Ovarian Cyst diagnosis. Unsure what to do

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been having pelvic pain for around 9 months and after finally going to the doctors I had an ultrasound where they said I had a complex cyst on my right ovary measuring 7x6x5cm.

All my pain has been on my left side which makes me worried they have missed a cyst on my left ovary or gotten the sides mixed up.

I am getting sharp "pinching" "pulling" and "stabbing" pains through out the day. More sever and so over the past week. But it does not feel bad enough to go to my local emergency department.

I am due for a meeting with a gynaecologist in two weeks time but I don't know if I can last till then.is it worth me ringing my GP and explaining my symptoms have worsened or stick out the two weeks.

Thanks.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Don't panic. I had a large dermoid cyst removed off my right ovary, with the majority of ovary as well. But my pain was on my left side. Always my left. Never the right. Try and take strong pain killers. As well as hot baths and hot water bottles. I know the pain can be unbearable at times. But meeting with your gyno and planning the surgery is much better than emergency surgery. I feel for you I really do. But the gyno will probably book you in fast. I only had 4 days from my app to the surgery itself xx
    • Posted

Thank you!

I think mine is a dermoid too as they said it wasn't a simple fluid filled cyst. I'm just curious do you know what size yours was? I'm only 19 and the thought of having an ovary removed aswell is quite daunting.

I hope my surgery is booked fast if needed I'm seriously at my wits end. I work long days and I am in agony constantly, not sleeping either so it's really taken its toll on me the past few weeks.

• Posted

I can't remember exactly. Would have to look at my notes. I think it was 8x8x7. I was 22 when I had the surgery done. Not everyone needs to get an ovary removed. Unfortunately the dermoid had damaged mine too bad to save it. But I still have my left one. It's a very scary process. You will defo need surgery if it's a dermoid as they don't burst or just go away. They tend to have skin hair and bone. I had my surgery and was in the hospital for 5 days. Then needed 12 weeks off my work (Im a carer so heavy lifting is part of my job. If your in an office or something with no lifting you will be back to work within 6-10 weeks) unless you have keyhole which is better and only takes 2 weeks to heal. If your in too much pain they should defo take you quickly xx
    • Posted

I've been having the pain since last June time but it only got bad enough in November when I felt the need to tell my doctor. So I'm guessing all this time may possibly mean it's not going to disappear either.

I am also a carer! Strange haha.

I think I'll wait it out the next two weeks unless I have any drastic changes in pain.

I'll keep you updated xx

• Posted

Hi shannon. I've recently had a similar diagnoses and waiting for more tests to see whether I need surgery to remove them. In other words they are being monitored for growth as this can indicate what the next step might be. ie; surgery or other treatment. I'm 72 and also have a prolapse which complicates things a little! They don't rush to do surgery these days if there are other options available for your condition it seems. If you are really worried I'd go back to your GP and tell him/her. I intend to do this as some of the symptoms are bothering me more now since I had an examination by gynae registrar at the clinic. Good luck, Pollyanna UK rolleyes
    • Posted

Hi Pollyanna.

Sorry to hear you are also Experiencing this. I am only 19 so I am quite nervous about the whole situation

I felt even more nervous as when I went for my ultrasound 2 weeks ago they sent me for what was meant to be an emergency referall to the gynaecologist (which has ended up taking 5 weeks). I also had an internal ultrasound which I think knocked the cyst and since that scan my pain seems to have tripled. I am uncomfortable sitting and lying on either side making me really struggle with my sleeping. My pain comes shortly but severely. Lasting 10/15 seconds max but I get it so many times a day. It's hard as I can't really take pain killers as it isn't a constant pain.

Hope you get sorted soon xx

• Posted

Shannon, I'm Peggy, 53 have a complex cyst on my right ovary, weird thing is, when they were doing the vaginal ultrasound, the extreme pain was when they were on the left side, when I questioned the technician, she said I'm actually on the right side, which was bazaar, I don't know how to explain it, but due to me being post menopausal and having a family history and a few other things, I'm scheduled to have the ovaries and tubes removed on Feb 17, I'm on pain meds for my fibromyalgia, I've been taking that for my pain, til the surgery, please keep us posted on what you find out
    • Posted

Hi Peggy!

That's exactly what happened to me. All my pain has been left sided where as the cyst is right sided

The only issue j get with my right side is it has a "heavy and full" ache kind of feeling. Worse if I lay on the side at night.

How long have you had to wait for surgery if you don't mind me asking. Xx

• Posted

I originally went to my ob in Nov, she felt the mass, did the ultrasound a wk later, we waited til Jan 14 to do the repeat ultrasound, still there, grown a little, and scheduled surgery for Feb 17, nagging aching pain for last week, Feb 17 can't get here soon enough...planning a laparoscopy, but if they see that it's cancer, they'll do a total hysterectomy. So I won't know til I wake up what they did and what they found
    • Posted

I'm 5 weeks from ultrasound to gynae consultation. I've had the CA125 tests done which came back clear. I'm just so fed up. I'm not sleeping and working long hours in agony. I'm having bowel difficulties sorry if tmi. I feel so bloated all the time too. I just hope when I meet with my gynae consultant In 2 weeks they don't ask me to wait another month or two and to have an ultrasound again to check xx
    • Posted

Totally get it girl, my ca125 was only 7 but ob said that it's usually not elevated in the beginning stages of ovarian cancer. I have same issues as you, but mine is attributed to the pain med for the fibromyalgia. She is concerned it could be cancer but not alarmed, I think that's why my surgery is still 3 wks out, I think if you explain your pain, they could bump up your surgery if you have to have it, just be open and tell them...a lot of pain could be ruptured cyst. I would question that as well
  • Posted

I ended up in the emergency department last night due to being in constant pain and feeling faint and weak with my cyst for over 24 hours the worst it's been. I was given IV buscopan and told it was because of my period cycle causing it to cramp (even though I don't have periods due to my pill)

Fed up wasn't even given pain relief on discharge.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.