Overweight?.

Posted , 23 users are following.

I was talking with a friend about how many people on this site are having post op problems with there new TKR . He said that most of those people are probably totally out of shape. And morbidly obese. I don't think this is the case. Tell me he is wrong. 

1 like, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Not true at all, I did gain weight after my surgery, but lost more than I gained after. I am a US size 11 and had issues after surgery because of scar tissue from the 9 previous surgeries on the same knee. Then 5 weeks after surgery I was rear ended and had more issues. I am now 10 months post-op and doing amazing!
    • Posted

May I ask why did you have 9 surgeries on the same knee
    • Posted

I have a disease called pigmented villanodular synovitis. First surgery was at age 5.
    • Posted

That's a very scary thought on the count of I was diagnosed with pvns over the summer in both knees. For a whole year I was in pure agony an now I'm still recovering from my double knee arthroscopy surgery over the summer. I'm 23 yrs old an this website has helped me through a lot within the last acouple months. As for the comment I was in the best shape of my life before my knees started hurting me. Playing sports and lifting weights 5 times a week. I hope you never have to go thru any other surgeries as well as everyone else on this site. God bless fleveryone.
    • Posted

Fadi, I was diagnosed 35 years ago when nothing g was known about this disease. They have made lots of helpful discoveries that were not available when I was diagnosed. I had 3 total synovectomies before they figured out what it was, and I was 13 when I was diagnosed. First surgery at age 5..8 surgeries before the age of 18 and 1 at 26 with 32 rounds.of radiation. I needed a knee replacement since I was 18 and no one would touch me at that age. I had to fight to get it at 44 and jump through tons of hoops. My quality of life was awful because of this disease. Now that my knee has been replaced, I feel like I am 18 again and it is wonderful to feel this way! I never rode a bike until the age of 44 and people do not know how great that is, because they have done it all their life!! Seek a Dr. That knows about the disease and has treated it before and discuss all your options. I still have to explain to Doctors what this disease is...
    • Posted

Sometimes I feel like why me but shouldn't bc ppl have it way worse then I do. I started getting pain in my knees by 18 but it was bare able didn't think anything of it but when I was 22 I was in a car accident where I hit my knees hard against the steering wheel. After that it was a nightmare for a year it was the worst pain I ever experienced I could barley walk some nights I wouldn't even be able to sleep bc the pain was so bad. I was getting 110ccs of fluid drained out of each knee on a weekly basis for 6 weeks straight. I finally opted for the surgery bc the doc thought it was a bad case of synvotis until he actually saw what was inside my knee an he told me he's never seen anything like that before.
    • Posted

It's now 3 months and I still have pain but not like before. Doc told me if the tissue comes back I will have to do a full Syvectonmy. An he basically told me I'm going to have problems for the rest of my life blah blah blah. Defiantly something someone doesn't want to hear. No one really understands either since like you said it's so rare no one has ever heard of it. I'm just trying to be optimistic an hope I'm in that 50% category where it does not come back
    • Posted

I eish you luck, I wish I had known about radiation as a treatment when I was young..after radiation I never had a reoccurance, but the damage was already done...
    • Posted

Doctor didn't even mention or suggest radiation. He just said if it comes back we need to operate again. Maybe i should look for a new doctor lol
    • Posted

I know that in Boston there is a Dr. Brick who is a leading researcher for the disease. My doctor interned under him.
  • Posted

I suspect you could take many of the issues on the entire site, make the same blanket statement and pat yourself on the back for being so astute. Many of the folks on here are out of shape because knee or hip problems have caused them to become sedentary and they have gotten out of shape. I'm in the US and obesity is an ever increasing problem starting at a young age. Much of this is caused by preoccupation with electronic devices and lack of excercise. In many cases that have come up in the 10 months OR so I've been around, its the exact opposite. These folks have been so active they have worn out the joint with excessive physical activity or have damaged the joint with an injury. In my case, its a rare tumor that destroyed the bone and tissue. Whatever the reasons, no one needs the insensitive finger pointing by someone who has never been through it. The unfortunate ones here aren't looking for diagnosis they are looking for help to make there life better.
    • Posted

By the way....this is my 11th surgery plus 30 rounds of radiation. I'll be the 1st to be in lorrigirls corner as we both have the same tumor condition. I'm just a lot older than her.
  • Posted

Is your friend having a laugh!!!! I'm not over weight and I suspect most people on this site aren't either!!! We've had a traumatic operation which none of us have been 100% prepared for. Perhaps your friend should watch the procedure on YouTube and then decide if it's because we're all out of shape and obese!!! I find his comments very rude!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.