for the end of January. But the pain is just getting worse and worse, especially at the top of my legs, has anyone else had this. I called the doc the other day and have an appointment for monday but i know she wont do anything as i have this gyne app (she is really quite grumpy biggrin I generally just feel terrible, im so tired ALL the time, im sleeping for 9pm every night, i am just not functioning properly, I'm 33 yrs old!

Wow that feels good to get that off my chest smile

• Posted

Hey did you ever find out what was wrong exactly what I am having x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.