Overactive on levothyroxine after tt

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a total thyroidectomy done two months ago. I am currently feeling well and sitting just slightly overactive on levothyroxine. I am not losing any weight though. Why is this when I am eating absolutely no more than 1200 calories and exercising! Anyone tell me where I am going wrong?

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Penny,  First, you aren't doing anything wrong. You're doing great! There are certainly diet tips that will help you, but getting the medication dose right sometimes takes a while. If your thyroidectomy was two months ago, it's been less than three months since you started the meds. It takes a full three months for the meds to level out. You can certainly guess at the dosage before then and use the bloodwork as a gauge along with how you're feeling. Since you're feeling OK, I'd give it another monthon the dose you're on. If you start to have cold feet or other symptoms of low thyroid, you'll want to co nsider increasing your dose.

Some questions for you:

Prior to the thyroidectomy, were you perfectly healthy other than the thyroid disease? Or do you have other health problems?

Were you on thyroid meds before the surgery? How much and when did you change?

How old are you? Male or female?

Did you have a weight problem before the thyroid surgery, was it longstanding, or with the onset of thyroid disease?

When you say you're feeling well, are you feeling great?  Are you able to exercise? Do you feel like yourself? Or do you feel not quite yourself? Where are you on a scale of 1-10?

What are your lifestyle conditions? Are you like many with thyroid disease that by the time you got diagnosed and treated, your life has fallen apart and you've been stressed to the max?

I'm asking these questions because it's important to understand how much of your weightloss difficulties are due tot he thyroid/ meds/ surgery, and how much can be attributed to peripheral problems that accompany thyroid disease, and how much is due to aging. I tend to put less focus on age than anything else, but as you get older, it is harder for your body to recover, so it is a factor. As we age, it is more difficult to lose weight, of course. Also, if your thyroid disease was a long time undiagnosed, you may have adrenal exhaustion or other low hormones, that can be helped with herbal treatment.

Keep in mind, your body has been through an extremely difficult trauma, so it may take a few months to feel like yourself again. My experience has been that acupuncture is extremely helpful in getting the system rebooted, when you feel you need it. In a good acupuncturist, I look for one who trained in the Orient.

I feel like I wasn't able to give you any concrete answers.

If you feel the points I made are not applicable to you, then certainly, I would look at your diet and what you're eating. I'm assuming that prior to your thyroid disease, the 1200 calorie a day diet was an effective weightloss approach for you, right? Are you eating enough protein? Is your diet clean and loaded with healthy organic veggies? Are you taking multi-mineral and vitamin supplements? Do you need to cleanse? If your thyroid disease is long-standing, your liver may have built up a store of waste due to the slow metabolism. This causes your digestion to be stagnant, slows metabolism, etc. The other question is, how is your digestion? Many folks with longstanding thyroid disease also have accompanying digestion problems, food sensitivities, etc, which result in malnurishment due to lack of food absorption.

My best recommendation is to take a holistic approach, cleanse and heal your whole body while you lose the weight. Honestly, take a good look at the factors that may have contributed to the weakness in the body that resulted in thyroid disease, and start there. Some of them may have been avoidable, some not. No blame or judgment.  If you take this approach, you will be on your way to wellness and wholeness. Be prepared that it may take time.

Keep us posted with your progress, as it's nice to hear what works and what doesn't.

Best of luck!

Catherine

• Posted

Catherine has summed it up really well. There are some things you can do that will help your body get the most out of your thyroid medication:

1) take thyroid meds with water on an empty stomach and wait an hour before eating - I find taking it when I wake up, an hour before eating breakfast to be the easiest way to do this.

2) ensure you are not deficient in any of the key vitamins and minerals that the body needs - people with thyroid problems can be low in: iron, ferritin (needs to be 90 to process thyroid meds), selenium, zinc, vitamin B12, vitamin D, potassium, magnesium and calcium. So it's a good idea to get these checked.

I found I lost weight by cutting down on carbohydrates and eating fresh fish, meat and vegetables. I'm convinced that the extras they put in ready prepared food to preserve it (whether natural or artifical) results in it being digested differently - I have no proof of this, except my own experience of losing weight when I changed to eating fresh (or frozen) food instead of ready prepared meals and minmising carbohydrates.

The bottom line is try and eat healthily using fresh/frozen food. (I'm not a saint - I only succeded in doing this when I developed loads of allergies and intolerances: I can't have corn or carbohydrates - then the weight fell off. Hope there are some ideas in this reply to give you some ideas.

• Posted

Hi Penny- Barbara's comments about dieting, lean protein and veggies, low carb and nothing processed is absolutely true. Once ou stop wthings like bottled salad dressings for a while, you realize how much toxic stuff you've been getting and your skin gets better, the less processed stuff you eat.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.