Over a year of crippling PF pain and now 7 mo pregnant

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had PF for about 1.5 years. It all started because of my choice in shoes. Well, when i was younger i had foot pain because I was always athletic but it went away with time. It started out with pain after prolonged sitting and then standing to walk. OUCH Also of course first thing in the morning. I am now to the point where I can barely hobble around in the mornings and the pain lasts all day long with no relief. On days that I walk more I truly pay for it the following day. I have very young children and am now 7 months pregnant. I know the pregnancy has not aided in my PF situation in any way but without it I truly feel I would be in the same amount of pain because prior to pregnancy it felt just as bad. I finally went to see a podiatrist and exactly what I thought he would say he said. Just stretch my feet like i have been using the frozen water bottle and the tea towels and etc. He will give me the steroid injections after I have the baby. None of my family (except my children) understand the daily constant agony my feet put me through. I can't imagine the pain getting any worse than it is right now. I dont see this magically going away on its own either. I just don't know how to manage the pain and live my life the way I should be able to! I am willing to try anything. Until I have the baby I will be doing the stretching, shoe inserts and anything else I can. I am feeling so defeated. No pun intended wink  

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

WOW-that's pretty tough on you - I wish you the best of luck...the one thing I can say no matter how uncomfortable it is wear the best supportive sneakers with custom insoles and no barefoot and no sandals...sorry...it will make a difference.  I have had PF for about 1.5 years now.  I recently had PRP injections and Radio frequency about 2.5 months ago - the jury is still out as I think I need more time.  However, if you have family that can help by all means let them....try not to stand for long periods either...show your family this and tell them that it is AS PAINFUL AS THEY CAN'T IMAGINE....good luck ( also had 3 cortizone shots but they did not help)
  • Posted

I had achilles tendonitis and PF for years and it got to the stage that i would be in pain when walking and if I sat at a desk for more than 15/20 minutes before getting up. I knew people who had tried cortisone injections but it only worked for one of them and he said he wouldn't do it again as it only lasted for 3 months and was very painful.

I asked my doctor about glyceryl trinitrate patches and he didn't want to know as there hadn't been enough work done on trials etc. Anyway I found an online source for the patches and applied them as per the trial I had read about.

After 6 months of using them my feet were finally free of pain and I was able to walk long distances without any problems. Not only that but 6 weeks ago I tried to run for the 1st time in almost 4 and a half years and I managed a couple of miles. I have run 3 times a week since then with no reaction at all and can't begin to explain how much it means to me to be able to run again (I ran for over 30 years prior to having to stop).

It appears to be the case that this can work for PF in the same way and although I am not a medical professional I am purely sharing this as I know what it's like to suffer with this and want to help anyone else with it. I know the possible side-effects of this are headaches but I didn't have any problems at all (although i don't remember ever having a headache so i guess i'm not susceptible to them).

• Posted

I tried everything the podiatrists and docs suggested but just gave up as not getting better. eventually got rid of the PF and achiles tendonitis through a few simple stpes:

1. Serious icing - forget the bottle rolling and all that; stuck frozen champagne wrappers - those thing you are meant to put wine bottle in to keep cool - on my feet and sat on sofa for hours - to the point i thought my feet might freeze -  that worked wonders for the PF

2. get some Sketchers Go Walk (and threw out the orthotics) - also worked wonders - nice soft cushty much better for me than the customer orthotics and constant wearing of trainers. Wear trainers a lot but now intersperse with Go Walks and Fit Flops and the mix seems to make my feet quite happy. I think Go Walks must work for a lot of people as the company turnover has doubled in the ast 6 monhts and i love them so much thinkin i should buy shares in the company!!

3. Now do tons of swmming - thsi seems to massively help the achiles and PF as non weight bearing but seems to get everything moving and stretching. Watched loads of You Tube videos to try and swim properly - replaced the running with swimming to keep fit

4. Diet - i noticed that there was a strond correlation with being overweight / fat cells and all these complaints - the fat cells seem to set things off. Cut out wheat and most dairy and that seemed to make huge difference but wheter due to diet r losing weight i dont know but i feel tons better so now only occasionally eat either - first week was hard but thereafter i enjoy it. Massively increased fruti and veg i ate to get as many vits and mins as possible on off chance the body could use them to repair itself. 

4. on odd occasion it has returned, maybe once a month use voltarol, rest 1 day, pop on my Go Walk shoes, make sure i dont eat wheat and goes away again,

I have binned the jabs, constant pain killers & NSAIDS, the orthotics - none of them worked as well as the above and the determination to just get myself well again and not rely on the docs - i ended up thinking the orthotics etc just were perpetuating the issue rather than curing it.  

If it helps, my PF apepared overnight as did the achiles issues but they also went pretty quickly - within 4 weeks as soon as i made the above changes. 

the above work for me 

• Posted

Wow you've had this along time

That's ruff

I had the shot it my foot yesterday

It' feels completely gone except for a little sore from the shot

I hope you find a solution

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.