Ovarian Cyst? Or bowel problems?

Posted , 42 users are following.

Hi,

I'm wondering whether anyone has any advice for me. I am currently experiencing right sided abdominal pain, located around the belly button and below. I can take the edge of it with OTC pain relief but it does not take it away completely. I have had a cyst on my right ovary twice in the past, both times it has resolved itself and not needed treatment.

A few weeks ago I was woken up in the middle of the night by a sharp pain in my abdomen (right side) and felt hot, sweaty and as though I was going to pass out. I walked around for a bit feeling very disorientated and eventually (after 20 mins or so) was able to get back to sleep. The next day I was exhausted and could barely function. I then missed a period - when it was due my stomach became very swollen, felt really heavy and I looked six months pregnant. I went to the doctors because OTC painkillers weren't helping. I mentioned I was slightly constipated to him and he prescribed me laxido without feeling my stomach. I took it as instructed and started going to the toilet about four times a day so figured I didn't need to take it any more and stopped. I then started passing rabbit pellets again and the abdominal pain continued - some days I felt OK, some days I just wanted to curl in a ball and cry. Sometimes I would pass a normal stool and others nothing. I began to feel a pressure feeling in my rectum too like there was something in there. I went back to the docs and he said it sounded like IBS and told me to take IBucspan which I did, made no difference whatsoever. I then got my period and for those few days I felt relatively normal. A few days after my period ended the abdominal pain came back on the right side, it was so bad I got an appointment at the out of hours clinic. The doctor said it sounded like a problem with my bowel and she felt my stomach, was very sore when she pressed on the right side and she said that it could be because of constipation or maybe a cyst. She gave me Colofac. I have been taking those for the last few days and they don't seem to be helping at all. I went back to my doctor and he said he would arrange for me to have a test on my bowel (where they out the camera up there, not a colonoscopy, the other one flexible something?) which I will be having next Tuesday. I have started going to the toilet (normal stools) this week without the aid of laxido - I have been drinking cups of cooled boiled water and it has got everything moving along) but the abdominal pain on the right side remains.

I am petrified about having bowel cancer as my Mum's brother died of it. He was 44 and I am 40. I haven't had any rectal bleeding and my poo does not seem to have blood in it. The feeling of fullness in my rectum seems to have subsided since I have got my bowels moving again. I have quite a lot of gas though.

Obviously I want the test I am having on Tuesday to show nothing serious but if it does I don't know where to go from here? The only thing that makes the pain any better is holding a hot water bottle to my right side. Lying down flat is OK but if I sit up or lie on my side it is really uncomfortable.

Does anybody have any ideas as to what is happening to me? I have three children, my husband works abroad and it is hard to make it through each day (and night) in pain and with so many worries running through my head!

Thank you in advance

2 likes, 103 replies

103 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Kerry read all my comments cancer="" ,it="" was="" not="" the="" big="" c,(prob="" dermoid)please="" don't="" worry="" im="" sure="" its="" cyst="" ,please="" read="" back="" my="" notes="" and="" tc="" ,mags="" xx="">
    • Posted

Does anyone know please what's the cause of cysts on the ovaries mine is 6.1cm pain comes and goes on my right side. I feel pain now on my left said ? Not sure what it could might be. Been 2 month brown stuff keep coming out ?

I'm. Anemic, I've low iron and I've a bloated stomach

I know cysts runs in my families.

• Posted

Yes. PCOS like Jenny said. Also endometriosis. Sometimes women get one in their lifetime with no known cause. If you get them reoccurring, it's likely from endo or pcos. Sorry about the very late reply.

• Posted

You've just described everyhing I went through in the last year. I had been to doctor with abdominal pain they told me it was stds pumped with antibiotics didn't get better told me it was pelvic inflammatory disease pumped me with more drugs. Had a scan came back clear so I just went away and tried to forget about it. Sex was painful and day to day activities became a struggle.

The doctor said I had IBS so I was put on anti spasmodics for 3 months monitored my diet, still the same. Was asked if my pain got worse at particular times of day which it didn't there was no pattern. At this point I was regularly taking painkillers, and I was so bunged up couldn't go to the toilet, so was told to take stool looseness. The pain was now unbearable, it was on my right side in line with my hip it went into my back my groin. I remember going shopping with my mum in tesco and went so hot sweaty dizzy crying I ended up sat on floor in middle of tesco! Went hospital and they felt my tummy said it was probably a mixture of pain and constipation. Had a blood test for cysts etc all clear, made me feel like I was making it up!

Had a scan internal found a few cysts one big one!! If your taking pain killers your body will naturally clog up!!

• Posted

Can I ask, if anyone on here has actually got answers and are now back to their normal selves? I've been experience all the save symptoms since April. Many gp trips, scans, antibiotics and nothing has been resolved. I know my own body and I know how awful I feel. GP just seem to shrugged me off.

I really want to get back to being me. I'm forever needing to wee, side pain, feeling sick and very tired.

Thankyou X

• Posted

thank you for both your replies. I am now convinced it is a cyst and I feel less stressed by the whole thing. Your experience in tesco is exactly how I have been feeling! Since I posted I had my sigmoidoscopy which was completely clear. I upped my laxido and am now going to the toilet normally - I think I was constipated due to the amount of pain killers I was taking and the two courses of unnecessary antibiotics i had been prescribed. The pain has lessened since the constipation has cleared but I am still having weird sensations whereupon ovary is. The day after my sigmoidoscopy I started a period that has been sooo heavy with lots of clots and has lasted 7 days -usually I am only 4-5. I have a ultrasound booked at the hospital for the 13th march so I hope I will get more answers then. Thanks for taking the time to reply to me x
    • Posted

Have you gone to a gynecologist and request a transvaginal ultrasound. That's how my doctor found my cysts. 

• Posted

Doctors give you all these drugs and it plays havoc with your toilet business, eat loads a fruit and pro biotic yog!!

My periods were all over place heavy light 12 days 4 days every other week it was awfull.

I always think the worst, and it's nice to have some reassurance even of it's to get a good nights sleep!! By sounds if it your pretty busy and I'm guessing night times your brain goes off on it's own little knightmare!

Think positive - it will get sorted and there is a light at end of the tunnel xxx

• Posted

Hi Kerry,  I am having the same issue and going to see my gyno next week.  What did yours turn out to be?  Did you get an answer?  I hope all is well now. 
    • Posted

Hi Corinne,

I am happy to say I feel back to myself now. After the second period my pain disappeared and my bowel function returned to normal. I received my ultrasound date and went along to that - everything on my ovaries completely normal. So I never got a diagnosis as such but I just know it was a cyst from past experience. This one was nastier than any others I have had and took two cycles to clear whereas usually I get relief after one. I believe it may have burst the night I had my weird dizzy episode and then it took my body a few weeks to get back to normal. I think it was pressing only bowel and, coupled with all the pain killers and antibiotics I had been prescribed meant havoc for my bowels! 

Just so frustrating seeing different doctors all the time and being diagnosed with ibs etc without so much of a feel of the tummy! I believe if I had had an ultrasound when I first presented with pain a cyst would have shown up! 

I hope you are pain free soon Corinne. I know it is easy to say but try not to panic. I got myself in such a state about it but to be honest I have never has such pain for such a long time!  I would keep pestering the doctor and make sure you get a scan - and if you don't feel better keep going back, be persistent. You know your body best. Good luck, let me know how you get on x

• Posted

Hi Kerry. I had the same thing. Exactly the same on my left side a couple years ago. It was a torsioned ovary and I had to have an emergency surgery to remove it. It is very difficult to diagnose apparently. Mine was not because I was at the point where the organ was dying and causing gangrene. Most women will not get to this point because the pain will become intolerable before that happens. I however have a high pain tolerance so It was a very serious life and death situation. I am now having the same thing on my right side. It is the same issue of torsional strain and the ovary is being removed. We just caught it quicker this time because I know the signs. Be sure to discuss this possibility with your doctors. I have been told by my surgeons that this possibility is overlooked by many, many doctors. (torsioned ovaries are caused by cysts) 
  • Posted

Hi

I have just been discharged from hospital today after 2 days in hospital from exactly the same sympotms as you have described. The consultant has fobbed me off again (this is my 7th time attending hospital) and said that because they cant find anything else it must be IBS.

I get the same pains, sweating, dizziness and swelling as you have described at least once a month and i cant seem to get a doctor to listen to me.

I am going to go to my gp and ask to be referred to check my ovaries after seeing this post. Has your problems been resolved? What did they do to stop your pain?

Rach x

• Posted

Hi.  Was wondering if you've found out yet what is causing your symptoms?  I have EXACTLY the same symptoms as you, and have also been to the hospital several times with no resolution.  They've done CT scans, MRIs, colonoscopy, endoscopy, barium tests, etc., and still no diagnosis.  I suffer daily from abdominal pain on my lower right side (feels like a constant dull/throbbing pain).  Sometimes worsens, where it feels as though your intestines are twisting.  When this pain occurs, I get completely blocked up; cannot pass gas or stool for days.  When the spasm goes away, it is as if the flood gates open, and everything gets purged all at once.  This is what landed me in the hospital 2 weeks ago.  My heart rate sky rocketed to 140+, blood pressure went up, fever, dizziness, neasea, vommiting, etc.  They told me that I was just dehydrated!!  They did yet another CT scan, and saw that I had a 1.6 cm cyst "probably" on/in my ovary.  The results all stated "probably" in the diagnosis.  I have been to 3 gastro doctors and my OBGYN countless times, and each time I go to one, they blame it on the other.  They gyno says it is a gastro issue, and the gastro says it is a gyno issue.  So frustrated at this point, I don't know where to turn.  I have been on several anti-spasm medications, prilosec for acid reflux, probiotics, IBS diet, gluten free diet, etc., and NOTHING has changed.  I cannot find a doctor who can figure out what is wrong with me and I am so tired of feeling horrible.  
    • Posted

Hi I also have very similar to you! Not sure if mine is gynae or Ibs! So frustrating. Have had scan and they found small ovarian cyst but said shouldn't be a problem. Then lately have tried a Fodmap diet for Ibs but still getting right side low pain! Been back to Doctor and thinking of having a colonoscopy as last one was three years ago but also feel like I want another scan to double check ovaries. It gets you down doesn't it!
    • Posted

I have had right sided pain for over a year. My gp sent me for ultrasound, nothing found. Had to go to ER passing a kidney stone. they did ct and found the stone, but also found cyst on my left ovary 3x5cm. They advised me to get it checked out. Right away I called my gyno. She was on vacation so I called a different one. I mentioned to him that my pain was on my right side not my left. CT scan did not show anything on my right side. He did a transvaginal ultrasound and found a bigger cyst on my right side and ordered an MRI with contrast. I will get my results this Monday. But he says I need both ovaries out because I am post menopausal.  He had also ordered a C125 and it came out negative.  This has all happened within a month's time. I am glad I went to him because no time is wasted, all the tests were done quickly.  My only confusion is that I went for gyno exam about 9 months ago and I thought she did a really good exam and yet no mention of any cysts. Now I know that a ct scan does not show everything. Best to ask gp to order MRI and if it's gyno related insist on transvaginal ultrasound instead of having these doctors play a guessing game. 

• Posted

Hi Maureen,

I just stumbled upon this feed and I notice that your post is from 2 years ago so hopefully you’re still on here. Your symptoms and attempts to find an answer sound identical to me. I have been going back and forth between GI for IBS and my GYN for years now which has become really frustrating. I feel as though I have tried every medicine and diet possible, yet nothing ever presents as a long term solution .

I’m curious if you have received any answers since your post 2 years ago and/or have any new insights.

Thank you smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.